Notices

Just IMHO

Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just IMHO

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

Drink driving is not a controversial subject. It is wrong. That is undebatable. And in no way would I condone it, or allow it under my roof. I'm just touching on the apparently unacceptable moral subject of sacrifices you make for ppl you love. Just wanted to say that. life is not as black and white as we want it to be. If it was, none of us would be here. I pray for forgiveness for these acts, anyone can change. This site should be testament to that.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just don't cop a resentment, and don't endanger your sobriety, take it easy.....big breaths...

-Lith
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When somebody acts like driving drunk is no big deal what do you expect. Anyone so fragile they can't handle "hey don't drive while half in the bag" is gonna have one helluva hard time staying sober.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

not seeing anyone getting the point. Ever done anything you regret while drunk. If we had that much contorl over ourselves when being drunk, then none of us would need this website. Just IMHO
Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

to reply to my own post lol I know I needed to forgive myself for a lot when I decided to become sober, that's the point i'm trying to make. I'm not advocating drunk driving, but I'm not going to hide away from the fact that I've done it
Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I explained Lilly - when people argue that something as indefensible as drunk driving is defensible under certain situations - it *is* controversial, and I have no qualms in closing threads here when they degenerate into tit for tat posting.

It's not helpful, it's not useful and it doesn't do anyone any good.

We're all here to give support - we've all done wrong - but to condone something as dangerous selfish and irresponsible as drunk driving, under any circumstances, is not support IMO...it's enabling.

I didn't sign up here to argue topics which frankly to me are pretty clear cut.
I would really like us all to get back to what we do best - helping those who need a helping hand.

D
Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
As I explained Lilly - when people argue that something as indefensible as drunk driving is defensible under certain situations - it *is* controversial, and I have no qualms in closing threads here when they degenerate into tit for tat posting.

It's not helpful, it's not useful and it doesn't do anyone any good.

We're all here to give support - we've all done wrong - but to condone something as dangerous selfish and irresponsible as drunk driving, under any circumstances, is not support IMO...it's enabling.

I didn't sign up here to argue topics which frankly to me are pretty clear cut.
I would really like us all to get back to what we do best - helping those who need a helping hand.

D

That's what I'm saying Dee! Drink driving is reprehensible, and a horrible act. But I know if I hadn't forgiven myself for awful things I had done drunk, I would not have the motivation to stay sober. That's my one and only point.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I stole from my workplace when drunk. It's a reprehensible act. But if I hadn't forgiven myself, I doubt i'd be sober today
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If we all know it's wrong then let's just let it fizzle. Let it fizzle in memory of my grandfather who was killed by a drunk driver while driving with his young son, my father. I think my dad was 8 at the time.

Let's let it fizzle away......
Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyrose View Post
I stole from my workplace when drunk. It's a reprehensible act. But if I hadn't forgiven myself, I doubt i'd be sober today
I'm accepting the things I cannot change, there's nothing controversial about that?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree with Melinda.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think we can all agree that:

1. Drinking and driving is wrong.
2. People do stupid things when they are drunk
3. Forgiveness is important for sobriety

Im having trouble with number 3.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with all three wholeheartedly shelly. And forgiveness is hard, it's so hard. But sometimes not forgiving does more harm than good. I wish everyone could see I think drink driving is horrible. but I'm never going to condemn anyone for life just because they've done it. Forgiveness and the will to change are the main things that count.