Notices

Can an Elementary School Teacher go to AA?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think it would be really wonderful if a teacher (particularly a high school teacher) could talk about being in recovery. They might be able assist in educational and/or counseling planning for the drinking problems going on in our schools today.

But, while that would be ideal, I know I'd find it hard to be the one to do it!

Like sobermax said, whatever is best for you is what you should do. Great topic, by the way!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

We've got a school teacher that is a fixture in my home meeting. We have had discussions about anonymity surrounding her job.It is a smallish, ruralish school district she works in. Beyond the time one of her supervisors got a dui and had to go to meetings it's never been even a slight problem for her. I have noticed though, when the parent of one of the children she's taught show up they seem to gravitate toward her as an "authority "figure", aske her questions and rely on her advice, that sort of thing.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I love AA to the depths of my soul. I never assume that I will remain anonymous, in my experience there are just too many personalities in the halls, etc. AA has alot of people dealing with some serious issues including booze.

Alot of great responses so far, my love for AA and the magic of the halls makes me want to urge any person to go no matter what. But on the practical side people suck, they are hurtful and they can be close minded to the disease concept. Especially other alcoholics that may still be in denial about their issue, they can be really mean, I was one. Again, just my experience.

Would I be wrong to think that the teacher's union, especially California teachers union would have this covered from a job safety point of view?

They protect even the teachers that deserved to get canned, never mind someone who is doing the right thing and seeking help.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am now on my 5th day and have been struggling with working up the courage to attend an AA meeting. I feel that it would be the best thing for me in order to connect with others and to work through the emotional issues that lay behind my "need" to drink.. That said, I am also a high school teacher in my community. My fears about attending AA because of my profession have only come into my head the last few days.. I was just anxious overall to attend one. Reading these posts makes me feel so naive to have thought I could just stroll into a meeting and be like everyone else there - I now feel that I can't go to one. I would always be worried in the back of my mind that someone would find me out and that the rumor mill would end up hurting my career - which I could never afford being a single mom to 3 kids. I feel very discouraged right now, I really would like a sponsor and to work through the steps.. I am not religious, but I know that I need to deal with all of my issues surrounding my use of alcohol, and not just being abstinent from drinking.. Does anyone know a way to do these things without going to AA? One of my biggest problems is isolating myself and feelings of loneliness.. any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your post Melinda - this is something that I am glad was brought up.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi, Melinda....

I think the key here is being a student teacher. You don't have a job and you don't know if the AA piece could become an issue when it comes time to get that job.

In my town...elementary teachers do NOT go to AA. I don't fault AA...the town is truly one of those 'gossipy' rural ones that feeds on the lives of others.

Can you go to an AA meeting in a different town? As others have suggested....SMART, maybe?

Just don't know the answer to this. If you knew someone in AA in your area that would be honest with you about the dynamics of the group, that could help.

You are doing so well, Melinda! Glad you are here!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Melindaflowers,
This is a great thread. I posted one similar not realizing you started this one. Anyhow, I am going through a similar issue. This is a big topic for me so please post and let me know how you're handling this, and I will as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I just want to throw something else in here about the anonymity pact. And the pact is HUGE in AA. DO NOT tell anyone who you have seen at a meeting. I continue to see posts here by people who have not been to AA, but assume the anonymity pact will naturally be broken.

I really don't know what to say, but that: it is a serious issue for all of us, and I have rarely heard of anyone's anonymity being compromised.

I can't even ask for a phone number for someone in my home group because the respect for anonymity is so strong. The response I get is "give me your number and I will ask if they want to call you".

I don't know the last names of anyone in my groups.

But, I can understand the feelings of people in small communities. In that case go outside of your community. I did in the beginning. I still do. Actually, I am all over the map with AA meetings and can pop up just about anywhere!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I've wondered/worried about this question, too. I live in a small city, but only have one car. That means my wife uses our car for work, while I walk a lot. I like it that way. Love to walk. So, it's more convenient for me to attend meetings in my neighborhood, which is also the neighborhood of the high school where I teach. So, yes, I'm a teacher, too, and didn't even think about how attending AA might hurt my career, until one day I saw a man there who seemed vaguely familiar to me. I think I met him once at an open house. We couldn't place each other at the time, but afterward it dawned on me. In general, I don't worry about it, but sometimes the fear crops up on me. It seems healthier just to go in my own neighborhood, but is it wise? I hope so.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I have a high profile job and also have some concerns about anonymity. When I first started AA I tried to attend meetings far from my work place. I'm beyond that now, and attend meetings that are convenient for me.

In my area, teachers are unionized so there would be no problem what so ever if someone found out they were in AA.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Interesting thread...

I've always held jobs that were very compatible with my drinking. Never really liked them, though. Now that I am active in AA, sober, and working the steps, I've considered pursuing a career that I would actually enjoy...like, say, teaching.

Whichever career path I choose, I will still be active in AA.

Best Wishes,
Zube
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I advise caution

I have been to hundreds, if not thousands, of AA meetings, and yes, there are teachers in AA. However, I would advise caution. While the meetings are anonymous, in the sense that people do not use last names, and most people will respect this anonymity, they are not confidential. No group process is really confidential.

I would also exercise caution in posting on Internet forums such as this one. Sober Recovery posts are wide open to the public, for example, and are routinely indexed by search engines such as Google. Do not post any personally identifiable information on here, such as your real name, your precise location, your school district, or your picture.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I was worried about parents/administrators/students catching me coming out of an AA meeting 20 years ago when I started teaching. If I was as concerned about staying sober I still might be teaching today. Instead (If I can get an interview) I have to explain why I have 3 OUI s, a spotty job history, no license etc. I know you can t scare an alcoholic but chances are if your on this website you might be an alcoholic. Do yourself a favor get a sponsor who has been through the 12 steps. No one knows or needs to know your in AA. If
anyone tries to say anything negative about you thats their problem. Don t ruin your career like I did. It s a progressive disease of mind and body. the solution is spiritual experience through the 12 steps. All the best !
Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I had a teacher in high school who would come into school hungover all the time. She was known for the occasional vomit in her wastepaper basket next to her desk.

I would rather have my kid taught by a teacher in AA than one who puked in the classroom.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Fob

Just so you know the thread you're replying to is a pretty old one

D
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
No half measures

Worst case scenario every student teacher and mom in the universe know that you're in AA. I would much rather have everyone know that I was in AA and doing something about my problem than the whispers and the gossip of my antics while drunk.

I personally know three teachers three doctors four nurses and numerous other people in public positions that go to AA
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

When I was in junior high, our home economics/shop teacher was an alcoholic. We had him for 3 hours every saturday morning. The first hour and a half, he would be the sweetest guy and his class would be really interesting then we would take a 15 minutes break and when we'd resume, he would be red in the face and scream at us like a looney.
I had forgotten about that, it was many moons ago but I hope he got some help.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Can a teacher go to a bar get drunk and make a fool of themselves.... If the answer is yes then going to aa staying sober and being a productive member of society seems a no brainer to me....
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Just realized this is an old thread... deleting response.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

The topic is still good and relevant - I just didn't want anyone expecting replies from posters of 3 years ago.

D
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I go to meetings and there are several teachers that belong to my home group. We take anonymity seriously.