Notices

For the short time I knew you all, thank you

Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For the short time I knew you all, thank you

I've made the decision to leave this site. I have been a member of other online support groups before but nothing like this. I have been censored a number of times today for 'alleged' fringes of non-existent terms of this site. It is blatently clear that unless you have a substantial degree of sobriety under your belt, you are not appreciated here. And heaven forbid I try to express an opinion or play devils advocate. I'm not a sheep, I'm not a follower, and this is my sobriety journey, no one elses. I can't see anyone else get hurt by this site anymore. And I hope a stop is put to it. Good bye.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hope you find a place more to your liking. Take care.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck Lilly

D
Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stop being condescending. I don't expect replies to this post. FOr the one person I've made friends with, I will PM you with my details. Please don't let this site get to u. It's not healthy
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I hope I don't have that attitude when I'm sober.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Hope you're able to find some peace. Take care.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
Hope you're able to find some peace. Take care.
Thank you but unfortunately it's not about peace. It's about a place where I don't feel like my opinions are censored left right and centre. I'm supportive of everyone's recovery whatever way shape or form. But unfortunately I can't express that.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Not sure what you needed with this thread....you've been offered well wishes from very kind people. And, like it or not....I wish you the best as well.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Not sure what you needed with this thread....you've been offered well wishes from very kind people. And, like it or not....I wish you the best as well.
It's endemic! I wish you the best well and I do like you wish me the best. But like it or not, it's not just the addictive substance that got us all here and the past few hours has taught me that people's need to belong and not be suffocated by alcohol, dictates this more than most ppl acknowledge, and I want to be able to say things and not be shot down, deleted or censored. I want support and sorry I'm not an angel. I still asked for it and couldnt' get it because I'm not a sober angel.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lilly, I think I have an idea where this post is coming from, based on a different thread I saw.

When you say that a person only counts when they have a "substantial" amount of sober time under their belt, that part is just way off-base. You must be forgetting about all the people that come through here every day and a dozen people drop their welcomes on their thread from all over the place. They're not told to come back when they have a minimum downpayment. I haven't been counting stats, but it seems like the newbie sections are the places where most of the interaction happens - among them people with sober time between a fraction of a day to over 20 years.

I navigated around the other day to look at what else was out there on related topics - just to investigate a little, not out of a quest for a new forum per se - and I didn't hang around the other places that long. There's a really good participation level here and lots of different backgrounds and approaches.

What's worked well for me in a few cases is to either let it go by or to take another look. I didn't do that well when I felt cantankerous. I did well when I kept my mind open, and ended up with more people to talk with than before.

When it comes to someone who has been drinking, well, I either dip into the conversation with them or I stay out of it if I don't feel equipped. There have been times I wanted to help someone and wouldn't let myself post because I didn't think I would do them any good and someone else would do better.

You have to do what is right for you, but hopefully you can gain something from it in your own way too.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Toronto68;2632194]Lilly, I think I have an idea where this post is coming from, based on a different thread I saw.

When you say that a person only counts when they have a "substantial" amount of sober time under their belt, that part is just way off-base. You must be forgetting about all the people that come through here every day and a dozen people drop their welcomes on their thread from all over the place.

What I mean toronto is that I have been disturbed about a number of posts from 'sober' people, that I can guarantee they wouldn't have said back when they were starting on this journey. It is not an admirable quality of human nature to hurt those who have not travelled as far down the path as you. That's why I said I'm conceited after 7 days. When that's a drop in the ocean for someone with 1 year or 2 or more. But everyone should feel as welcome as each other and I hope this site sees this.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyrose
Please don't let this site get to u. It's not healthy
I think you should take your own advice.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I think you should take your own advice.
Sheep, followed, follow .... ditto

From now on this site is a good bye THREAD. If you're not sad to see me go, don't post. Because it just proves you are all the cynical hypocritical people your opinions show you to be
Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lilly, I took a couple of minutes to snoop through some of your recent posts (not really snooping, but clicking through the other threads). I didn't see your mention of the "conceited" thing yet, but I did see your "7 days" and also saw you being pumped about the June Group just yesterday, in bold type, etc.

I think I am a little more clueless than I thought at first, as far as what is going on. No idea about the "censorship", whether literal or metaphorical.

Whatever it is, I would be more comfortable knowing you're not upset, but I can only say so much.

I'll hope to see you around later.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you toronto. Well i was very upset and my OCD made me feel very bad when I expressed my opinion about a past drink driving post. And now when I've tried to stick up for sleepie, one of the few that has fullly accepted my opinion and myself here, I've been censored and can't even post abotu it! I don't mean harm and this website must be a blessing for those who it works for. But for me, If i'm going to be censored, I'm going to feel so suppressed, I'm going to want to drink to break free - that is the story of my life.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to get pissed at my home group in AA and threaten to leave....

Then I realized that I would only be hurting myself, and to be truthful, nobody really cares.

Its the internet first of all so although this site is incredibly helpful, take some of what you hear with a grain of salt...

If people have annoyed you here stick around and annoy them back :-)

Also its good training for a sober life, I hate to keep my mouth shut at work despite some messed up stuff, AA taught me to do that... so if you have to adjust your speech a bit on SR that is good practice for the real world, just a thought.

in all seriousness this site is a valuable tool in sobriety and it might not be a good idea to throw the tool out.

Hope you stay
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Chops - I have annoyed them back but my posts get deleted! I mean no harm, just expressing an opinion. But apparently if it's not PG 13+ and christian approved, it's not welcome
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm pretty patient but I've had enough.

This is SR not the Lillyrose Show.

You wanted a platform, you've had it - now it's time to either go or stay.

It's your choice Lilly and I, sincerely, wish you well in whatever you decide.

D