Notices

Anybody solely use this website for their support?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I certainly wouldn't let one guy keep me away from something that's been working.

D
Thats just it, I have only felt comfortable there the first night, after that I have been uncomfortable. Something won't work if your not comfortable, you do tend to fight it.

Well, since I have just lost my job... I can now attend the womans meeting which is Monday. I will give that a try and let ya know.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went to AA in the past, actually before I discovered crack (long story). SR, and some friends I've made here, have been my main source of support for the past 3+ years.

It works for me, but I DO know where the local AA/NA meetings are, in case I feel it no longer being enough. I also have a few very supportive people in my f2f life, and that helps.

I had a good part of a year clean, lurking here, when I relapsed. I learned that just reading here, didn't work; just putting down the dope didn't work; and so far, I've found what DOES work for me, but it never hurts to have a backup plan, just in case.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Time, I am not going to meetings. (I did years ago, but I wasn't ready to quit back then.) In time I might come around on the meetings. I am only using this site right now. I like reading and talking with people who do use AA here. I used to have hangups about "God" and thought I was atheist or agnostic. I don't use the labels anymore. I think I am a little spiritual now, but I don't really grasp what the higher power is for me clearly. Sometimes when I want to say that we find something in ourselves to quit, I feel myself wanting to edit my phrasing when I remember the higher power idea.

When it comes your partial enjoyment in the meetings, what do you think about the idea of going to a meeting somewhat outside of your community? Do you think that would make you feel less closed up, or would it be the same thing in a different place? Or trying to land in one that is a women's group?

It sounds like you like this site quite a bit, so maybe you should keep doing what does work. And using this remote method you could step away more easily when you wanted. Reading positive stuff on the topic of recovery too, if you like that.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

this site has been my sole support. i quit on sept. 08 of last year. i lived on this site for the first few months. didn't post a ton but read bunches of great advice and knowledge about what alcohol does to our system.

i feel very strong with my sobriety right now and absolutely love 'experiencing' life. it's eye opening where i was on reflection. i am a very content man right now.

i don't make blanket statements. one thing i learned is all of us may be drunks but different things work for different individuals. i'm just not a very dogmatic person though. i'm sure there are folks that believe because i don't attend meetings i am doomed for failure. i certainly hope not but i can make no promises. i don't know that anyone can flat out say they will never drink again. i know i damn sure don't plan on it. i've proven i can't do it moderately and the alternative is just not worth it.

much love to anyone trying to quit. i'm pulling for you no matter what method you use.

david.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was also wondering the same thing so I'm glad you asked. I've been sober for 6 months and have only used this site. I don't plan on relapsing but if I do I know that my next step will be AA. I'm not going now because I've gotten all the information and support I need from this site. Once I read up on how the brain works and the nature of addiction, I realized that I don't want to play around with something that I don't understand that well and that can cause great pain. If I get tempted, I come back here and read up on how much pain it's caused. I've wanted so badly to quit and thanks to SR, I'm staying that way one day at a time.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm 2 and 1/2 weeks away from 2 years.
Your question prompted me to go check the sobertime clock for the first time in a long time. It tells me I'm over 61 million heartbeats into sobriety. Feels great.
Never been to a meeting but I came here pretty much daily for months and it's been a great help all along.
The most important part is your attitude and when you find what helps you with that, stick with it.
BTW, if you haven't gone over and checked out the secular areas of SR you might want to give that a try at some point.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Time,

If AA doesn't do it for you, don't go. I support your sobriety however you get it. Although I go to AA daily - sometimes more than once a day - I know exactly what you are talking about. There are some sick people in AA, and sick groups too.

Southern Florida is a big place and has tons of meetings, if you feel the need you should try different meetings. Maybe a women's only meeting.

At any rate good luck in sobriety.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've only used this site so far and it's working for me. I guess all of 'cope' in different ways. Some people need to go to meetings to speak with others and have direct contact. In my case, I want to beat this on my own and then I know I've won. I find other SR members postings are all I need for the strength and encouragement for me to do this and I draw on that strength to get me though the day.

Hope that all made sense as sometimes I lose the plot and write total garbage!

Best Wishes all,

Spikeman.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Time everyone has to find their own way:-)

One thing i would ask to your question though if anyone says that they use SR solely for their recovery is how long they have been doing this for, i assume you want to stay sober for a long period?

Also i would also ask if they use anything else at all and if not how did they suddenly turn around x years of addiction...by magic or were there any serious changes involved?

The reason i say this is because what you have asked is a very open ended question and you want to 'follow' someone on the path to recovery not on the path to where you have just come from...thats just plain logical for us all!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This site alone has helped carry me through five months. In fact, I have been somewhat in awe of the people who come here, whether they're 10 years sober or on day 1. In spite of the difficulties all of us have faced or are facing, there seems a consistent thread of camaraderie and compassion amongst my fellow alcoholics. An important part of SR is that it has valuable resources to help you stop drinking... it was here I heard about the book, Under the Influence, which was pivotal is making me realize how devastating alcohol can be. Also seeing the graphic videos of terminally ill alcoholics made me fully realize no alcohol "buzz" could ever compensate for the path of ruin it leads to. I have also been knocked out by the dogged determination of so many to keep trying, and the humility of others who help them. But the real underlying value of SR has been the spontaneous generosity of its participants who daily spend hours of their own time helping others. This online fellowship is truly astounding.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

