Notices

I've hit it.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've hit it.

Hi, I am new here and this is my final resort. After I have completely ruined what was supposed to be a nice fathers day for my husband by blacking out for part of the day.

I am here for support and to help me with my struggles with addiction. I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

Welcome Candy,
We have all so been there.
nn
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Candy!

I understand how you feel.

You'll find lots of support here!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hi Candy. welcome and good luck to you. Recovery is quite simple.........but it's not necessarily easy. Be open minded and willing to change (remember, the best your brain has landed you in the mess you're in.....) and you'll do just fine. In fact, you'll be shocked at how cool life can be.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Candy,

Like Notnormal said, we've all "been there done that" when it comes to the various special things in life that are destroyed by our addictive behavior and illness. I have personally made a mockery of so many important events/days for both myself and my loved ones - by being blotto drunk and/or blacking out.

No reason to beat yourself up over it, just use it as the impetus for that change you've always known was coming. "Screwing up" is just another day for us as long as we remain drunks, but those days can be forever gone. Just do the work.

Believe me you are in the right spot to learn the techniques and tools to stay sober. People here are wonderful. Keep posting, keep coming back, and most importantly, keep away from booze.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Candy. You'll find a lot of support here. Look forward to reading more from you as you continue this journey.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, Candy. And welcome.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! What is your recovery plan?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

@Smacked - I don't know. I am so lost as to where to start. I was hoping I could find some guidance in the right direction - besides not drinking.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Candy, I join the others in welcoming you. I found this site the day I stopped drinking, and that was 89 days ago. Sober Recovery has been a big help for me. AA has also helped tremendously. I went to 4 meetings that first day, and I've kept coming back ever since. It's a wonderful thing to be able to talk to others who have been through some of the same experiences that you have. Good luck to you and keep asking questions. You'll get a lot of answers, but it's up to you to decide which answers you like.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you found us. You will find many plans for recovery here. My suggestion is take one that you feel will work best for you, and work it with all of your might. As we know, the grip of addiction is a strong one. Stick with us.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Candy, I'm new too. Speaking of a 'recovery plan', I haven't even thought about it yet either, but I can tell you weight has been lifted off my shoulders in making the decision to try sober living, and finding this online support group.
Someone today gave me advice for the first few days, which is to outright avoid the trigger times/stresses that make you pick up a drink; for example, I always crack a beer or pour a cocktail when I get home from work--instead, this week, I'm going out for coffee with friends after work, heading to a softball game, etc. I honestly don't know if this tactic will work but I'll try it.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Galago View Post
Hi Candy, I'm new too. Speaking of a 'recovery plan', I haven't even thought about it yet either, but I can tell you weight has been lifted off my shoulders in making the decision to try sober living, and finding this online support group.
Someone today gave me advice for the first few days, which is to outright avoid the trigger times/stresses that make you pick up a drink; for example, I always crack a beer or pour a cocktail when I get home from work--instead, this week, I'm going out for coffee with friends after work, heading to a softball game, etc. I honestly don't know if this tactic will work but I'll try it.
That is the rough time for me as well. Its all I can think about on my drive home. I always tell myself I will not stop at the liquor store, yet its almost like my car pulls in itself, day after day. It makes me feel ill when I think of all the money I have spent on wine or vodka when all along I could have taken that money and put it in my daughters savings. Coffee is a good idea. I don't sleep well anyhow so it won't really effect me.

Maybe I will take my little girl to the library or park this evening instead of sitting at home.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by candyheiress View Post
Thank you everyone.

@Smacked - I don't know. I am so lost as to where to start. I was hoping I could find some guidance in the right direction - besides not drinking.
I also found this site the day I quit - 59 days ago today. SR is a massive help towards staying sober if utilized properly. It is a 24/7 support group full of people who have been where you are and seen through the rough stuff. SR carries with it boatloads of info and people who can help you find/work a plan besides "just not drinking" that is.

Few things I've learned;
1. The thing that gets you sober will NEVER keep you sober for long.
2. Getting help from communities and like-minded people will improve your odds significantly. Look into SMART/AA/Rational Recovery/Addiction counselling, or any combination of these.
2. "Not drinking" and "recovery" are 2 very different things. The first just right sucks, and the latter is an awesome journey of self discovery.
3. "One day at a time" is not just a catch phrase, it's a very simple and effective weapon against cravings and the inevitable thoughts that quitting is too difficult.

For me to quit I had a great deal of help thanks to hitting a very lousy bottom. Being scared of dying is quite the motivating thing. However, without taking the time to learn - mostly by reading here and following advice - I'd be out pounding back the bottles again for sure. What keeps me sober, to date, is knowing I am not alone in the battle and that I can't expect to succeed doing it "my way" or "alone".

We need help with this thing because it has a power over us that we can't hope to ever control or negotiate.

Here's a few links that helped me in my first few days (thanks again NewBeginning!).
Big Book Online
Earls Story (really compelling - do listen)
Old School AA Study Tapes
Rain In My Heart (A very poignant documentary on our illness)

Oh, and congratulations on taking the first step!!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Candy- HA! Yes, that is exactly what I do everyday too! I even have the route home mapped out in my head for where the liquor stores are in reference to where I am on the route.
And I completely agree about the $$. Like, thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent poisoning my liver. And what kinds of awesome things I could have done with that money instead.
But you can't dwell on that thinking... really negative, dragging thoughts.

Good idea about the library or park! Try it and see how it goes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Candy

Binder and Galago have already touched on most of things I think are important.

I recommend everyone sees a Dr, cos although most folks are fine, detox can sometimes be a problem for some....I also recommend everyone at least looks into some of the recovery groups around.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

You'll find a lot of support here of course, but I reckon you can never have too much support.

Hope to see you around some more
D
Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm new to sobriety as well. Today is day 4 and I won't lie - I am craving it so, so much. I'm off to fitness boot camp in 15 minutes. But usually after boot camp I'd go to the liquor store and then come home and drink the rest of the night. Sigh.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

eleanor - just for today, you don't need to pick up a drink. Just one day at a time. Good luck :-)
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Candy! (Galago and Eleanor, too):day6 I can't add much to what binder said, but just try to keep things at a low stress level, and don't think about never drinking again - just take it one day (or one hour) at a time. Come here and read and post when things get tough.

Are you going through withdrawals at all? It's definitely a good thing to have a doctor's help/support if you are.

You can do this! We're here to encourage you and tell you: it really does get better!