Notices

New to sobriety

Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to sobriety

Hello. My name is Joey, I'm an alcoholic who lives in Minnesota (there's a shock, an alcoholic in Minnesota). Yesterday I got really drunk and seriously thought about shooting myself. This morning I decided enough was enough. I simply could not go on living this way. I got help by joining AA then this site. Everyone said to post on this forum so I am doing so. I am 500 dollars in debt because I kept writing bad checks to the liquor store. Oops. Please give me insight as to how you got sober and got your life on track. I'm not sure if I did this right, I'll just submit it and see what happens.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Joey, Welcome to SR

You'll find a lot of support here and I know the SR community has been vital for my sobriety, along with AA. For me, everything starts with One Day At A Time and lots of patience. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Glad you can be here with us. Alcoholism kills. Some slowly, over time. Others, rapidly. I am not suicidal generally, but the closest I ever got was when I was drunk. You are not alone in feeling this way. Welcome to life.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joey,

Welcome!

Know that you can do this and that we are here to offer support. It's hard work, but it will be worth it and you will be able to move forward with your life. I think early sobriety means making a lot of changes in your life - places you go, people you hang out with out, things you do. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome suic (Joey)! So glad you're here! It's not easy to face/admit what drinking has done to us, but it's the first step in getting better. You'll find alot of support here, so keep reading and posting.

I know what it feels like to think about escaping from life (as in permanently). Sometimes it seems like there's no way out, but everyone here and in AA will tell you that not only is there hope, but you can have a life again that is GOOD.

I'm having alot of financial problems myself right now, but I know that drinking will make everything 10 times worse. No matter what problems you're having right now, they're not worth picking up a drink over. We're here to support you!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joey

welcome

You've made a couple of great decisions by joining a recovery group like AA and then joining here.

No-one does this alone, Joey - so try and take it a day at a time and reach out when ever you need help

I used to drink all day everyday - if I can change my life you can too

D
Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for reading this and commenting. I really like this site so far. I'm gonna keep coming back.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What's up man? You can do it especially with help!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hey. Well honestly I got my life on track via aa as well. I too realized enough was enough and went into AA on a friday evening. I turned towards a woman who I thought would be great as my sponsor and before I even said anything she introduced herself to me and asked if I had a sponsor. The main thing is to keep going back to meetings even though it will be uncomfortable at first. You will soon find out that drinking isn't the problem, it's the solution, and AA gives you a better solution, at least in my opinion. It's a miracle that I have nearly 8 months sober. I got a good job, finished school, and broke off a really destructive relationship in my sobriety. Good things will happen, hang in there, do whatever you need to not to take that first drink even if it means 3 meetings in a day or cutting off certain old friends which is what I had to do at first. Goodluck and keep coming back here too, keep us posted
Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've beeN there. There is a reason alcohol is classified as a depressant. You've just taken a really big step-- congratulations!

I was at about 60 days of sobriety before I relapsed a week ago (7 days today yay!) and it's amazing how much my depression and anxiety are easing. Hey, maybe those SSRIs I take are actually getting a chance to work now that I'm not drowning my body in a depressant! :P

GG