Notices

A&E Intervention

Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A&E Intervention

This show was one of the first things to make me say, hey maybe I have a problem. But I'm in Australia so can't access the episodes from the A&E website andmost on youtube have been taken down for copyright violation. I want to get a hold of them because I need to see them again. The whole point of A&e making the episodes was to help other addicts, I would have thought. But obviously it's just to make profit

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Clearly it's just to make a profit. I'm an intervention addict as well, and noticed the youtube vids taken down. When the rubber hits the road, right. However, I think maybe it's for the better.

It really was a guilty feeling watching these people at their most exposed and vulnerable moments of their lives, for the whole world to see. And AE did their upmost to make it as dramtic as possible, what with the music and all.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Clearly it's just to make a profit. I'm an intervention addict as well, and noticed the youtube vids taken down. When the rubber hits the road, right. However, I think maybe it's for the better.

It really was a guilty feeling watching these people at their most exposed and vulnerable moments of their lives, for the whole world to see. And AE did their upmost to make it as dramtic as possible, what with the music and all.
I definitely agree. I didn't actually like the show. But for the alcoholics, the amoutn of hopelessness i saw, and the amount i identified with them, scared me in to action. although that action ahs not been entirely successfuly, i don't know if I would have seen what still needs to be done without that show. We have like 4 tv stations in australia lol. Never get to see any of this.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have an all regions DVD you can order the DVDs direct from A&E I guess.

I don't blame youtube for taking it down - they've been really scrutinised for copyright over the last few years.

I don't blame A&E either - they're a commercial venture...otherwise where does the money to make more shows come from?

I'm not a fan of the show, but maybe now Austalia's moving to digital TV we'll get to see more shows on Freeview?

D
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey dee,

Maybe i hope so, but of all the things we get on freeview, beauty and the geek USA lol. I don't have much hope. Maybe I should contact A&E but personally I'm a believer of there should be a certain time period, if a show was on the air 2 years ago, it should be allowed on youtube. also because it is so random. I could think of many tv shows I coudl youtube right now. but of course the one I need isn't there
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope this works for those of you "down under"...

Hulu - Search

Videos and Trailers: "Intervention" (2005)
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the links will prob be taken down but i tried them and neither worked -USA only apparently
Damn youtube for taking them down. I didn't want to download and distribute them, just remind myself of their message when I needed it
Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey lilly- I watch the show, too, and it's been a helpful deterent. I went to the A&E website this morning and found out that they do sell DVD's of each episode, but they're $24.95. Ouch..... I suppose there's shipping on top of that. Too bad they don't have full seasons on DVD like so many other shows do. Usually you can get those for around $50. So, A&E is actually making alot of profit on this..... oh well....
Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a hard time watching A&E, it breaks my heart..I almost feel like they get ambushed...and go to recovery most of the time for their family and friends..not for themselves...
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
I have a hard time watching A&E, it breaks my heart..I almost feel like they get ambushed...and go to recovery most of the time for their family and friends..not for themselves...
That's a very important and relevant observation.

Many times that's what it takes, huh? I didn't go to treatment because I wanted to... maybe to save my job.... but I did not come to one day and said, "I want to go to treatment".

Perhaps the opportunity to get an active alcoholic addict sober for a little will help them get past the denial and offer them the chance that willingness will develop for real...

But it is probably a big reason why the long term recovery rates after treatment are so dismal... like, what 30%??

Mark
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't like the show at all.

I think it's geared more to the friends and families of addicts, rather than for addicts themselves.

I have watched Celebrity Rehab sometimes. Of course, it's also commercialized, but I do think it shows more of the struggles that addicts go through as they begin recovery and emerge from rehab to begin their sober lives.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank u everyone for the replies. As crass as the show can be and however blatantly A&E aim to profit from it, I think the message is there. And I know for a fact it was the first thing to make me think 'am I an alcoholic?' If I hadn't had that realisation, I don't know how much further down the track I'd be now. As for the family and friends aspect, I would never want my family to hurt like that, so it's motivation in that respect for me too.