Notices

Day 11: Second wave?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Day 11: Second wave?

Hey everyone, I'm on Day 12, and I want to thank everyone on these forums for the support.

My first seven days were hell, but it could have been much, much worse. Thankfully I didn't have DT's, nightmares, or seizures, but it was still very mentally painful.

By Day 8, I was at 80%. By Day 10 I was feeling really good. Then came yesterday. At around lunch time, I had what I call a "withdrawal attack". I had one of these on Day 1 too, but back then I assumed it was a seizure coming on. Now I don't know.

Here's what I felt:
  • Sudden sense of awareness and surroundings
  • Trembling
  • Really fast heart beat
  • Chills / Goose Bump feeling
  • Out of body disassociation
  • Face drain
  • Faintness

I'm not asking for medical advice, but has anyone else experienced this? I've tried searching and I can't find anything.

I know it sounds like a panic attack, but I didn't have any panic/fear while it was happening. So I don't know. This peaks for about 5-10 minutes and finally comes down in waves. Sound familiar to anyone?

Also, how long does the anxiety normally last in recovery? I'm taking alprazolam, but I don't want to take it for much longer because I'm scared of getting hooked! :-)

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be anxiety, but it's always best to get checked out by a dr.

I had anxiety long before I began drinking, and I still deal with it now. For me, knowing what it is and putting a name to it, has helped me. It's very unpleasant, but I know that I can get through it.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Can't say that I had anything like that and it does sound a bit like anxiety. You may want to write it down so that if it happens again, or if you decide to see a doctor, you'll have the best description of your symptoms. I also wondered about blood sugar and/or dehydration. I had almost the exact same symptoms when I got really overheated. The truth is, it could probably be a number of things (even a touch of a virus) and only a doctor would be able to narrow it down for you.

Hope you feel better!:day6
Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael
Welcome to SR

well, it may be what I know as anxiety - but none of us are professionals - if you're worried about things like seizures, please see your doctor as soon as possible

I've always been anxious so my anxiety gradually lessened over the weeks...it took me several months to reach a point I felt normal, but I wasn't on any medication and in any case your mileage may vary

Look forward to seeing you around.
D
Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. They were anxiety attacks after all. Like you Dee, I've always had anxiety issues, so I didn't realize that's what it was. On Day 20 now, and they are much milder and further apart now.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to hear that Michael

D