Notices

Stinking Thinking

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stinking Thinking

The old classic 'stinking thinking'. It's a classic little AA coined phrase.

It's crucial to be able to recognise when you're slipping into this kind of thinking/mindset. If you were never even in recovery then you wouldn't even know that your thinking was deviating from the desired path.

Recovery has given me real self-awareness and clarity of thought, apart from when I'm going through a touch of the old stinking thinking. Then it's a case of working my recovery to get back into the clear, positive, gratitude thinking.

I tend to find that when my mind wonders outside of the present day then my thinking is liable to deviate. But it's really quite cool all of this recovery and sobriety.

I always find a sense of comfort in knowing that I ain't alone in my alcoholism, though for certain things it can sometimes feel that way. It's all working out though one day at a time.

The most important thing is to always take care of the basics well when it's going real effortlessly and your mind is in perfect harmony so that the 'tools' are there for when the balance is slightly off.

Keeping sober one day at a time is essential. I will never be able to have a sesh and do lines and pills and drink booze listening to music and just kicking back laughing and getting wrecked and wasted? Just for today then that's OK because I'm an alcoholic and addict.

peace
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the post, NEO. The most dangerous kind of thinking for me has been when I'm tempted to glamourize drinking, remembering only the good times and imagining that I'm missing out on something by being in sobriety.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Trying to drink without consequences was exhausting and ultimately didn't work. Alcohol affected every area of my life. I'm fortunate that I wasn't hospitalized, that I didn't run over someone in my car, that I stopped before my house was taken away from me.

When I start to think my problems are bigger than someone else's, or that I can drink again without consequences, I come here and read people's first posts. It reminds me that this is not about being able to have a drink at a party. It's about people's lives being destroyed everyday. Stinking thinking only happens for me when I forget that.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely awesome post and exactly what I needed to read today.

I can totally relate to the glamorization, when in reality my sober mind can recognize that the times were never as fun as they were made out to be. I don't ever ever ever remember waking up and thinking that the days of hangover were worth the 'party'.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post NEO

One of the pitfalls of alcohol is that it reduces consciousness of who we really are and what we are really doing. Sobriety has enabled me to be more conscious of the thoughts that come and go and to make conscious choices. Yes, I have stinking thinking... and I recognize it and observe it. It's just thought. Not so long ago, I would have grabbed the thought and run with it to the nearest pub. Walking on the mountain the other day, the thought entered my mind "hell, a cold beer or two would be brilliant after this" I looked at that thought for about 15 minutes, then the thought got tired and floated off into the stratosphere, where it popped like a tired balloon. I went home and had an ice cream and coke. Mmmm
Old 06-19-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My stinkin' thinkin' was what always 'made me' go get wine to drink when the going got rough. Nice being rid of that now...
Old 06-19-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Yes, my gray matter still tries to wage war with me. I've had a sort of rough time between my 5th and 7th months. I just observe my thoughts, let them come and let them go. I am much more at peace once again.