Notices

Fresh start ... again!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Fresh start ... again!

I found you all last July and kicked the ol' wine bottle for about nine months. Yea! But on my birthday about a month ago, I had a small glass of wine. No big buzz. About a week later, I had a beer. Lately, it's become more frequent. No nasty drunkeness and no evil hangover -- yet; but I see the old patterns emerging. Recently I've been drinking alone; a couple glasses of wine. If I don't do something now, I'll be back to my old ways in no time.

Being sober was great and I'm going to work to get that back. Waking up each morning without the haze (and guilt) of alcohol was amazing. Coping with tough situations with my brain and real emotions rather than with alcohol was great. Startling how quickly that can all slip away.

June 21/Solstice will make a great 1st day of sobriety to remember. I appreciate the wisdom you all have to share and am grateful for your support. Peace.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're being really proactive in nipping this thing in the bud. Way to go & happy first day o' summer tomorrow!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Who Farted?

Hey Skeeter, welcome back. Congrats on all that sober time, but absolutely...get it back. I'm curious if you are an alcoholic? If so, birthday or not, why drink again? Do you attend AA or some other support group? Wish you the best, seems like you have a great attitude.

Traid.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Skeeter))) - Welcome back!!

I think it's totally awesome that you're doing this now, rather than waiting until you're at the "getting totally wasted and hungover" stage...way to go!! You've got 9 months of recovery to build on, strengthen what WAS working, ditch what wasn't.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with all these wise folks
Welcome back Skeeter

D
Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome back. Wise move to put an end to it now....while you can.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all. June 21 -- longest day of the year for those of us in the northern hemisphere. I hope to make the most of it. Wishing you all the best!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skeeter2 View Post

Waking up each morning without the haze (and guilt) of alcohol was amazing.
THAT is the absolute best feeling, isn't it? I loathed myself each morning I'd wake up after drinking. Waking up without the haze, guilt and beating myself up feels amazing.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi and welcome back and isnt it just great, we are all still here, some fresh faces as well, the family just keeps growing. Wish u all the best in dealing with this before it takes over. Keep posting!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Traid77: Am I an alcoholic? I'd say I've always been a little troubled by my relationship with alcohol. I'm an introvert and it really helped me to be comfortable in social situations. But clearly, there were red flags. And why my birthday? donno ... It wasn't something I planned on. In the previous 9 months I had made it through various vacations, the holidays, several sports tournaments I participated in and no thought about drinking. Then, suddenly I was like, "Sure, I'll have a glass of wine." Alcohol -- sneaky little sucker!

Plus, I lost 12 pounds while sober -- not that I didn't have to work at it, but it helped not to have the alcohol calories.

Today I start my sober journey anew. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really believe that drinking alone is the most dangerous, no one to measure against or be embarrassed in front of, no monitor and no clear ending point. Some people can drink moderately and socially without the risk of such danger. Most of us here simply can't. The simple reality is that it's better not to take the risk at all.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Skeeter you and I have close to the same story, although my sobriety only lasted a couple of months and I started thinking I could have just one glass of wine here and there. NOT. I came back this weekend. Yesterday was a sober day, today will be one too.

We are all in this together, and together we will succeed!