Notices

Drunk hubby just called

Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Driving drunk, calling you to let you know he is driving drunk, calling you drunk when he knows you're trying to remain sober are all blatant d-bag moves. When he is sober tomorrow you need to find out from him why he was intentionally trying to upset you. If he is serious about your union he owes you that answer. The man has issues.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree with you severian. There is more to answer to his wife than to anyone else. just lets hope everything's ok either way.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by ironlung View Post
Getting a DUI is like committing murder
Lung, we all have our own opinions but....... GETTING a dui is like committing MURDER? On what planet?

Not getting pulled over and killing someone while drunk behind the wheel IS murder. It's not like it......it is it. Calling the cops may seem wrong to some but allowing a loved one to put themselves in harm's way, and put your children at risk of losing a father is, by a gazillion miles, the greater wrong.

Shelly - I'd talk to him this time.... and call the cops the next time. I got 3 DUIs. I lost my license for at least 5 years and shelled out somewhere around $50,000 in the process. That said: The police SAVED my life, they didn't ruin it. That 3rd one saved my family a TON of pain because, had I not gotten it, I'd probably be drinking today if not already dead or in prison for killing someone. Getting hooked in with the law forced me to attend AA meetings, it forced me to wear an alcohol tether so I COULDN'T finagle my way back to the bottle for 9 months. During that time I found AA, God, came to understand my alcoholism and turned my life around.

If someone thinks they're so untouchable that they can willingly break a simple law like "don't drink and drive" then they're tough enough to handle the penalties.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm really taken back from your response Iron Lung...Drinking and Driving KILLS...if you are driving drunk you don't deserve a license..EVER..
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Ironlung,

It may be a 'bogus' law in your eyes, but it is nevertheless a law, at least in Canada.

And, if you injured someone while driving drunk, you would likely be sued and suffer financially for the rest of your life.
I know you want to teach a lesson, but what if you were drinking, have a bad day, working on your recovery and had that matza ball of DUI dropped in your world... do you need it??? All that BS and trouble going on in light of everything else? Having someone to cover your back and having a serious talk is something else, but to rat on a mate..... damn, not how I roll.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

All i can say -and again i don't condone drink driving - it might not be a habit for him, he might not be an alcoholic, and for every DUI there's another 10 drivers on the road completely drunk. It kills, it is manslaughter and in some ways a voluntary murder. But just put yourself in their shoes, if they have a problem and u call the police straight away, if thery don't and u do anyway, the months of consequences. I wish every drunk driver would be caught, but I couldnt' deliberately get a loved one in trouble with the law
Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've been a drunk driver for years and an extra careful. ****heads who are wasated runi it for all. That makes the 2 drink dinner person get busted and has to go to AA protocol fo almost nothing.
I have driven drunk and know very few people who haven't so I have mixed emotions. Nobody has any business doing it and again I have done it myself. In spite of that if someone hurt a loved one of mine, if they hit even one of my dogs while DUI I honestly feel like they would be better off arrested than if I got to them first.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DayTrader;2623164]Lung, we all have our own opinions but....... GETTING a dui is like committing MURDER? On what planet?

Not getting pulled over and killing someone while drunk behind the wheel IS murder. It's not like it......it is it. Calling the cops may seem wrong to some but allowing a loved one to put themselves in harm's way, and put your children at risk of losing a father is, by a gazillion miles, the greater wrong.

Shelly - I'd talk to him this time.... and call the cops the next time. I got 3 DUIs. I lost my license for at least 5 years and shelled out somewhere around $50,000 in the process. That said: The police SAVED my life, they didn't ruin it. That 3rd one saved my family a TON of pain because, had I not gotten it, I'd probably be drinking today if not already dead or in prison for killing someone. Getting hooked in with the law forced me to attend AA meetings, it forced me to wear an alcohol tether so I COULDN'T finagle my way back to the bottle for 9 months. During that time I found AA, God, came to understand my alcoholism and turned my life around.

