SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Were you a daily drinker or every other day? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/203148-were-you-daily-drinker-every-other-day.html)

neferkamichael 04-14-2012 11:15 PM

Last 8 our so years usually when I was awake.

nonblondechef 04-15-2012 03:42 AM

Not every day - every night. Nothing like hitting a 24 hour Walgreens on the way home from a 12 hour shift to buy the cheapest bottle of wine (or two) and keep the cycle going. Gahhhhh....just reading that makes my skin crawl. Three months in and going strong. Happy sober Sunday, everyone!

airforce31 04-15-2012 04:37 AM

I drank everyday, from the time I woke up until the time I passed out or went to sleep at night. I never went any where, did anything without alcohol. Always made sure I had beer at the house, and would always carry a vodka laced soda or fruit flavored water bottle with me at all times. At that time it was the most single important thing to me, now my sobriey is. Nearly 5 years later, I no longer live that horrible life style.

candie 04-15-2012 04:53 AM

Until 3 years ago I only used to drink socially a few times a month when I went out, then after my Dad died I used alcohol to zone out most nights:(

Change4good 04-15-2012 05:43 AM

Every night. Towards the end, daily and nightly on the weekends. It was ugly.

LoftyIdeals 04-15-2012 05:49 AM

I drank nightly, but my nights would often start by 2 pm. I'd try to "dry out" for 30 days or so once a year, often to coincide with Lent. Often, I didn't make the whole stretch. But I did "quit" and get 60 or 90 days one or two years. I also quit for 9 months when the wife was preg with #1, and for most of her next pregnancy. These patterns continued for about 30 yrs. The first 10 included daily pot, occasionally any other drug that didn't have to be injected. Then, drugs gradually tapered away, and in recent years were replaced with prescription narcotics, which I've also now quit.

Amazing thing is that my life always improved dramatically when I quit, so I figured I was cured to start over. This time, God knows better, and gives me gradual increments of improvement, and I've strung together 8 months, with no "end date" planned or in sight. Thanks to God, SR, and AA, my life is getting better every day.

RyanRyan 04-15-2012 06:24 AM

I drank from the second I got home from work during the week until I fell asleep watching tv, every day. I would drink from the minute I woke up Saturday's and sunday till I passed out. I would put down 12-14 bottles of wine and nearly a case of beer a week.

This is my first completely sober weekend in years!

camedown 04-16-2012 12:38 AM

I powerdrank after I got off work till I passed out, finishing at the minimum 6 rounds of a beer and a double shot of Jager, but it usually worked up to ten rounds. Sometimes I would take a shot or two in the morning to quell myself. Days off were a free for all, usually finishing a bottle of Jager and a twelve pack each day.

FlyerFan 04-16-2012 05:15 AM

In the beginning it was every few days, then it progressed to every other day and eventually every single day plus weekends. That was when I knew it was getting bad and i needed to quit.

JustBreath 04-16-2012 05:42 AM

Day 1 Drink
Day 2 hangover
Day 3 drink
Day 4 hangover...drink to get rid of the hangover
Day 5 hangover
Day 6 drink
Day 7 hangover....

I was utterly useless ....

lostdotty 04-16-2012 07:08 AM

I would drink every day, wait for the clock to strike 7pm and open the vodka, probably every 15th day I would think I need a day off. 27th Feb I had nearly 4wks off and felt great, thought I would be okay with a couple of glases of wine with lemonade and before the week was out I was back to vodka and have had a drink every day since 23rd March.

Yesterday 1st of many days sober I hope

ACT10Npack 04-16-2012 10:41 AM

Each year was different for me. I was never a daily drinker but when I drank it was more then a night. The longer I did it, the longer I would go on benders. The most was 14 days. Was not fun at the end.

Newatthis34 04-16-2012 11:07 AM

I'd usually have a few (3/4/5) beers in the evening at the pub, then home for maybe 1 (or 2 depending) bottles of wine. So disgusted with myself. Really love wine and somehow justified my drinking because I rarely drank spirits.Today is the day I'm making the change. There is a bottle of wine in the fridge that I miraculously didn't get stuck into last night and I'm tempted to pour it down the sink but am a bit uncomfortable with being the type of person that can't even have alcohol in the house. Am I that out of control?

lostdotty 04-16-2012 11:32 AM

Newatthis34 last night I poured the last of my vodka down the sink, went to get some milk from the fridge an hour later to make a cup of tea and seen half a bottle of wine in the door. For a few minutes I rowed with myself saying it won't hurt it is only two glasses left, telling myself it was ok to have that glass after spending the whole day telling myself I'm not going to drink again, however I quicky poured it away and I cried watching it go down the plug, not because I wanted it but realised this is how desperate I have become.

I can only hope it gets better!!

SOBERINNEPA 04-16-2012 11:39 AM

My last three years of drinking, it was every night. One bottle of vodka chased by a couple beers. Start at 4:30 and end by 8:30 - 9:00.

Bard 04-16-2012 01:48 PM

Kind of hard to gauge. When I was being "good" I would get drunk 2-3 times a week. But when that monster got off his chain as I call it that is when I would go off on a binger and drink a few days in the row and that's when the call ins to work happen blackouts and having no memory of going for drunken food and more beer runs.

bayliss 04-16-2012 02:39 PM

I begin drinking "sparingly" a couple drinks here and there, I didn't really like the taste...and didn't like the way it made me feel at first because I am a control freak and I realize I wasn't in control when I drank...then it began...it took hold...I began binge drinking on weekends...then every other night...then every night...then at noon, then before noon...then at 8am...then sometimes at 3am when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.

I now realize that it doesn't matter anymore...when you're an alcoholic and you drink even once a week...you're still an alcoholic...and you are drinking alcoholicly.

Emma18 04-16-2012 11:22 PM

It fluctuated. Sometimes it'd be every day, other times restricted to weekends. Depended what else I was doing at the time really.

soberbythesea 04-21-2012 01:24 PM

Every single bloody day. Every day. Usually no fewer than 3 drinks a day.

kellyrally 04-21-2012 01:40 PM

I voted for every 3-4 days. However, I have had many periods where I would drink every day and not be able to go a night without it. Comes and goes depending on the levels of stress in my life. The last 2 weeks I have had alcohol every single night.