67.43%
Every 2nd day
12.30%
Every 3 or 4 days
14.67%
On the weekends only
5.60%
Voters: 1268. You may not vote on this poll

Were you a daily drinker or every other day?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
I am very curious to find out how many daily drinkers we have vs people who binge drink or drink heavily every few days.

Please take this poll! Thanks!
Everyday to varying degrees. Most weekdays I would "moderate" to one bottle of wine over the course of the evening-- and wake up feeling pretty good at work after a cup of coffee. Problem was that on weekends I'd drink more heavily, then find myself drinking off the hangover which would sometimes stretch into Monday and Tuesday.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

16-17: HS, drink on weekends when could get beer; infrequent
17-21: college, drink on weekends regularly
21-23: work, drink on fri heavily, sat moderately
23-24: college, drink on fri/sat heavily; sometimes thur moderately to heavy
Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I would drink atleast 5 nights a week. My poison was bourbon. And atleast a pint of it when I drank.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hi I'm a newbie here.

Day 8 of sobriety.

Have been drinking for 5 years. Started with a glass of wine and for the last 2 years a bottle and a half every night. No hangovers helped alot! I don't think I've had a sober night in at least 3 years.

Have tried moderation, but never worked, even when I didn't drink wine I would substitute beer, and even then all I could think about was the next bottle of wine.

My GP is supervising my withdrawls and touch wood am doing okay.

Your stories here are so inspiring and supportive. I am so pleased to have found this site.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Thurs - Saturday...but most recently almost daily for two weeks.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Just another day...

It started with just weekends..Fri and/or sat. depending on what was going on.
When I stopped working it was more often. The husband and I used to have a wed. thing where we would buy a fifth of Jim beam. After a couple months of doing this we had to start buying the 1.75l since a fifth wasnt enough. then add fri and sat.
My son got older and got in to little league and we became friends with the coachs, that would lead to drinks after games, our wed night and the weekend.
Years later we moved from MI to Iowa, then it was anytime our new friends called and said wanna have a beer. That was probably about 5 times a week, including weekends. And heavy drinking for me all the time. The only time I could control my drinking was if I went out with my girlfriends and I had to drive myself to the bar. Then I would have a few, but would leave early so I could get home and have a few more.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Every once in a while aged 12-14
Once a week 14-16
16-18, can't remember but maybe only 3-4 times a week, bad though.
18-30, everyday.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Every other day during the week every night on the weekend. A lot of times I would drink when I was performing to get rid of the hangover from the night before. During the week when the hangover was gone and the urge came on I would start the process all over again.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I was a daily drinker from age 18 till age 39.

I started off being a few cans of beer a night and sessions at weekends.

By my early 30s I drank at lunchtimes as well as an increased amount at night.

By my late 30s I was drinking up to seven pints of beer every lunchtime and vodka or whisky every night.

From Jan 2012 until I quit in Feb I drank a minimum of half a bottle of vodka a night poured into my cans of lager so my wife didn't see how much I was drinking. The vodka was hidden away and she didn't know I was drinking it, I got 3 drinks out a half bottle.

At the end I was chugging vodka neat and chasing it with lager. I could put away a quarter bottle of vodka in under 30 seconds.

When I look back on this now I have written it out my decline was obvious for all to see, never again.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I drank maybe every third or forth day. And that was because I'd go at it so hard for days on end, I'd end up with a two or three day hangover.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

17-22 -- 1-3 beers once in a month or so.
22-25 -- every weekend and occasionally on weekdays. Usually a 6 pack and rarely more, no hard stuff.
25-27 -- 12 pack a day, every other day. Hid this from my parents.
27-30 -- started living alone and also work from home. Things really went downhill since that. 18 pack a day plus sharing a 0.75 L of Jack Daniels with my drinking buddy during the weekend.

Needless to say, no social life whatsoever. Put up about 70 extra pounds, already lost 15 of them thanks to sobriety. I'm on day 14 now.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

When I started out I was a part time binge drinker, getting drunk on the odd weekend at a party. When I started working 5 years ago I started having a whiskey or glass of wine after work every evening to "relax".

Eventually that escalated to a few whiskeys or a bottle of wine a night. When I stopped getting bad hangovers, I thought I could drink with no problems. I drank every night to black out point, I drove my car under the influence many times and luckily I did not kill someone.

Then the anxiety started and I knew I could not drink anymore...
Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I was a binge drinker. On average I'd say I drank 3-4 days a week. I didn't drink on days that I worked (12 hours shifts), but then on my days off I'd hit the bottle hard. For years I was either drunk or withdrawing. Talk about a living hell!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Started around 3-5 in the afternoon during the week. On weekends I would start around 11-12. I would drink until I made myself go to bed. Sometimes 11. Sometimes I would stay up most of the night.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Drinking..

Well pretty much drink every night..did not realize what damage it was doing to my body till friends told me..increased drinking when my mom was given 3 months to a year to live..I just want to enjoy what time I have left with her!! How can I beat this..drinking for over 14 years..what am I suppressing..
Old 04-14-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Every night for me too for years, slowly but surely the amount I would drink grew till I had enough, permanently.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

i would drink 3-4 days a week. and i was limited to that because i was still trying to do decent in school
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Morning,Day,and Night for 20 years. So glad to not live like that anymore.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I started off with weekends, then a couple nights, eventually every night and ended up all day every day. Once i started drinking during the day it went from bad to holy ****.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I had actually been drinking since I was old enough to sneak out of my bedroom window and go to our local street/highschool parties on the weekends so of course I did not do it everyday back then but would do anything to get it. What I mean by that is that wherever it was and If I could be there, I was there. As I got older my friends and boyfriends would buy it and stuff like that. A few stores I lived by did not card me. It was really easy to get plus my mom and my stepdad/her ex boyfriend (before she was married the stepdad) had bars in their houses so there was always liquor someplace... It just basically took over my entire being before I knew it. I have had a marriage fall apart because of it and a 12 year relationship go down the drain for about 50% of it (him and I are still bestfriends. He is actually helping me through this). I always knew that sooner or later something was going to happen or I was damn lucky and let me assure you. I do not have good luck. That is when I got that adema, my stomach hurt and was swollen. I almost felt gassy, constipated andI could not eat very well because I was not used to eating hardly. Just drinking. It made my dates so mad. I could lose a date fast! Anyhow, everyone was telling my skin and eyes were yellow. THIS IS WHEN I KNEW..... I finally went to Urgent Care and he put me into the hospital PRONTO! I did not realize how bad I looked until I looked at myself now without just 14 days without any alcohol. WOW. I have a very long way to go though. I am still scared and pray that everything works out. I have confidence that it will as long as I take care of me though. I am sorry for the long post. I ramble on sometimes. It feels good to talk about positive achievements, I guess. Thank you for asking and the best of luck to you!