Notices

Day 7.. and counting

Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7.. and counting

Feeling a little defeated today.. just watched that movie "Dear John" which was very good by the way but it was kind of emotional so I think that might be the problem. Anyway, I am happy to be feeling emotions without the help of alcohol.. so I guess thats a good thing.

I feel a little alone in this. I had two of my friends come out last night and they wanted to go and have a drink.. not lots but just one or two... I went along and had a coke. It was fun actually, I found myself alot more amusing and happy then if I was partaking.. drinking always made me feel like such a loser... mostly because I knew I was the only one going home to have 6 more.

My husband and I had an argument this evening about nothing really and the kids are super busy and worried about moving.. oh did I mention we are moving to a new house we bought in 10 days... I guess I am probably just overwhelmed.

It seems like everyone needs a little peice of me and there is not much left. Maybe I will just get some rest and feel better tommorow. In spite of it all, I am so proud of myself for not drinking this week... I guess thats something
Old 06-11-2010, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It seems like everyone needs a little peice of me and there is not much left.
I know a lot of this is the actual move, but...

I found the more I stayed sober the more healthy boundaries became clear to me,
Shelly...I also felt less stressed irritated and put upon LOL

I think if we're doing recovery properly it's about more than just not drinking, it's also about growing, growing in self awareness and self worth, and growing in appreciation of ourselves (not in a conceited way LOL just getting to like ourselves I guess).

Once we do that, we get better at keeping a little part of ourselves for ourselves - it's not selfish, it's the whole putting the oxygen mask on ourselves thing so we can keep up with responsibilities and take care of those who depend on us

Day 7 - you're doing well Shelly
Good luck with that move

D
Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shelly, try to hang on to 'yourself' through this stressful time of moving.

I, like many mothers, believed that I had to give everything of myself to my family. No one told that I would end up one day, completely empty and lost. Take some time and spend some of your energy on yourself.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Shelly, hang in there!

I can relate. As a Mom, I gave EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING I had toward raising my kids. I even lost myself for a while.

I like what Dee said about putting the oxygen mask on yourself first. My therapist actually used that analogy with me. You can't take care of others unless you take care of yourself first.

Now I make sure I have "me" time... time for yoga, exercise, just lying on the couch relaxing with my dog.... I'm getting better at not looking at this as "being selfish."

Congrats on the 7 days!

Laura
Old 06-11-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.. I think you are right... still feeling a little exhausted, maybe I will try to think of something fun for me to do FOR ME.

THANKS!!