SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Were you a daily drinker or every other day? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/203148-were-you-daily-drinker-every-other-day.html)

Coldfusion 12-27-2012 02:45 PM

Everyday until blackout o'clock.

The last day, we had three bottles of wine before 10 am. Then, I asked my wife to get more wine or get me to the hospital. This was followed by seven days in detox, and we're now sober almost two months.

gunther84 12-27-2012 02:56 PM

I tried to hide my drinking, so I didnt drink every day, but I would have if I could.

PeteMitchell 12-27-2012 04:01 PM

I'm in the minority it seems. I was a hardcore weekend warrior. I'd go major duty heavy from Friday to Sunday, have a hangover that lasted until Wednesday. Finally feel 100% (or as close to it as possible) Thursday and go back to the same madness Friday again. Rinse/Wash/Repeat

That was how I rationalized my drinking, by making it seem that "hey, I can't be alcoholic, I don't drink everyday." Bullshi*

AnotherPaul 12-27-2012 04:52 PM

I drank to the point of passing out every night and all day on the weekends or any days off from work.

Shadow2012 12-27-2012 06:21 PM

That sounds just like me!

backbeat 12-27-2012 07:28 PM

I binge drank any night that I wasn't hung over so that usually worked out to be every other day.

junk33 01-02-2013 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by PeteMitchell (Post 3737684)
I'm in the minority it seems. I was a hardcore weekend warrior. I'd go major duty heavy from Friday to Sunday, have a hangover that lasted until Wednesday. Finally feel 100% (or as close to it as possible) Thursday and go back to the same madness Friday again. Rinse/Wash/Repeat

That was how I rationalized my drinking, by making it seem that "hey, I can't be alcoholic, I don't drink everyday." Bullshi*

that was exactly my way as well, i used to be a daily bomber , but i also thought the same thing ,I only drank on weekends or couple times per week,i figured thursday was almost the weekend..

duane1 01-02-2013 12:28 PM

I was an everyday drinker and rarely skipped a day. I was probably more of a binge drinker at first, but it evolved into every day over the years.

sandybranch 01-02-2013 12:29 PM

Varied a lot.

shockozulu 01-02-2013 01:21 PM

Binge until the end. Then blackout drinker, every day.

Aems 01-02-2013 01:26 PM

I took my last drink 22 years ago. But narcotics found me after ten years of being sober from alcohol. When I was drinking I'd get stoned before I went to work to ease the hangover I had daily. When I got out of work I stopped at the liquor store on the way home and bought a bottle of peppermint schnapps and it would be gone before I'd go to bed. On the weekends I drank from morning until night. I never recall blacking out but I made some awful decisions along the way and was carless in a lot of areas of my life. I never could figure out why, but I never experienced alcohol withdrawls. I drank a good 20yrs before finding my way to an AA program.

ddrayer 01-02-2013 09:01 PM

After my last attempt to get sober things went downhill quickly. Maybe I made a total of 4 sober days in 2012. That seems a stretch. Over the holidays it was drinking from the min I woke up till I would pass out around 4 sleep till 11 wake up and drink for another couple hours. Getting to that point really made me realize I needed to get my head straight

Eliz181144 01-02-2013 09:55 PM

I was a daily drinker, and had also had about 3 blackout binges a month.
In addition, I was taking 15-20 mg of Valium a day.

Yep...real smart.:headbange

freedom1228 01-03-2013 01:52 AM

When the hangover got better I would drink again.

Bernie2823 01-03-2013 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by littlechicklet (Post 2627014)
Almost everyday. I only took a night off when I felt too sick from the night before. Usually I'd get home from work or school, open a bottle of wine while cooking dinner and go from there. :(

Me too! - bottle and a half of wine a night, more at weekends

lillyknitting 01-03-2013 02:06 AM

I'm a binge drinker. I was/am never been interested in drinking every day, never. But, give me an invitation and my mind goes into overdrive about what I will drink, or won't drink, will I just have two, shall I not drink at all, the whole exercise is purgatory. Then, when I do drink, I drink to oblivion with full regrets the next day and beyond. The whole thing has caused me no end of grief and chaos I can tell you. Starting afresh 1st Jan 2013.:

Black 01-03-2013 02:09 AM

Every 3 to 4 days a bottle or two of red wine. or G & Ts

NapsteR1 01-03-2013 02:50 AM

in the last 10 years was 20 units a day (1 pint beer = 2 units) pushing up to 35 a day on weekends - again, real smart....

This is my fifth go at stopping, longest so far.

lillyknitting 01-03-2013 03:51 AM

Don't get me wrong - continuing from my last post - don't underestimate binge drinking. Unfortunately society does and it's easy to convey to the world, as I did for 30 or more years, that I'm just like everyone else!! Everyone goes down the pub, everyone drinks to excess weekends, everyone's out, I want to be part of the party. At one period I was bingeing about three times a week, I was so hungover I couldnt get my head off the pillow, it would take me all day to recover, then I'd think umm I could do with another drink. My life was he'll, I tried to hold down a full time job, run a home and family, meanwhile I was killing myself. Now, I cant hack it any more, a night bingeing takes me about three days to recover. I don't want it any more, I know it will be hard but I've got to do this. Thank you all for your support. Btw, I really do love being sober so it must be an illness to keep doing it to ourselves. Insanity!.

phoebe64 01-03-2013 05:00 AM

Somewhere in between each evening and and sometimes skipping a couple or a few days. At least 3 evenings a week.