SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Were you a daily drinker or every other day? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/203148-were-you-daily-drinker-every-other-day.html)

ulverston 04-21-2012 02:19 PM

cunning baffling and extremely powerful.
started getting bad about 14 yrs ago.
then i would binge 2 3 days a week with beer accasionally wine.
last five yrs started hitting the straight vodka.
many hospital visits due to terrible withdrawl symptoms.
broken 14 yr relationship which is killing me emotionally.
progression is the key word king alcohol.
this is one of the very worst diseases .
reading theese posts reminds me where ive been ,i hope we all can beat this monster and live happy purposeful lives.
good luck to all of us

soberlicious 04-21-2012 02:45 PM

Every day. Without fail. Toward the end starting taking benzos during the day at work til I could get to the afternoon and start drinking again.

So gross.

ovrock 04-21-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by shelly009 (Post 2626404)
I am very curious to find out how many daily drinkers we have vs people who binge drink or drink heavily every few days.

Please take this poll! Thanks!

Binger. I could go for weeks, but the problem is when I started. I must add however, the binges got more frequent and went for more days....

Seasidegirllau 04-22-2012 04:11 AM

Every night, usually only either 3rd bottle of wine or 3 cans, but the issue was the amount of time i spent thinking about booze and the fact that i could not go a night without it and my whole life revolved around it. Weekends id drink more and i was in a pattern of thinking bout booze all day and working mine and my familys life around my drinking habits, i have to stop, one drink always leads to another...so i have no choice but to ban it from my life!!

THEOjibway 04-22-2012 06:07 PM

I was a binge drinker. But I didn't drink every few days. Maybe once or twice every other week. Then I moved out into my own place and binged every other week. Sober up a month then go back out to drink. SOber up, drink. Then I couldn't even maintain a month of being sober anymore. Once I was sober only 2 weeks, then 1 week at a time.

Verity 04-22-2012 08:29 PM

I started with just a couple drinks every few nights. About a year later that had turned into a few drinks every night. Six monthes later I'd added far too many drinks on Fridays and Saturdays. Another year and it was any time I could possibly get my hands on it and as much I could. Shot or two when I woke up. More as soon as I got home. I even carried a little bottle in my bag in case I had a bad day. This was about halfway through my junior year of high school, so supplies were limited. I prefered whiskey but I would take anything with an alcohol content, including mouthwash at my worst moments. Now, a couple years after that, I'm nearly three months sober and really, really, really happy about it!

Gottalife 04-23-2012 12:58 AM

From whenever I got any money I drank continuously to the exclusion of all else, work, food, sleep, until I ran out of money, got too sick to continue, or got arrested. My last bash before getting sober was an effort at controlled drinking, tried many times before BTW, have a few beers and be home by 6. Got home by 6 alright, but four days later. Once I take that first one, all control is gone.

brickthrowing 04-23-2012 02:27 AM

I was a late starter.
I had occasional drinks in my teens but really didn't like it. I got drunk once when I was 19 at a party and got really sick from the hangover that I would not go near it for almost ten years.

Around thirty I started with beer because someone handed me an apricot beer and said "try this, you might like it." I did. I then liked other beers too, A LOT. It was almost like an instant desire to consume too much in one sitting.

I drank on again off again for the next seven years, binge drunk two or three times a month.
Sick and hungover for two days afterwards.

Its progressive...reading this thread all the way through will confirm that. Who knows what I would have become, but I shudder to think because it would probably be true.

Bamboozle 04-23-2012 04:21 AM

Daily. Every once in a great while I would take a 24 hour break. I think there were maybe 10 days I didn't drink in 6 years.

KarrieJay 04-23-2012 06:55 AM

For the last few years, I was drinking daily.

It didn't start that way though. It was progressive. I began by just drinking ocassionally at weekends. Then it was every weekend. Then it was binge drinking every weekend.

Before long, the weekend binge drinking was bad enough that I'd have to have a drink on Monday to get over the hangover from the Sunday session. Then I started allowing myself a drink on Wednesday nights too, because I figured that four nights a week wasn't too bad. This was just drinking at home by the way - if I was out after work, I'd happily drink on Tuesday, Thurs and Friday as well.

The last few years though I drank every day and always at home. I wouldn't go out, because I couldn't drink without getting drunk and I couldn't be trusted not to make a fool of myself.

My life back then was pretty damn sad.

jwaco 04-23-2012 12:00 PM

You left out the option for 5 times a day!!! Hahahaha just kidding. Neat on brother!

sugarbear1 04-23-2012 02:01 PM

Began as a binge drinker of 3 beers on a Friday night. That was a LOT for me then.

Daily at the end.

Accessorized with some illegal substances in between and during....

jstar 04-23-2012 03:16 PM

Wow...over 70% of us drank every day.....wow...I am one of the 70+%...interesting poll...definitely makes a person feel they are not alone & others have dealt with the same amount of drinking.

Thanks for polling us :) kinda fun

nel68 04-23-2012 03:44 PM

The last few years daily... maybe I would take a day off once every few months.......good gawd, that was crazy!! I am almost 4 months sober ;-)

Boxer1 04-23-2012 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2626553)
Nearly an everyday binger since 2002. Started getting some days, weeks and months of sobriety late in 2008.

Thats encouraging. I am very flawed but think am headed in right direction, same as you mentioned.

Boxer1 04-23-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by MarkNS (Post 2677356)
Every day. If not my hands shake badly, my heart pounds and races, and I feel jittery.

Yeah, Ive "advanced" to the point where my hands shake too. I think Im hiding it at work (I may be wrong) but when in my car and hold them out straight its crazy to see how they shake. The Mt Dew doesnt help but I know why its happening....

Tippingpoint 04-23-2012 07:24 PM

None of the above.

I would typically take Monday and even Tuesday off. Then I would build to the weekend and really go hard Friday and Saturday. Sunday I would taper - drinking earlier in the day so that I could be in bed early to recover for Monday.

Then I would start all over again!

Lastchance5 04-23-2012 09:19 PM

Mine has been very sporadic, was fine while out at work but I would get a week off and couldn't stay out of the bar. Recently I have had neck surgery and have been on disability and all the free time I find myself frequenting the bar more often (like every evening) the routine itself is habit forming and not where I wanna be in life but boredom is what triggers my intake. What to do?

Emma18 04-24-2012 05:54 AM

You know it's probably in excess when you can drink through 3/4 a bottle of vodka in an hour I suppose. I binged to make up for lost time on other days.

Emma18 04-24-2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lastchance5 (Post 3374882)
Mine has been very sporadic, was fine while out at work but I would get a week off and couldn't stay out of the bar. Recently I have had neck surgery and have been on disability and all the free time I find myself frequenting the bar more often (like every evening) the routine itself is habit forming and not where I wanna be in life but boredom is what triggers my intake. What to do?

Boredom gets me too. As soon as I'm alone and have nothing to do, my mind starts wandering around. The best thing to do is get something to fill your time. What I've noticed is because of my drug use, I actually don't have any hobbies because all my time was spent using/thinking about using and all that. I joined a gym and I can already tell the difference - something like that would work for you :)