Notices

Day 8.. really wanting a beer

Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8.. really wanting a beer

ITs sooo sunny out and my whole cultusac is having a giant garage sale and BBQ tonight.. everyone on my block has a drink in thier hand. AHHHH... and my mother in law in coming for dinner, she likes her red wine and so does hubby. I am a beer fan so the red wine in front of me wont be a problem.

I like reading posts about the negatives of alcohol... feel free to ramble off a few for me.. it helps!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

..be tuff!!

..shame to waste 8 days(congrats)...

maybe you do tha cookin'..lol..ozy
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Shelly,

I really hope you manage to keep your resolve.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Think where the beer will end? Will it end up in embarassment, calamity, slurring and general drunken idiot behaviour. That's OK if you're OK with that. But if not then it gets to be a real downer.

A beer for me would end up as a 3 day drink and drug bender. Likely destroying my life in that period in blackout. Potentially drink driving and killing myself or even worse still an innocent pedestrian.

No thanks, I'l just have a cold Coca-Cola instead. But then again I'm a messy, blackout alcoholic. If I wasn't then sure I could have that beer like all those other nice smiley people.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you will feel really sad if you break your promise to yourself....it's only a few hours, you can do it....you don't WANT to drink, so just don't...have something else you enjoy.

someone once posted that a "physical craving" only lasts about 7 mins???? distract yourself, promise yourself some other reward...and feel proud of yourself when you wake up tomorrow AM...be sure to come on and post...I will pat you on the back, I promise!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What caught my attention about your post is something that we all have thought while trying to get sober: "Wouldn't it be nice to have a beer (glass of wine, whatever)...." For us, the idea of a beer (as in one) is simply absurd. Would we really be happy to just have one? What if we want two beers later, or 4 beers next weekend? When do we stop and say ENOUGH?

I don't want to go back to letting a substance control my thinking. I don't want the health consequences, the hangovers, the isolation, the lying, counting, planning, headaches, anxiety, depression, shakiness, heart pounding, waste of money/time, avoidance of problems, not facing my life issues, unable to think, lack of energy, room spinning, hugging the toilet, worrying about my liver, sneaking drinks, withdrawing from my children, sick, deadly, craziness..... that alcohol offers. I hope you don't either!!

(Is that enough negatives for you?!:day6)
Old 06-12-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Shelly.
None of us likes the realisation we're alcoholic. It's natural to chafe against it and have those images of happy shiny people with a glass in hand.

It's not a true image - not for us (one glass?!).

Neo's right - play the tape through.

You've tried the experiment more than enough to know what happens, or you wouldn't be back here.

D
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Shelly,
If I were going to a barbeque tonight I would ravenously drink CocaCola. Not diet, personally. I've found sugary drinks to be like wearing the patch while trying to quit smoking. You still [I]want[I] to smoke but the sharp edge is dulled. It worked great for me last night. I had a wicked craving, almost enough to give in. After even a few sips of a cran-raspberry juice mixed with 7-Up it really took the edge off.

Other times I've shoved a huge York Peppermint Patty in my mouth. Do any and [I]everything[I] to lessen the craving.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What neomarxist said hits home for me, only without the drugs. 1 glass is too many and 300 is not enough.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Shelly

So far this weekend is a real test for me also. It is sunny here, I just finished opening up our pool and its warm and clean. All the family is outside with the BBQ enjoying and swimming and my wife has purchased 2 bottles of Moet Chandon champagne for her side of the family for later tonight. Heck she even purchased a 6 pack of my favorite beer that is sitting cold and frosty in the fridge "I asked her not to but she forgot"

I spent the whole day with the kids playing in the park, swimming having a great time and right now nothing would be better than a cold beer. I have been asked today more than a dozen times from friends/neighbors if I would like a beer and each time I have said no thanks.

But I am about to walk the dog and get some of my favorite soda so this is what I am focusing on right now.

No drinking for me.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a friendly reminder of why you came here & how the BBQ's usually ended up.

Take care & all of the best,

NB

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
This is embarrassing because I am a wife and a mother and should know better but over the last 3 years alcohol has seemed to have gotten the better of me. We have always drank, my husband and I, socially and were often the ones hosting the parties and BBQs for the last 10 years. We always had a great turn out and everyone had alot of fun... I have never been one to get completely wasted where I would be slurring, falling down or starting fights. For the most part I was a really happy drunk.

About 2 years ago, I noticed that I was getting drunker than usual and wanting to drink by myself at night even when there was nothing going on. I found myself hanging out with friends I wouldnt normally hangout with just because I knew they would be drinking. I can handle alot of booze for someone my size (5'5 145 lbs) I was drinking about 10 drinks 3-4 nights a week. I never seemed that drunk, my hangovers were never that bad and the kids never really saw me drinking (always after they were asleep) so I guess no one really noticed.

