Notices

Lorazapam?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lorazapam?

Doctor gave it to me to calm down and get over the withdrawals. While it does get me over the hump for the day I feel like I might be trading one addiction for another. I am supposed to take it three times a day while yesterday I only took two and today I plan on one. But what happens the day I don't take one remains to be seen. Today seemed to be an easier day than yesterday but from the time I get home its the beer-thirty feeling again. I do know that if I take one Lorazapam it will block me from drinking as I will not mess with taking something like that and mix with alcohol. It's a good deterrent but I don't want another addiction.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Your doctor knows you are an alcoholic and gave them to you for a reason. Lorazapam are addictive but not that fast. Follow your doctors prescription or do less as you are and you will be fine.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

I'm really glad to see your self-awareness here mftrader. Good for you!

I also want to quick let you know that my psychiatrist prescribes me lorazapam for my anxiety disorder with the orders to only take as needed (1 .5mg pill). It's for anxiety relief, not anxiety prevention - so it's her idea that taking it daily as part of the routine I have with my other behavioral drugs wouldn't have any impact - for better or for worse. So, for me, it's effectiveness lies in taking it only when I feel a panic attack coming on - which, at this point, certainly isn't every day.

So, taking it as advised by your doctor should keep you far off the track of getting addicted to it. It's working so far over here for me!

I must say again though, I'm very impressed that you're taking a close look at this! Really: good job!

Blessed be,
WW
Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Made it through the day with only one about 5:30 when I started to get ramped up.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mftrader View Post
I feel like I might be trading one addiction for another.
It is entirely possible that it could happen. Do not underestimate the addictive potential of those medications. I did.

However, if you are taking them as directed, for the reason they were intended and you stay under the care of a doctor, who knows your history, particularly your alcohol/drug history, you shouldn't get into trouble.

If you don't need them, talk to your doctor about stopping them.

Mark

EDIT : Are you sure the instructions don't say three times a day only as needed?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also Known as Ativan.. i Had To Take This at The Very Beginning of My Sobriety This Last Time.. it Can Prevent DT's and i Was in Very Bad Shape.. My Doctor Told Me it Was Only For A Limited Time.. ( My First Few Weeks Then No More!)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I discuss Lorazepam a big in a post on a different topic here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2629573

GG
Old 06-19-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

take it and quit - done it. its not bad if you stop like your dr said. then go to meetings - i recommend aa but you need after support- believe me. its actually pretty cool as it might seem intimadating...its not.
dub
Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

When I quit, I was prescribed a benzo for 3 days to ease withdrawals.. had they been prescribed for longer, I'd likely still be taking them and anything else by the handful. Watch that stuff.. you really shouldn't need it for more than a couple of days, if at all.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Doctor gave it to me for three times a day for thirty days. I have only been taking two a day once around 2:00 and again at 6:00. Really helps with me wanting to grab anything to drink when I come home. But still makes me a little nervous.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed a post.

Just a reminder we're not meant to recommend treatments here - none of us are Drs.

What may be right for you might not be right at all for someone else.

Stick to your own experience and remember the medical advice rule - thanks

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
spilledmilk

hello, I was also given lorazepam when I first stopped drinking. My doctor only gave it to me in the very begining to help the withdrawals. After that he refused to give me anymore because they are cross addictive with alcohol. He did put me on gabapentin to help with the withdrawals after that. Their were a bunch of different drugs that he wouldn't prescribe because I was an alcoholic, so I know the pickings are slim. The thing I like about it is that it is supposed to be non habit forming.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

try not to abuse them. my doctor gave me diazepam which is in the same family of drugs i think. fortunately provided to buzz for me because i probably may have abused them otherwise.