SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Were you a daily drinker or every other day? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/203148-were-you-daily-drinker-every-other-day.html)

Surlyredhead 06-15-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 2626478)
All day, every day...:(

Same here.....

smacked 06-15-2010 07:17 PM

Id go days, weeks..months sometimes..in my feeble attempt to not be such an alcoholic. I never went a day without thinking about it though..just like an alcoholic. ;)

Pancake 06-15-2010 07:18 PM

I drank every single day...was literally TERRIFIED of not being able to drink!! I made darn sure I had booze every day. Well, until it ended that is.

Love Pancake xo

SomeoneSomwhere 06-15-2010 07:40 PM

Every day but I made stupid rules like "Today I won't start till 12" or on Saturdays I won't drink till before I'm going to bed... or like "I'll drink in the morning so I can do HW in the afternoon" it was pretty ridiculous...then I just started drinking all the time. It didn't matter if I had class or work, I drank at work, before work, after work. But I wasn't an alcoholic. I just drank. Denial. I'm still sort of working through step one. I haven't accept the whole being an alcoholic on all levels... I can't explain it. Right now I'm two weeks sober though. And it started out as only drinking on weekends or a few times a week then it progressed.

Timebuster 06-15-2010 08:05 PM

I drank 24 – 7

I help the liquor store open up in the morning

Boot leggier on Sundays. .

Sleep with a bottle under my pillow, so when I woke I the middle of the night I had a drink for the dilemma trimmers.

Next
TB

AWOL 06-15-2010 09:19 PM

My drinking career started at an "induction" ceremony at the age of 17. My legal peers told me to stand on a bar stool and down a quart of beer in 10 seconds. I was a willing "inductee" and enjoyed the taste of beer so much I drank beer every night for a couple of decades. I think I was an alcoholic even before I started drinking. My ability to stand on bar stools deteriorated in time.

wichitaks 06-15-2010 09:20 PM

Man those are some pretty amazing stories, I feel like a light-weight considering I only drank on saturday's and some fridays but never both:) Hey maybe Im not an alcoholic;) haha jk.....

tallcactus 06-15-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by smacked (Post 2626589)
Id go days, weeks..months sometimes..in my feeble attempt to not be such an alcoholic. I never went a day without thinking about it though..just like an alcoholic. ;)

I would go days, weeks and sometimes a month or two, but always thought about drinking.
Yes, I'm a alcoholic.
Been sober almost a year. Last drink July 30th or 31st after a two day binge, after having over 5 years sober, when I thought I could drink again.
I can't and I accept that.
To all, ODAAT.

Snarf 06-15-2010 09:46 PM

Daily drinker for over a decade. Of course I'd miss a day every couple weeks or so, but that was usually an accident. Drank 'cause I felt bad, drank 'cause I felt good, drank 'cause I felt nothing.

kelsh 06-15-2010 09:56 PM

My drinking pattern was all over the place....

depending on what was going on in my life. I grew up with my alcoholic grandmother living with us & swore I would never be like her...I ended up every bit like her though. :c020:

I didn't start drinking until I got married at 20 years old & then it was a big deal to share a six pack with my husband on Friday nights. As most of you know as time goes by the amount I drank increased because I liked how it made me feel.

Then the difficult times would come along & my drinking would increase. This continued on until it started affecting my marriage so I moved out so I could drink as much as I wanted to. I drank most every evening & all weekend.

The trauma's in my life were like a key to another level of drinking to block everything out of my mind but it didn't work. When I worked I didn't drink as often or as much & when pregnant I didn't drink at all but because I couldn't keep anything down...even water in the first months.

Eventually I crossed that invisible line you hear people talk about where the alcohol had me & I couldn't function without it at a certain time of day when working...would start drinking as soon as I got home until I went to bed. I did this for four years until I was so sick of everything I knew if I didn't get help I would die soon...I was a walking example of an alcoholic with a very red face & under weight. :a108:

I asked for help for my alcoholism & Clinical Depression at the same time & had two counselors...one for the alcoholism & one for the depression. That was 21 years ago & I am still sober & still see my doctor for my depression.

I stopped soon enough that my body wasn't damaged but still have the trauma to deal with now & again but now know what to do to help myself.

I wanted to be sober more than anything else in my life & I worked the AA Program & went to meetings & improved my job skills so ended up at retirement with a good feeling about what I had accomplished. :ring

kelsh

yeahgr8 06-15-2010 09:56 PM

Hmmm i ended up a daily drinker but spent years trying to quit would have spaces between the drinks up to 6 months at a time...mental obsession never went though...was a binge drinker until i was early 30's and am 39 now...

TwelveSteps 06-16-2010 03:58 AM

Strangely, I never was really a binge drinker but drank every night until I fell asleep.

GG

1lastchance 06-16-2010 04:24 AM

daily. I drink to feel numb then I have a hangover then drink to get rid of the hangover over and over and over. til one day I woke up and years of my life were gone forever and I can get them back ever.

Chops 06-16-2010 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Timebuster (Post 2626613)
I drank 24 – 7

I help the liquor store open up in the morning

Boot leggier on Sundays. .

Sleep with a bottle under my pillow, so when I woke I the middle of the night I had a drink for the dilemma trimmers.

Next
TB

yep

vegibean 06-16-2010 04:54 AM

I, like a few of the others here, drank every day, ugh! It was horrible. :(

Like least said, all day, every day.

ALF 06-16-2010 06:57 AM

Everyday. As soon as I got home, I'd pop open a beer and drink til I went to bed.
I always admired people who could go out to a bar or party and have a soda or other non-alcoholic beverage.

coffeenut 06-16-2010 07:55 AM

The first five years it was on the weekends. And...as the story always goes, crept up to 3 times a week.....4 times a week.

The last 30 were every single day.

I knew in those first 5 years there was a problem.

notnormal 06-16-2010 08:07 AM

not before dinner during the work week.. but everyday. After a big night I'd think about not drinking but the only thing that would make me feel better was... another drink of course.

Zencat 06-16-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by least
All day, every day...:(

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead
Same here.....

Me too...http://www.mazeguy.net/sad/worried.gif

littlechicklet 06-16-2010 09:01 AM

Almost everyday. I only took a night off when I felt too sick from the night before. Usually I'd get home from work or school, open a bottle of wine while cooking dinner and go from there. :(