SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Were you a daily drinker or every other day? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/203148-were-you-daily-drinker-every-other-day.html)

LexieCat 08-07-2010 09:39 PM

Oh, man,

I hear ya on those three-day weekends.

Ditto on not missing it.

battypatty 08-07-2010 09:52 PM

Every single freaking day!!! If I exercised great restraint, I downed 1/2 of a 750ml bottle of TEQUILA on work nights. Some nights i was't very disciplined and the whole bottle disappeared. From Friday night to Sunday night I would down at least 3 of those bottles. And, I never hid my bottles, kept them in the kitchen cupboard for all to see. Thought that meant I wasn't an alcoholic. I am very grateful to be sober and alive.

Suzie12 08-08-2010 01:55 AM

Hi,

I gave up drinking for 3 years and at that time I was drinking every evening, I was never and never had been a day time drinker but would make sure that I was blotto by the time my evening session ended.

I lapsed into drinking again 2.5 years ago, when I drank around 3 times per week but still have no control over how much I drink once I start. After several blackouts of not remembering what I have done/said the night before I am now a week into my second attempt to kick the booze for good.

AWOL 08-08-2010 02:54 AM

Drank every day for a few decades except when I was in the cardiac ward after a coronary bypass. I even asked my cardiologist if it would be OK if I had a glass or two of red wine in hospital. He said no. When I was 18 I completed a 50-mile walking race during which I drank a six pack of beer and smoked a pack of cigarettes. Talk about a death wish!

Shoei 08-08-2010 04:03 AM

I hear you Fallen Man! I work every second month and on my months off it was back to back benders. They would last 2,3 or 4 days (vodka) and then I would be so sick I would have to stop for about 12 hours. I would then have perhaps a bottle of wine to keep the "fears" away and try and sleep. When I woke up I would feel "well" enough to start the next binge. The biggest battle was getting the next supply in as amongst other things I could not negotiate stairs (going down) and needed to get down stairs to leave my apartment block. Anyway that complete nightmare is finished and am on day 54 (thanks to SR) and really looking forward to my next break and all the amazing things one is able to do when sober!:c031:

LaFemme 08-08-2010 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by AWOL (Post 2673842)
Drank every day for a few decades except when I was in the cardiac ward after a coronary bypass. I even asked my cardiologist if it would be OK if I had a glass or two of red wine in hospital. He said no. When I was 18 I completed a 50-mile walking race during which I drank a six pack of beer and smoked a pack of cigarettes. Talk about a death wish!

Patients are allowed to drink and smoke in hospitals in Denmark...even as an alcoholici was shocked when I saw this!!!!

TexasNative 08-08-2010 06:53 AM

Everyday, mornings included. Hey, how else was I supposed to get rid if the shakes and get even!? GROSS

stephnc 08-08-2010 07:48 AM

Sadly, I was one of the daily drinkers. Morning, noon, night...

SO glad to be sober now for almost three months.

GettingStronger2 08-08-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by TexasNative (Post 2673923)
Everyday, mornings included. Hey, how else was I supposed to get rid if the shakes and get even!? GROSS

HA! that was me in the final months! Every day. . .started "just" as wine everynight. . .got worse, mornings got worse, and I would drink to feel okay. . .and quickly pass to drunk. . .that's when i knew I had to stop.

Kitey 08-08-2010 07:57 AM

I used to drink twice a week in the early days then it was every alternative night then once I stopped getting hangovers it was every night just about..then in the last two years it got earlier and earlier in the day and at my worst I have even started drinking as early as 10 in the morning..

I would sometimes hide a bottle of wine in the Kitchen Cupboard to secretly swig from it as I was cooking as well as drinking Cans. I have hid drink all over the house from the family and was too drunk to remember, I have found half drank cans in the Laundry Basket, the washing Machine, the Microwave, tumble dryer, You name it I hid it!

So pleased I have stopped. I was disgusting and now that I am in Early recovery I have no desire for it!

littlefish 08-08-2010 07:59 AM

Well I guess I suffer from permanent uniqueness. I was both a daily and a binger. I struggled everyday to keep my daily drinking under some sort of control. That would work in general, I would try and keep my intake under 4 strong beers. And where I live, stong beers are called "big and strong", so that means they were up to 10.2% alcohol for a large can of beer. Who was I fooling? I may as well have bought a couple of bottles of wine because the alcohol content of the beers was about the same as 1 to 2 bottles of wine.

I would spin out of control of course and layer one week to two week benders on top of that and throw high alcohol content liquor into the mix and stay drunk on rum or vodka or whatever I could for the duration of the binge.

Then I would find my life totally unmanageable while having a bender on hard liquor, so I would go back to the beer routine. That would end after a period of time when I would think I could "handle it" and I would embark on another high alcohol content binge again. It went on for years.

jekyllnhyde 08-08-2010 08:50 AM

Every 3-4 days for me too. I would start early and drink HEAVY. Blackouts are what happens to me so 1 day/night is usually the extent of it. Sick, ashamed, horrified after keeps me sober for a few days???
BTW I went to my 1st AA meeting on 8/3.

solareclipse 08-08-2010 09:15 AM

I would take off Mondays usually...and a Tuesday here and there. But sometimes not. Usually my drinking would build throughout the week, with a few days only having a half bottle of wine or so and the weekends having drinks throughout the day followed by wine and more drinks at night. I'd say it was about 1 black out a week and a few more "brown outs."

43 days sober today and even though I have the flu, I am feeling much better than my usual hungover Sunday feeling.

Harry01854 08-08-2010 09:37 AM

I only drank on the days that ended with day.

Harry

lildawg 08-08-2010 09:56 AM

Every night was Saturday night for me.

