Notices

Trying to quit marijuana after 10 years...

Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Trying to quit marijuana after 10 years...

I need to vent to someone who understands... hope you don't mind...

this is so difficult for me. I've been reading online and it says heavy smokers can take up to 90 days to clean out. i ordered a marijuana detox system tonight, 50 bucks, but it's suppose to help. I'm even looking online for support groups. I feel like dave Chapelle on half Baked when he goes to rehab and everyone laughs and says, "rehab for WEED?!"

I feel like crying. Listen to lil wayne's" i feel like dying"... that's where I am now... depressed....

Doesn't help my mom still smokes and I have to smell it and wonder if it's in my system from her smoke. It's been 1 week since I quit and I have no appetite, stomach aches alll the time, stressed wondering when I WILL be clean of it... not to mention me not having a job or one in mind (I recently quit a good job; the new manager was too much to bear and I wasn't willing to transfer...) and no one to talk to about what I'm going through right now.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello...

I know there is a group on here for former smokers. I am not sure how you find it. I think that you look under community tab. I will try to find the link. I would suggest joining the group and messaging the members for support.

I know it is hard. Marijuana can be so addictive. My mother has almost lost everything to it. People think it is harmless but it is not harmless for everyone. You are making a great choice. Don't give up!

The best way to get it out of your system is to exercise and burn fat. It is stored in fat cells. That is why I would be hesitant to believe that any of these detox remedies will do anything but they might be helpful in a psychological way.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here is the link to the Stoners No More group. Try posting or messaging one of the members and sharing your experience. Best of luck!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-no-more.html
Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Have you thought about NA?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Gardner is correct, marijuana is stored in your fat cells. That's why drinking a lot of water won't flush it out of your system (contrary to popular belief); it just dilutes your urine.

I've known lots of people over the years who smoked pot. Some did it a couple times a year, some all day every day. Some of the "all day" smokers quit when they got jobs, or wives, or whatever. I know a few who have had great difficulty quitting the reefer. Isn't it amazing and frustrating and odd how the exact same substance can have such different reactions on people, even people who seem very similar in character and nature?

Good luck, Gardner. I hope you're able to get some food into your system. I know it's tough when your body is used to eating while you're stoned, then it doesn't want food when you haven't been smoking. Just remember, like all things, that will pass and you'll be able to eat a healthy meal again in no time. Maybe not today, but it'll come. Stay strong.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here seeking support.

I have no specific advice, but I wish you well in your recovery.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Weed detox can be hard, especially if you’ve been a chronic smoker. When I quit pot after smoking I had some of the body aches in addition to crazy vivid dreams and night sweats. Quitting weed is tougher for some than others. Being in the environment where it is being smoked must make it difficult to quit.

Good luck and keep coming back!
Chavo
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. Pothead-alcy here. I went through just what you are describing 2 years ago. I had trouble with the societal attitudes towards marijuana use in early recovery, like that it is not really a big deal or something. Well it may not be for some people, but I don't think my getting high 24/7 was healthy and I have pothead friends, or former friends, that keep toking away wondering why their lives are so bad. Anyway, you made the right choice. Marijuana withdrawal was one of those things that incrimentally improved for me, first week was the worst, etc. I probably smoked as much as you and I don't think I was fully clean for several months. I'd suggest seeing a therapist if you can for the time being, or at least going to meetings. You would be welcomed in the AA meetings I attend even if your problem is just pot (others on this board may disagree but don't worry about them). Also to watch out for: Marijuana withdrawal has major emotional side-effects including higher instances of suicide. I'd also suggest getting out of your mom's house. Eating well and excercising can always help too. Take care of yourself.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Bro

This will be my second post but I figure I can give you some advise as I am going through the same thing right now.

I was a wake n bake / evening daily smoker for as long as you and am on almost 3 week clean now.

The good news is you have 1 week free of weed in your system and this is the worst time for sure. You are only a few days away from starting to feel WAY better. The fog is going to stay for a little longer.

As for the detox and cleaning your system. If you are chronic like I was and smoking the best dank you will need 90 days to be clean and nothing you drink or eat will help speed this up. The detox drinks are a scam for passing a pee test and nothing more.

All my friends are major smokers and this has been hard because I am still friends with them.

Here are a few things that I have been doing to keep the cravings down and not allowing myself to pick this up again.

- Get rid of everything that is involved with smoking "pipes, bongs, papers, your favorite lighter" ALL OF IT!

- Tell everyone that you smoke with your done and ask them to respect this decision. If they make fun of you, time to look for new friends.

- Change all the daily things that you used to do while smoking and start looking into some new hobbies that you always have wanted to do but never did.

- Physical activity is amazing. Get out and exercise until you are soaking wet. This will help with cleaning your system and rid you of the night sweats / insomnia

- When the cravings come just take them as they come. I like to close my eyes and sit quiet and listen to myself breathing in and out for 1 minute. Amazing but it does work for me.

- The crazy dreams are going to start around week 2-3. I would have the most vivid dreams of myself and friends all getting crazy high and would wake up shaking like crazy. They will go away after a month or so.

- Your danger zone period is around 3 months. I never made it past this and hope to this time around. Just remember why you are doing this and think about how bad you will feel if you have to start at day 0 again.

Remember weed for people like you and I is like crack. When people say weed is not addictive they are wrong it is. For people like you and I we need to keep reminding ourselves that this is NOT a harmless plant and it is a HUGE deal if we smoke it. Some people can smoke it 1 time a month, this is not you and I.

If your mom is not supportive of this you might have to make some serious long term decisions on where you might be living if you are serious to leave this part of your life behind.

Congrats on the 1st week! it for sure is the hardest and you almost over the worst of it.