Notices

Can an Elementary School Teacher go to AA?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
A big thank you to Ozgoddess and Dee. Thank you.

I think I've got my answer to two questions:

1. I am powerless against alcohol. It's always there.

2. Teachers can NOT go to AA in their own community. At least in the USA. The laws are stacked against us.

Bless you both.
I think you're absolutely incorrect about number two.its called anonymous for a reason. If you go to a closed meeting, you will be in a room full of people who have the same or similar issues.

If you ran into a parent, they would be supportive. If you ran into a co worker, well, you are sort of in the same boat.

If you feel that aa might help you, by all means try it out.
In my experience, addiction will try and talk us out of getting well, but it's funny that we never worried about drinking in bars, restaurants, etc, and who we might run into there. As you mentioned in an earlier post, there are doctors lawyers, and other professionals who. Have very se native jobs. aA seems to work fine for them.

And as for the law, I assure you, being in recovery will actually earn you a protected status with the school, as well as the teachers union. I don't know how you came to any other conclusion.

Last edited by DoubleBarrel; 09-05-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: In case you still haven't gone to AA IN THE LAST THREEE YEARS. lol.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I am sorry you feel teachers can't go to AA. I am an elementary school teacher. I have attended AA at the church next store to the school where my husband is principal. AA saved my life and gave me the support I needed to get sober. The first meeting I went to I saw another teacher I knew there who reached out to me and encouraged me to keep coming back. I have had several students the past few years of parents I see at AA. We are all there for the same reason, sobriety. If I would drink in public and act like a fool why should I be ashamed of sobriety? I wanted sobriety more than I cared who saw me at AA. I think teachers are human beings who deserve recovery if they so choose it. Best of luck on your journey.