If someone thinks they're so untouchable that they can willingly break a simple law like "don't drink and drive" then they're tough enough to handle the penalties.[/QUOTE

This planet my freind. You can't deny the extreme consequenses of DUI/DWI. I know many social dirnkers that are mandated to seek counseling/AA meetings becuase of very low ST. Wake up. This is not murder or violent crime, but a traffic violation.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

definitely, i know if it happened more than once, I would call the cops for the good of my partner. I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that there are many drivers slightly or a bit over the limit. Everyone comes across that risk at sometimes. And if the government really cared about it, alcohol would be illegal.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no excuse for drinking or driving ever in my book, Ironlung.

I don't drive, but I've been a passenger in enough cars where I could have died or we could have easily killed or maimed someone else....and thats not melodrama - a second here a second there, a wrong move...I'm so lucky.

It's a stupid selfish and irresponsible move to drive drunk or stoned. It's also against the law.

There's never a reasonable excuse IMO.

D
Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree that the laws are abit tough for a first offender with no priors...but here in Canada the laws around DUI are going to get even more strict..it's going to be basically a zero tolerance....
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Maybe we should move the DUI issue to its own thread so we can use this one to focus on Shelly's concerns.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't mean to play devil's advocate and for some reason i'm very opinionated tonight. But who hasn't done something against the law. I know I look old for my age and when I was a school girl I bought alcohol no problem. Amongst other things -driving after having too much to drink, speeding etc. None of us are saints. But getting up on soapboxes doesn't help the situations. The consequences may be dire. At the same time, I know if my fiance made that call I would get him to pull over, offer to call him a cab, see if there's friend near where he is that he could stay for the night, anything.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've had a DWI and I lived through it. Sure it was expensive and caused a great deal of inconvenience (as it should), but no one ever died over inconvenience. Many people have died or been seriously hurt because of drunk driving. It may be okay for you, Ironlung, but not for intelligent thinking people.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

This planet my freind. You can't deny the extreme consequenses of DUI/DWI. I know many social dirnkers that are mandated to seek counseling/AA meetings becuase of very low ST. Wake up. This is not murder or violent crime, but a traffic violation.

I've had 3. In Michigan, now.. 3 is a felony - time is served in a state prison and your a felon for the rest of your life.

I'll absolutely deny that the laws are too tough. They're too lenient.

Since this is now well into bazaar-o-world, I'm done with this subject.

Good luck to you with your sobriety lung.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I've had a DWI and I lived through it. Sure it was expensive and caused a great deal of inconvenience (as it should), but no one ever died over inconvenience. Many people have died or been seriously hurt because of drunk driving. It may be okay for you, Ironlung, but not for intelligent thinking people.
i know for a fact very recently i have driven drunk. and I know that I could have hurt or killed someone - trust me I know that. I also know that if I got done for a DUI even aroudn the corner from my house, bye bye legal career, and apart from my fiance, my career is what keeps me sober in the first plac.e I've been in situations where we hav eall been drunk, choose who is the least drunka nd they drive home -probably would still be a DUI if they got pulled over but they wouldn't be under the limit. It's not abotu intelligence. A million factors are involved. And it's easy to say something moral, but to admit you have/might do the same thing is different altogether
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey suki44883. good for you, I'm sure it was a pleasant experience for you and you got a lot of ot it@?@@??

Anyway, lasws are way to harsh, escpesially for a group of people that have a "disease".
Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, stop driving drunk, lilirose. Otherwise, you deserve what you get. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's the truth whether you are willing to admit it or not.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hey suki44883. good for you, I'm sure it was a pleasant experience for you and you got a lot of ot it@?@@??

Anyway, lasws are way to harsh, escpesially for a group of people that have a "disease".
You wouldn't think the laws were too harsh if your 5 year old son was killed by a drunk driver.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well, stop driving drunk, lilirose. Otherwise, you deserve what you get. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's the truth whether you are willing to admit it or not.
I said I have driven drunk suki, and if you can get up on your soap box and be a saint, why are you here? People who think any drink drivers should be thrown straight into jail should get a proper perspective of what's going on on the road evey day. I know it's wrong, and I don't do it deliberately. But everyone on here (including me) who professes to have a disease, it's a bit much to say you always avoid driving. And don't accuse me of being ignorant of the consequence. My second aunt is disabled for life due to drunk/druggged driving.