SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Were you a daily drinker or every other day? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/203148-were-you-daily-drinker-every-other-day.html)

onlythetruth 05-30-2012 02:59 PM

I don't drink anymore. But when I drank, I drank every day.

Luling 05-30-2012 03:16 PM

I drank daily, usually starting at 5:00pm and lasting through the evening. I'd start with a few gin cocktails or a glass of wine ... Never mind, it was too much. More than I admitted to myself just last week, when I first joined here. Now that I'm being honest with myself, it sickens me to think about it. I'm happy to put that behind me.

crewisms 05-30-2012 08:07 PM

Every day.

Leemzer 05-30-2012 08:57 PM

I'm shocked that so many people drank every day. But then again, I have to agree with what several people said, which is "At which point in my drinking?" I have definitely made an effort to cut back since about 2009, but from 1997-2002 it was pretty much every day if I remember (not so clearly)...spotty other years....so it really depends on the time period for me....

SoberD 06-06-2012 03:50 PM

Most recently, 4 to 7 blackout binge days per week.

YVRguy 06-06-2012 04:05 PM

Humm I am total binger where I go weeks and at times months sober and then wham , its 2, 3 ...who knows how many days downing vodka, and lots of it, or anything else when withdrawals come haunting. When your shakes are calmed by vanilla extract its a real clue I guess..talk about down and desperate , but its the truth.

The cycle of the sober time and the binge time has varied a lot....but no question , once that first drink hits , who knows when it ends.....and now even a small binge hurts like hell to withdraw from ...meds or no meds. A true sign to underscore what I still need to work ...I can never drink , period.

Maybe this binge crap fooled me for a long time but the lack of honesty with myself and selective memory seemed to go along with it ....but reality is , I am an alcoholic. 1 drink is way too many and 10000 never enough

BuddyW62 06-06-2012 06:25 PM

Every single day. Hid cash to make sure I had money "just in case". Didn't drink at work but was ready to get rid of the shakes when the work day ended. Weekends were the worst. Starting most Saturday / Sundays 10:30 AM... sometimes being in bed passed out by 5:30 PM. It sucked. Day 27 sober today.

Notmyrealname 06-06-2012 07:10 PM

Drink everyday from when I get home from work, start drinking in the mornings on weekends. I used to only drink at parties, but I'd get wrecked. Then I'd hit the bar every night. Figured out I was going there for the booze, not the people, so I cut out the middleman, started getting my two 40oz malt liquors a night, which became three. I don't want to even venture a guess how many of those I could down now. Then liquor came into the picture.

On weekdays I still generally keep it together because I'm a pretty large guy by now and my tolerance is "up there". That just means I get to feel worse the next day.

Tired of hearing about what I said the day before that I don't remember today, tired of not following through on things that would make my life better. Used to have friends, now I hardly even see family, but I guess I stopped calling people because I was ashamed. Or maybe they stopped calling me.

It is really nice to be able to tell somebody, even if it's on an internet forum. I can't talk to anyone I know about it, and I don't think I can talk about it to anyone in person without breaking down. Even writing posts is very emotional for me. Coming here and reading other people's experiences helped me stop drinking for a month recently, but I had to see if maybe this thing between me and the booze had changed. Nope. Same old story. Gonna give it another shot. Thanks for your stories, they help me out a lot.

Good luck all

pinkdog 06-07-2012 12:24 PM

I started as a binge drinker on the weekend. It just kept increasing over time. Took more to get drunk. Longer hangovers, more sickness. That's the reason I had to quit. It was more and more.

aNewEternity 06-07-2012 12:25 PM

not every day. usually would consume heavily for 2-3 day periods, then crawl out of it for 2-3 days, ad infinitum.

pinkdog 06-07-2012 12:31 PM

Hey Buddy, Congratulations on day 27!:c011:

CactusJill 06-07-2012 06:23 PM

Weekends only, which in a way worked against me because I was able to fool myself into thinking that because I didn't drink everyday I didn't have a problem.

neferkamichael 06-08-2012 01:09 AM

The last 8 years of my drinking career, if I was awake I was drinking. :egypt:

FrankBarone 06-08-2012 02:48 AM

All depends. Some weeks I would drink everyday without 'going over the score' as I saw it - having maybe five or six bottles of beer after work. Other times I would hit it hard for four or five days - drink-sleep-drink - and then wallow in self loathing, paranoia and hoplessness for about a week without touching a drop.

Glad I don't do that now.

WineOhNo 06-15-2012 10:56 AM

I drank 1-2 bottles of wine every night for slightly over 15 years (minus the time i didn't drink during pregnancies/breastfeeding). I don't miss it.

Tippingpoint 06-15-2012 11:08 AM

Sometimes I would take Monday off...

Live2Run25 06-15-2012 12:08 PM

Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights 4+ drinks each night, and then big weekend events i'd drink all day.. like my last day of drinking 6 bottles of wine. Ugh.

Live2Run25 06-15-2012 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sunandrain (Post 3383127)
I only binge drink at weekends and I think it's why it's taken me so long to admit I have a problem, because I always told myself that people who have drinking problems drink everyday. I've realised my binge drinking is a problem because I'm not capable of having one drink, I'm not capable of having a few drinks and then going home. No, I drink until I'm physically unable to, when I've passed out. I never have memories of a drinking session, I did so many things I regret, made an idiot out of myself, put myself in very vulnerable positions where anybody could have taken advantage of me. Once I start, it becomes a compulsion to carry on, and have another drink, and another, and another...

This is me EXACTLY! Thank you for posting. I feel better knowing someone shares my exact situation. I too had a hard time (still do sometimes) with thinking it's a problem, but I know DEEP DOWN it is.

endlesspatience 06-15-2012 03:12 PM

Cactus Jill said: Weekends only, which in a way worked against me because I was able to fool myself into thinking that because I didn't drink everyday I didn't have a problem.

That's almost true for me. But I would add that another way in which I was fooling myself that I was only drinking at the weekends and that wine and beer I had in the week "didn't count" because I was a weekend drinker.

LiveLikeGold6 06-15-2012 03:52 PM

I see there is a common thread of denial and self-delusion amongst us weekend warriors. I am glad we have found our way here despite that.