Notices

help from hydro's, my evil neccessity

Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help from hydro's, my evil neccessity

Hello, I have been reading these posts, and the people seem great. I am going to look for a NA around my home. I just realized and admitted I’m an alcoholic and addict. I’ve been in denial for 25 yrs. Since I was 15 if I wasn’t drinking, I was smoking, snorting or dropping out. Then I found this damn blue pill. Next thing I know I'm bragging to my friends “I quit drinking, for this reason or that reason" all the time knowing I’m lying. I just jumped from the booze to pills.

I have bulging and protruding disks in the lower l1 and s1 area, with the infamous degenerative disk disease... so by the end of the day, my back is so tight with sharp stabbing pain. I started taking the pills to get some relief. All was good until I needed 2 pills for the same results, and instead of being honest with my dr., I started dr. shopping, and now I’m up to taking 3 month supplies each month. Almost put us in financial ruins, luckily I have a good wife, who will hold me accountable, but will let me recover.

So, my question is, I have a 90 day supply left and was wondering if I should try to tapper myself off, gradually. Decreasing my use each day until the pills are almost gone go to my Dr and inform him of what is going on, hopefully the WD's wouldn’t be too horrible. (I plan on giving the pill bottle to my wife, so I do not have access to them). Or go the Dr immediately, inform him of my addiction and proceed with pain management for an addict? I am afraid of the WD's, I ran out about 6 months ago, while I was working out of state, and had a couple of horrible days until I got back home.

I just am tired of the constant pain, and the constant feeling of depression knowing I’m an addict and can’t do anything about it.

Thanks for letting me vent and sorry for my horrible grammar.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Cruzantx,

it's great that you recognize you need help and want to stop. We're not doctors, though, and shouldn't be giving you medical advice. Are you afraid to come clean with your doctor because admitting you have a problem means he'll stop prescribing meds? Painkillers are no joke and you may need a doctor's supervision to get off them.

GG
Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! TAke a look at our substance abuse forum. Lots of support and advice there from people in a similar situation.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cruzantx,

Welcome

I'm a big believer in bringing in outside help...I dunno about you but I needed the outside perspective - my drugs of choice were different but my self-medicating was just as out of control.

Stop the cycle now - go see your Dr. and get their advice

D
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thnks for the responces, i am scared because of my dr shopping, i talked to my wife, gave her my pills. I am going out of town for work, since i have to work and am not ina position to take off. As soon as I get back to town I am going to my Dr and come clean. Tell him i got addicted and need non narcotic relief. Also I'm looking for NA meetings in the town im going to. I will be back in town next friday, and that will be my last day on opiates and I will have Sat and Sun to go through the 1st part of hell. Thankfully I have a wonderfull lady who will be managing me, as I said she has my bottle now.

i am looking for the day when i am pill free.