Notices

Christian recovery vs 12 steps.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christian recovery vs 12 steps.

So, as you all know ive been in and outta here as well as in and out of the 12 step program for years. Well i crossed a line this week that id rather not say as of the triggering of others, but i was introduced into a program that treats alcohol as a sin instead of a disease.. instead of finding a higher power they use god which, in my case, i am fine with. It is a 60 day program and there is a strict bible study "program".
Well what im getting to is im wondering if they will be more worried about how i study the teachings of god instead of my recovery..

Any tips on how to grasp this situation or has anyone tried on of these programs before?
Ive tried everything else so might as well try this one before its to late.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've looked at this issue, too. Is this is a sin or a disease? Personally speaking, I have found it easier to accept it as a disease and when I hear other alcoholics describe their problem, the common "symptoms" we all share have reinforced that view. AA offers a programme which is spiritual and certainly doesn't conflict with Christian ideas. The advantage, I would suggest, is that it has a flexible concept of God, which makes it more inclusive. But as others have said, why not try this Christian programme because you may find it provides a good framework for your recovery.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

"... im wondering if they will be more worried about how i study the teachings of god instead of my recovery...

"Any tips on how to grasp this situation or has anyone tried on of these programs before?
Ive tried everything else so might as well try this one before its to late..."

I know folks in Alcoholics Victorious (a Christian-based recovery program), and have been involved in Celebrate Recovery (another Christ-based recovery program).....I think you'll find that in your Bible study, you'll be studying the teachings of God (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit) AND learning how these teachings relate to your recovery..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 06-18-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

God is my higher power, and I don't have a problem with the notion that if you know that first drink is going to lead to a drunken binge that hurts yourself and others, then its a sin to take it.

I agree with keepcominback - what's the potential downside to trying something different?

Best of luck!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Whatever works! I have no idea what you're talking about, but there's tons of 'programs' around. Luckily.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lonelyranger, I'll share with you what I hope for myself, and perhaps it could be something to hope to achieve in this program, as well.

I'm hitting up Celebrate Recovery tonight (Christian-based 12 step, as previously mentioned), because I need to wrap my head around a couple of key spiritual concepts. First, I've got to really accept God's grace and forgiveness. Second, I've got to learn to tap into the strength God will provide.

That is to say, maybe a fresh approach such as placing more focus on your spirituality will aid your recovery. Let us know how it's going.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did a similar course by correspondence, for two months. There was a big emphasis on recovery as well as the Bible Study, there was daily accountability and reflection - it was probably even harder and demanding than AA. Their approach was different to 12 steps, in several ways. They didn't like the use of labels. Alcoholism was viewed as a sin resulting from a distorted relationship with God. Salvation was through accepting Christ. (If that sounds fundamentalist, I'm actually quite an easygoing person in real life.) It worked for me, I'm long term sober. I'm understanding of people who choose AA though, there just aren't that many f2f options for lots of people.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to see you back lonelyranger

D
Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm christian and believe the Bible literally, and it talks about alcohol A LOT..

For me the sin concept absorbs better, since my beliefs are so strong. So thats why drinking was 2 edged.. I knew I was sinning and sometimes led to lying ect..

Great site.. 75 Biblical Warnings about Alcohol from the Bible

75 Bible References on Drinking Alcohol
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanx guys, I really appreciate the insight here, always have. I believe this could turn my life around. It has been 4 years since my last recovery program and i dont belive that i was really ready for it then.. now i am.... once again thanx.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just took a look at the bible verses "ready2quit" i really appreciate you bringing that to my attention. Dont wanna put to much on here to offend someone of different beliefs but theres a few that made me sit back and really think hard. I want to share one with yall.

Woe to those who get up early to drink and those who stay up late at night to get drunk.
Woe to "champion" drinkers and "experts" at mixing drinks.

and this one got me.

Drinkers SEEK their own gain, and EXPECT the same tomorrow.
now were have i heard something similar to that one before. Thanx again imreadytoquit.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you took time. Professing a faith should not offend others. If it does, so be it. The Bible is my program, as long as I stick by the rules in it, I am sober and a better person, if I deviate from the "program", I'm destined for a terrible life. It's that simple for me.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LonelyRanger,
AA has no monopoly on recovery. There are plenty of programs available, and what matters is whether a particular program works for you. Like the Big Book says, "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer
SusanLauren
Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes it amazed me too in my course how much in the Bible can apply to addiction, you can go very deeply into it. Alcohol is a false idol. Doing the daily study and prayer really kept me on track for the first 60 days. I rethought a lot of what I thought I knew, renewed my stale faith - it probably taught me a lot more than any other Bible study I'd undertaken. At times it was extremely challenging, but we were always reminded and brought back to the love of the Saviour. If you're ready for the message and able to take it, it may really pay off for you. All the best.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AMEN... I'm a parent of a 21 year old drug addict who is spinning out of control.
I pray to GOD that my son will awaken soon from this pit of HELL we are all in. He has been in and out of different types of rehabs and jail and still has NO desire to quit.
How it breaks my heart to hear him say that.

I would love to hear him say he wants help and that he would go to a Christian Based Rehab. I am a person of faith and totally believe that a big part of his problem is being out of GOD's will, he wants no accountability. I can only pray that GOD will open my son's eyes. I see GOD reaching out to my son in many ways, but still my son's eyes and heart remain closed.

For those of you who truly want to remain sober I believe incorporating the Bible in your recovery is key to staying clean.

God's word never changes, but isn't it amazing how HIS words can dance of the page and change your heart and renew your mind and soul.

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU THAT ARE IN RECOVERY.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

whatever works for you works. i've found that any spiritual teaching that resonates within my heart is applicable to my recovery.