never been to AA or any other type of support groups. I will not use Dr prescribed drugs to solve my alcohol problem or keep the withdrawls from getting to me because I need to feel all of it good/bad whatever. I have been numb long enough plus for me that would be like putting a bandaide on my problem and wont help to solve it in a long run.
I never gave quiting a serious try until now. I feel like if I am going to stop it has to come from me thats just the way I am there has never been any magic bullets to solve any of my other life issues so why would this be any different?
I really like SR and reading all the stories and being able to relate to the struggles of others.
it also helps me a lot to be able to say what I have on my mind whether good or bad without judgement. I reread what I have said to help me understand how and why I am in this place and my history that got me here.
I hope that make sense. I have been dry for 14 days today. I broke my all time record of 9 days without booze and that feels good! I know it my heart I needed to be ready to change or it would not work... I'm ready..
Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

A lot of it is about Change.

Whatever method you may use then you must fundamentally change both people, places and things and also crucially in your mind. No change then surely no sobriety.

I would imagine that most of the long-time sobriety people that accredit SR solely for their recovery have done much more than merely just read and post. I would imagine they actively 'live' a recovery lifestyle and mindset and use SR as a means to provide the grounding and outlook to be able to gain experience, stregth and hope (to coin AA terminology).

I know for me then the person that I am now is not the same person that I was before I finally got sober 8th July 09. If I was then I would either have drank again (most likely) or be a total git to be around ie- full of resentment, anger and frustration. Just minus the booze.

I find I have to use AA to keep me gratefully sober. SR is also my bedrock of my recovery too. I am extremely grateful for SR and wouldn't be still sober without it. AA + SR work great together. + much wisdom and inspiration from elsewhere too.

peace
Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I actually didn't find this site until 3 years after getting sober, and I haven't been to an AA meeting since the 90's. Even though my life has been so much better without the alcohol I have recently been feeling that there is more room for improvement in my life. Since childhood, I have had unresolved anxiety and depression issues that I am trying to get help for now. What drew me to this site initially was that there is a section in these forums about anxiety problems. As i am reading all the posts about recovering and struggling alcoholics, I am finding this to be helpful and supportive - I feel I can relate to many people on here and it helps me to feel less alone in my recovery.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I just passed the one year sober mark a couple of days ago. I use no formal program, however I do have a few family members and a couple of very close friends that have helped me a lot. In fact, they were very relieved to find out that I wanted to quit and they have held me accountable. I also visit here almost every day. I find that SR keeps me focused on my recovery.

The one thing that's different for me this time is the realization that I had to change my entire outlook, otherwise I'd find myself right back on that alcoholic cycle. The thought of one beer, let alone my usual 12-18 per day, holds no appeal for me anymore.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Better now than never

Thank you to everyone for your insight. I have to agree with almost everyone when they say that everyone is different & each has to find their own path. My family is my greatest support. Instead of me waking up with them mad at me, when I finally admitted I needed help, they embraced me. I will try a womans only meeting Monday evening and see how that goes. Again, thank you for your advice/comments. Right now I am grateful for this site.

Where elso can you lounge in your pj's with your coffee mug and get support!

PS... I also quite smoking four months ago!!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
This site alone has helped carry me through five months. In fact, I have been somewhat in awe of the people who come here, whether they're 10 years sober or on day 1. In spite of the difficulties all of us have faced or are facing, there seems a consistent thread of camaraderie and compassion amongst my fellow alcoholics. An important part of SR is that it has valuable resources to help you stop drinking... it was here I heard about the book, Under the Influence, which was pivotal is making me realize how devastating alcohol can be. Also seeing the graphic videos of terminally ill alcoholics made me fully realize no alcohol "buzz" could ever compensate for the path of ruin it leads to. I have also been knocked out by the dogged determination of so many to keep trying, and the humility of others who help them. But the real underlying value of SR has been the spontaneous generosity of its participants who daily spend hours of their own time helping others. This online fellowship is truly astounding.

Great post, AWOL!

SR really is a special place.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Me! I have 2 years....which I treasure like a child!

I think a huge key (besides SR) for me, is that I read everything I can get my hands on. Mostly, to look at myself from the inside....out.

When I was drunk....I didn't care how I came across, you could take me or leave me. Now, I want to be a better person. I don't care if you don't like me....but I want ME to like me, now.

Great Thread!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

since joining in at SR i've had more sobriety than I've had in over 20 years. I've had weekly therapy sessions that did not help me as much as speaking and participating here have...I especially like the Gratitude section, it helps me almost every day.

this website fills the need I have to keep me on the right track, it works for me (and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

i read about a lot of the others experience in and out of programs, their struggles too and appreciate their opinions and sharing.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I think this site rocks. I live in a rural place. There is no way I would go to a meeting in the closest small town (20 miles away) due to small town syndrome. Not that the people are bad, I just don't want to put myself there. Nor do I want to do all that driving. Years ago I did go to a few meetings when I was visiting larger cities and I thought they were great. Whatever works at the time, I say. I love checking in with you all.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This has been my sole means of support. Going on 14 months. I think I'd do well in AA, but I've always viewed that as my final lifeline. So far, so good with sobriety and SR.