Tommyh 08-08-2010 12:43 PM

every day
and every chance in between
did not draw a sober breath for a long time

soberbythesea 08-08-2010 02:48 PM

When I drank, I drank EVERY day.

I really mean every day. A "light" day might be only 2 drinks (I never stopped at just 1, not even on a light day). But every day I drank.

Back in March of this year I decided to "take a break" and made it about a week without drinking, but it was really "white knuckling" it the entire time. And I certainly had no intention of quitting entirely.

I am 16 days sober now, for the first time in probably over a decade.

julez 08-08-2010 02:50 PM

Started out as a social drinker/binger. Then became a nightly drinker, with heavier drinking on weekends. I drank to celebrate good days and I drank to relax after bad days. As I was drinking, all I could think about was my next drink. And I never had an off switch.

hotshot 08-08-2010 06:50 PM

Binge................Stay sober for a few weeks or months then Bender time for couple weeks to a month at the end

HReady 08-08-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Harry01854 (Post 2674030)
I only drank on the days that ended with day.

Harry

I know it isn't funny...but, you cracked me up with that one. LOL!

SixStringZen 08-09-2010 03:29 AM

I only drank twice a week, but they were for 3 days each...

SSZ

Time4me2Change 08-09-2010 06:55 PM

I was a binge drinker.... Would go months without a drop then binge (at night) for 3-4 days.

patman 08-09-2010 06:57 PM

2-3 days per week. Unfortunately, virtually every time I drank I would blackout to some degree at least, if not totally. How I haven't killed myself or someone else is a darn miracle.

Day 22

JohnnydJersey 08-09-2010 07:09 PM

Every night for 9 and a half years. The first 5 years were a 6 pack and the next 4 and a half were 8-10 beers. Then I cut back for 2 years to 2-3 a day because I read that this was moderate drinking and I was worried I was killing myself.

HFA 08-09-2010 08:42 PM

5-6 nights a week. 18-24 beers a nite. Id start at about 9pm, you know once I had every thing "done". Id polish off all the beers by 1am, then pass out. How I made it to work for the last 10yrs, I will never know.

Day 43

Shoshi 08-11-2010 02:32 PM

I usually drank only soda at bars and restaurants and if there was no alcohol in the house I rarely went out and got some. The problem was that when I did drink I drank a lot very, very fast. My husband likes whiskey, and when he has a bottle in the house, which is often, I chug it like there's no tomorrow. Not good.
Today I quit drinking. Unfortunately, there's a bottle of brandy at home taunting me.

Goat 08-11-2010 04:51 PM

I was a daily drinker from the moment I started until I realized what a big problem I had. Then I switched immediately to binging. I'd hold out and not drink and not drink until I couldn't stand it anymore and then I'd just give in and dive into the bottle.

When I decided to really become sober, the only thing that really changed was the frequency and severity of the binges. I drank much less often, but each drunk was much worse.

Hey Shoshi, do you think your husband would be willing to help you out by agreeing to only drink while at a bar and not bring it into the house?

Perhaps he would even be kind enough to make that bottle of brandy vanish out of there. It'll be a lot easier to do this if you have his help!

-Goat

ferrari355 08-11-2010 07:34 PM

Not quite a daily drinker, but I drank most nights (around 5 of every 7) over the last five years, usually around a bottle of wine or its equivalent in beers. This year, have only drank around 50% of nights yet still feel a bit of an emotional mess, which is why I just want to knock it on the head completely and go teetotall.

MarkNS 08-11-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by shelly009 (Post 2626404)
I am very curious to find out how many daily drinkers we have vs people who binge drink or drink heavily every few days.

Please take this poll! Thanks!

Every day. If not my hands shake badly, my heart pounds and races, and I feel jittery.

Supercrew 08-11-2010 10:53 PM

The last 18 months of my drinking career the routine was 4 24 ounce beers at about 12:30 PM on Thursday while driving home, get home and drink another 6-8 12 ounce beers, take a break and workout before the wife got home normally coach a youth sports practice, eat dinner polish of about half of a 750ml bottle of vodka before bed. Wake up Friday and either pop 2 beers at 7:30AM or I would have a large bottle of hard lemonade, unless I had a meeting, if I had a meeting I would hold off until 11:30AM then start with the 4 24 ouncers again and repeat with about a 12 pack that night and then the other half of the bottle of Vodka. Saturday is where it gets blurry, being that I would start drinking as soon as I finished walking the dog and could get away from the wife, then pace myself with about two beers every hour until the wife and kids went to bed and I would hit another half of a 750ml vodka bottle. Sunday I would slow up on the beer normally sleep in a little and finish the other half of the vodka bottle that night. If I went heavier on Sunday for whatever reason I would roll Sunday in to Monday then taper off but would normally have a 1/2 bottle of vodka while watching Monday night football and then Intervention.:) I would not drink Tuesday's!! Tuesday seemed like a great day to stay sober!:0 I would normally drink Wednesday night about 3-6 beers and another 1/2 bottle of vodka. Then I would take Thursday AM off and do it all over again.

Believe it or not that schedule didn't give me much of a problem, and my body got pretty used to it, where I had problems was when I drank hard, which would happen 1 or 2 weekends a month when I drank with my friends, then I didn't moderate as well as I did during the week. Normally this would have me drinking anywhere from 10-15 pitchers of beer normally between 2 or 3 guys over a 4 hour period with shots of tequila, yaeger and what ever anyone else felt like putting in a shot glass in about 20 minute intervals, then i would go home have a beer or 2 and then hit the Vodka until it was empty.

Looking back I must have been a very thirsty guy! And also a complete idiot!!