Notices

Anybody solely use this website for their support?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Anybody solely use this website for their support?

Hi, 45 days sober here & a daily attendee to this website (even if just sometimes lurking) .

Question is, are there successful recovering addicts here that do not attend AA or any other support groups? I have attended a couple, the first one was the best.

Since the first one, there are barely any women and I feel uncomfortable. I have not spoken at any of the meetings, due to my need for privacy. I know that no one is there to judge me, I just dont do well with "public speaking". When I go, I can see ppl are looking at me waiting for me to say something. I dont like it afterward when people approach me and start talking to me either. If I wanted to talk, I would during the meeting. I am a very private person, I don't allow people in, and I like it that way.

I also am uncomfortable with the whole "god" thing..... or a "higher power". I believe the only higher power is myself. I have to raise myself above and beyond my past behavior. Only I have this power. No offense, everyone has their own beliefs.

I am very comfortable here. In the short time here, I have come to realize that no one is judgemental, no one points fingers, there are some good discussions and I have no problem jumping in when I want.

WOW...... alot of words for a simple question:

Is is possible to maintain sobriety from this sight alone?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better now than never

[QUOTE=Time4me2Change;2634153]

I am very comfortable here. In the short time here, I have come to realize that no one is judgemental, no one points fingers, there are some good discussions and I have no problem jumping in when I want.

QUOTE]

I didnt mean to make it sound like people at AA are there to judge me or point fingers, I def know their not.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm approaching two months. I also visit here everyday and have remained sober. Still not attending AA as well. I'm not opposed to the idea of a "Higher Power" but my interpretation is much different than most AA members. I really get annoyed when people start talking about what god wants, etc. Anyway, I do believe sharing experiences with fellow addicts helps a whole lot. I'm going to start AA this week. i have been taking a class after work for the past several weeks that ends tomorrow. This would normally result in a celebratory drink for me - which is why i decided to attend a meeting. I plan on approaching things with an open mind and hope i can experience the "spiritual awakening" so many rave about. it will not be easy for me. i have a difficult time believing things I can't fully understand. It has always been my opinion that if god does exist, it is something beyond our comprehension as human beings. This is why i find it so incredibly annoying when people run around pretending they know all about god, and make ridiculous statements like "God will provide" when they are unable to pay their bills, yet go out and spend money on a bunch on nonsense at Walmart. Anyway, i see where you are coming from. SR is a great place for support.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Is is possible to maintain sobriety from this sight alone?
In my case we'll see...... so far so good! I love coming here because it's convenient and I can spend as little or as much time as I like, anytime day or night. I also enjoy the people here - lots of great individuals who are thoughtful and supportive.

I've attended a lot of AA meetings in the past and been to treatment. I still rely on what I learned from my former experiences (keep the Big Book under my bed now, instead of empties!)
Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Hi, Time!

Welcome to SR! You are just staying right place in the internet. I am at this moment staying sobriety over 16 months. I am keeping my sobriety with SR. I am not going to AA often. I have many good friends here. The most benefit of SR differs from other program may be that we can read and ask the thoughts of family and friends of alcoholics.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really only come here. Never been to an NA meeting, have been to AA meetings for court. It works for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better now than never

I know exactly what both of you mean.

Hope - Hard for me to grasp/understand what I cannot see.

Artsoul - Yes, most convinient!!! That is what I love.

Thank you, both of you.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR has been the major part of my recovery.

Rather than typing it out again my programme is in a nutshell here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2531003

I always tell people to try SR by all means...but the fact is many people find they need more....if anybody here finds SR is not enough, please don't hesitate to look for other things to add to your programme.

D
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Ninja & Driving.... two long timers!! Thank you. You give me hope.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I made it over 100 days solely using this site, then relapsed. I think I was a little too confident , looking back. I'm currently looking into AA or some other recovery group to help supplement this site. I need to stay focused and I think, while this site is a great resource, I may need more help that this site alone.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We are all here for the same reason - many us just follow different paths. the one size fits all idea isn't very appealing to me. The part about SR I find attractive is very few people judge one another. it is an extremely supportive place, even for those clearly not doing so well. Hopefully AA will work out that way for me. if not, i'll just continue here. Things started going well for me after the first few weeks. Hang in there.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oops, i see you have 45 days. Good for you. Something must be working.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been checking in here & posting, reading, getting info daily. I've only got x15 days under my belt but so far it's been a great resource for me and reading other people's experiences has kept me strong.

I tried AA two years ago and had a tough experience with other members not maintaining confidentiality outside of the group. I'm sure that's not the case with all AA chapters, but my lack of trust in others was a huge reason of why I didn't reach out for help in the first place.

Welcome!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Thank you Dee, good reading.
Hope- Only time will tell. This is my first try. I usually go months without drinking, but after an incident in May, I am done. So time will tell.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Footnote: Right now, I have no cravings, I don't feel a "need"..... But I do want to be here!!

Thank you everyone!!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
I've been checking in here & posting, reading, getting info daily. I've only got x15 days under my belt but so far it's been a great resource for me and reading other people's experiences has kept me strong.

I tried AA two years ago and had a tough experience with other members not maintaining confidentiality outside of the group. I'm sure that's not the case with all AA chapters, but my lack of trust in others was a huge reason of why I didn't reach out for help in the first place.

Welcome!
I have concerns about anonymity where i live. It is a small college town and all the drunks at the bar pretty much know who all the AA members are. it is easy easier to just disappear from the bars than to someday return and have everyone looking at you wondering what happened. I am definitely not ready to publicly acknowledge my alcoholism. This could to lead to many other problems with employment, social status, etc.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Recovery View Post
I'm approaching two months. I also visit here everyday and have remained sober. Still not attending AA as well. I'm not opposed to the idea of a "Higher Power" but my interpretation is much different than most AA members. I really get annoyed when people start talking about what god wants, etc. Anyway, I do believe sharing experiences with fellow addicts helps a whole lot. I'm going to start AA this week. i have been taking a class after work for the past several weeks that ends tomorrow. This would normally result in a celebratory drink for me - which is why i decided to attend a meeting. I plan on approaching things with an open mind and hope i can experience the "spiritual awakening" so many rave about. it will not be easy for me. i have a difficult time believing things I can't fully understand. It has always been my opinion that if god does exist, it is something beyond our comprehension as human beings. This is why i find it so incredibly annoying when people run around pretending they know all about god, and make ridiculous statements like "God will provide" when they are unable to pay their bills, yet go out and spend money on a bunch on nonsense at Walmart. Anyway, i see where you are coming from. SR is a great place for support.
Your frustration at folks going to walmart and spending all their money made me laugh out loud. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Time!!
I am almost 5 months sober, and haven't had any other support other than SR...which is the best forum on the net!!! Ive been thinking about going to AA, but like you I'm not much into the group thing..I'm really a private person....I'm not ruling it out, but for now I'll come here, and read the recovery books I find along my way!!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Yea, I guess the reason I asked is because I saw a wierd man at the grocery store this afternoon... then realized hes one of the men that keeps talking to me at the AA meetings. Anyhow, I turned and walked quickly to the other side of the VERY large store, picked up some radishes- yum, on ice with salt, turned and he was right behind me!! Kind of creeped me out & now I dont want to go back to AA.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly wouldn't let one guy keep me away from something that's been working.

I dunno about you but I've done enough avoiding and running away in my life, Time.

Are there other meetings? womens only meetings even? someone at your usual meeting you can talk to about this?

D