I finally told my husband that I wanted to quit and he said "Cant you just moderate, dont F*&! this up for everyone else" Again, our social life was quite a huge part of our existance and he felt like he had no problem moderating his drinking.

ANYWAY... to skip ahead, over the last year things are still on a progressive downhill. I still havnt hit a huge bottom - unless kicking my husband out of the house after coming home drunk last week counts - but I have decided that I no longer want drinking and the party atmosphere in my life anymore. I was always afraid that I would lose my lifestyle and my husband if I couldnt learn to moderate my drinking... but I cant and I know that now... so as far as I am concerned, if my friends and husband cant understand I am better off without them.

This is day 2 for me and I couldnt be happier... I plan to stick around. Great to meet you all.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Beer sucks.
Have a Coke, (and a smile.)
Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

It was almost 90 in SF today the nicest day of the year so far.. after we closed the shop someone went and bought a 12 pack for our staff.... normally i'd cherish a beer after a long warm day... I quickly went to the soda machine and got something cold and went outside and had a smoke and after a couple minutes and the cola I felt my thirst subside.. then went back in and wished everyone a great weekend and came home.
Did it suck, yup for about 90 seconds... and now, I'm back in my happy place and really glad I dind't have a beer. so not worth it.
BTW i noticed today that i'm pretty freaking nice to be around when I'm not drinking or hungover. I've not gotten along with my employees as well as I have in the last three weeks. Feels good.
day 20
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notnormal View Post
It was almost 90 in SF today the nicest day of the year so far.. after we closed the shop someone went and bought a 12 pack for our staff.... normally i'd cherish a beer after a long warm day... I quickly went to the soda machine and got something cold and went outside and had a smoke and after a couple minutes and the cola I felt my thirst subside.. then went back in and wished everyone a great weekend and came home.
Did it suck, yup for about 90 seconds... and now, I'm back in my happy place and really glad I dind't have a beer. so not worth it.
BTW i noticed today that i'm pretty freaking nice to be around when I'm not drinking or hungover. I've not gotten along with my employees as well as I have in the last three weeks. Feels good.
day 20
I am going to strongly agree with NotNormal. Hopefully this is what he was trying to say: After sipping, chugging, whatever a Coke I feel 50% better. It takes the edge off the (f*cking have a beer) craving.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You did great. Well done. Hope I can be as strong
Old 06-13-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

1 is too many 1000000000 never enough. When you get to 10000000 are you really going to say enough?

With booze I was only ever as happy as how many more beers I had left. Even if I had drank 18 beers then if I only had a couple left then I would be feeling really depressed and p*ssed-off and plotting to go buy more. If I had another 10 left then I would be OK and at relative ease in my drunken world.

I was never content and at a plateu whils't on alcohol. Only ever content whilst continuously pouring more down my neck. Literally would have a drink in my hand and be constantly drinking for hours and hours. Then waking up not remembering what the hell happened and reaching for another beer.

If I never take the first drink then I ain't in the game.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
1 is too many 1000000000 never enough. When you get to 10000000 are you really going to say enough?

With booze I was only ever as happy as how many more beers I had left. Even if I had drank 18 beers then if I only had a couple left then I would be feeling really depressed and p*ssed-off and plotting to go buy more. If I had another 10 left then I would be OK and at relative ease in my drunken world.

I was never content and at a plateu whils't on alcohol. Only ever content whilst continuously pouring more down my neck. Literally would have a drink in my hand and be constantly drinking for hours and hours. Then waking up not remembering what the hell happened and reaching for another beer.

If I never take the first drink then I ain't in the game.

Yep X 1000

First drink after 10 months my only other time sober caused one thought to fill my mind once I took the first gulp.

"The chase is on" and man was it ever on.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Didnt cave in... had a nice night. We didnt attend the BBQ down the street, instead my mother in law came over and we had dinner. Her and hubby had some wine but that didnt really matter to me. I made some really yummy cookie/frozen yogurt sandwiches that were so yummy.

Watched a movie and in bed by 10:30. Had some REALLY weird dreams that I did drink... but in my dream I only had one.

But thanks soo much for all the replys. You are all right. I dont just want one, I want 8 or 10... and I know thats not a good idea. Im off for a run or a bikeride this morning!!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yea Shelly!! Way to go. And hey, I'll bet that bike ride is alot more enjoyable this morning than it would have been after 8 or 10 beers the night before!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Artsoul!! I wouldnt have bothered with a bike ride if I was hungover... another perk of sobriety!!