Notices

bittersweet birthday today

Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bittersweet birthday today

It's my birthday today and I haven't had a drink in 14 days. I'm 32 today and this will be the first birthday I've been sober since I turned 15. My motivation to quit drinking is health related. Months ago, my doc informed me that I may have major liver damage and he told me to quit drinking and get my bloodwork re-done x2 months from then (February)

That news made me hit the bottle harder until the end of May. I got on a x9 day sobriety stretch, fell off the wagon and now I haven't had a drink in exactly x2 weeks.

I'm trying to get on a roll to screw up the courage to get my bloodwork done but in the meantime I'm totally worried sick about what the prognosis will be. The horrible pain in my organs I had after a few days of not drinking aren't as bad now but they're still there reminding me of the damage throughout the day.

The worst part is I'm an educated guy who works in the health care field. I knew I was mortgaging my body over these past years. I never had the tools to deal with my anxiety on my own and the liquor stores were always a quick solution. Booze really worked for me in a sense and although alcohol has been my master for the past x10 years, I was able to avoid the rock-bottom pitfalls of DUI's, financial ruin, and failed relationships. I wish one of those things was the rock-bottom for me instead of liver failure being the end o' the line.

As numerous cards filled with b-day wishes filled my mailbox today and a whole ton of friends give me great wishes on Facebook I realize how stupid I've been compromising my existence by my own hands. I read that someone with cirrosis of the liver has (best case scenario) of diminishing a mean-average of 21-26 years off their life expectancy.

Thanks for listening and I hope this hasn't sounded like a complete pity party. I always been a high-functioning alcoholic who has a great family, friends, g/f, house, and job. It all doesn't matter for much if you're gone so early in life. I just know this is going to be bad.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, the liver has a remarkable ability to heal as long as you quit drinking. If you are not in active liver failure now... Ascites, esophageal varicies, bleeding, hepatic encephalopathy ... You have a good chance of having a relatively normal life... If you quit drinking.

Stop drinking and get recovered. Are you willing to go to any lengths? Not just to save your @ss, but to have a life beyond your wildest dreams? You can, are you ready to do the work?

Happy birthday!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't know anything for sure until you go, MM.
I was terrified too - but my prognosis was far better than I feared.

I hope you have the same experience
...and Happy Birthday

D
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

MM...this could be the best birthday to celebrate the rest of your life.

It's up to you.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday and congratulations on the 2 weeks.
You can do this, you proven this to yourself so far.
I agree with Mark, the liver does have a remarkable ability to hear itself if you continue to abstain. You might even sursprise yourself with the results of your blood results.
Make that appointment for the tests and keep us all imformed.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy bellybutton and way to go with the two weeks. Everybody here that has what we have started with the same prognosis. My fears were always worse than the diagnosis. You should find out though so you don't make up your mind it's hopeless and start over. You're on the path, don't let nothing knock you off, especially you. God Bless
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Red face

..i'm 2wks as well..and a blood test looming also..

..i know i'll be fine..this time..maybe not..next time?? Ozy..

:day1
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Happy Birthday Man..
Old 06-22-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had my first sober birthday since 15 at 33....

At 29 years old in the hospital for an inflammed liver I was told I was headed for a liver transplant if I did not quit drinking. Drank for 3 more years with that knowledge. As others have said the liver is a resilent organ provided we don't soak it with any more booze. At 34 mine is fine today, all thanks to quitting drinking 2 years ago.

Happy Sober Birthday and wish you the best.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi mercurial,

Happy Birthday and good job on your recent sobriety. Get your test's done and go from there - that's all you can do for now. Good Luck and keep us informed ok?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday - you have lots to live for and that is a fabulous reminder in your sobriety! Keep it up, your health can only get better !!!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
part time member

You can do this!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

:day1 Way to go on 2 weeks! I'm sending positives thoughts and prayers your way and hoping for the best for you. Every day sober is another chance for your body to heal.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!

I admire the strength you have to stay sober on your birthday. Keep it up!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I'm pulling for you, man - happy bday.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

First of all: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! My birthday is in 3 weeks and I'm wondering how I'll handle celebrating it w/o the booze. I admire your courage and send you a huge congratulations for doing so!

Second: congratulations on reaching 2 weeks! That's really something to be proud of.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the thoughtful messages! I had a low-key evening with my g/f and remained sober. Going for my test early next week so I'll know shortly how good/bad the results are.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday!

None of us know how long we have to live. We really can only deal with today and do the best we can.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Way to go and good luck. We can get sober no matter what and you can be proof of that.