Notices

And I cried like a big baby........

Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And I cried like a big baby........

Dentists are expensive. I have been working on implementing a dental plan and it's expensive. I need to stop looking at the whole big picture and just do a little at a time.

I went to dentist office number two after still doing tons of research, phone calls and trying to find what is going to work for me and it was just frustrating and discouraging looking at the total cost.

The assistant in the office told me as we tried to "finance" the dental work "just stay hopeful and have faith", "I have that coming out of my ears" is what I told him. In my head I'm thinking "I'm in a 12 step program, that's where my head LIVES!"

Denied, which is what I told him would happen (dental/medical financing), and I knew it, and not because I was being negative, but just because I've talked, researched, asked questions and I've gone over my credit report, so I know where I stand.

Anyway, I just broke down and started crying right there in the office. I couldn't stop it. I was even trying to look through my phone as he ran my bank card/credit card to charge me for being there in the office, in attempt to turn the water works off. Frustration. Also frustrated because I just spent another $75 dollars for "nothing" as I feel it was. I don't have seventy-five dollars to just throw around.

So I"m at "one day at a time", ONE thing at a time, take a break and breeeeathe!!!!!!!

I had a discouraging day yesterday and I just wanted to share, because a little of it is hanging over my head still. Why I don't throw it out there when I'm going through it is also another issue, I need to stop that.

Hope you all are doing well. And I know, "this too shall pass."
Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

Vegi.. i Got Some Dental Work that i Need Done Too.. Only Way i Ever Get it Done is Slowly.. i Put it Off and Put it Off.. ODAAT indeed! i Got To Remember Not To Be Too Hard On Myself.. i Am Sober After All!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check out your local College, Faculty of Dentistry (Dental School) They all have clinics where 3rd and 4th year students do the work as part of their practicum. The Dental Proffs oversee everything and it is anywhere from a third to half the cost of a private practice dentist.

Good luck with it Vegi.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Vegi!

In Canada, we have free medical care, but no such thing for dental work. It's one of my pet peeves, because it's a major part of whole-body health.

I hope you find some answers.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Vegi))) - I hear ya! I need either extensive dental work, or have what teeth I have left, pulled and get dentures. No dental insurance, don't qualify for "financing" and, unfortunately, I did most of this to myself through my addiction It greatly lowers what little self-esteem I already have, so I know the "dental struggle" well.

However, I do what I can, when I can, and keep looking for options. At least I'm no longer smoking crack and doing FURTHER damage

I DO think it sucks that you had to pay $75 for nothing, though! I found a dentist who's in a not-so-good part of down, but does good work and lets me make payments. Even found a dentist, one time, who, when he asked "how did you go from being a nurse to waiting tables?", and I told him...gave me a free root canal on a tooth next to where he was working He said my story inspired him, and he thought I needed a break. Keep the faith, sweetie...there ARE good people out there.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anna....... DITTO!!!!! I'll have health insurance by November through work, but like my teeth aren't a health concern? Helloooooooo?????

I gotta be able to laugh.....keeps me sane.

24hours, lol!! Yep, that's it!!

gerry, I know you're right about that..........you know, that is the ONE thing I have yet to get any info on, thank you for reminding me.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for allowing me to identify, a year sober I got denied for dental financing due to credit, felt like such a loser. It all worked out in the end. (family and payment plan)

Funny, when I finally looked at all my bills after sobering up the little boxes that you check for payment method are cash, check, money order etc. but no box says you got sober Chops all is forgiven

Thanks again for sharing....it helped alot.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Chops and Amy for relating too. Yep, that's pretty much all of my dental story wrapped up too. Just frustrating as h*ll!!

Amy, that's what I did too, my grinding my teeth from drinking that I guess I did plenty of has cracked some of my teeth, eeeek!!!! So yep. And I thought the same thing, at least I'm not grinding them any more, now just to get it worked on and worked out.

gerryp, I just Googled local dental schools, I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and see what their protocol is. I think it's the last real option that I have yet to really research and I know that I might be able to do that.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here's a list of some dental schools in Florida, north of you, but still not that far. You might to check if they have 'clinics' attached wherein the students are supervised CLOSELY and you only pay for the cost of materials.

dental schools in southeast florida - Google Maps

Years ago I had a lot of work done at Marquette Dental school in Milwaukee and the work was better and lasted longer than from ant private dentist.

Hope the list helps a bit.

Love and hugs,