Notices

Formerly addicted to narcotic pain meds

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Formerly addicted to narcotic pain meds

I've been off the pain meds for 7 months. I went thru a terrible spell for a while but have made it thru withdrawls and am on the upside. I have one concern. I was left with neuralgia type pain in my hands and feet, legs and arms. This is stabbing pain, or could even be explained as zaps. I was wondering if this is typical after so long of being off the narcotic pain meds and what others may be doing to combat this type of pain. Thank you.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

We can't offer any medical advice, but I wonder if you've talked to your dr about the pain you are experiencing?

Do any of the otc pain meds help?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We cannot give medical advice here. I would suggest you see your doctor for a checkup to find out what's going on. Do check out our substance abuse forum. Lots of good info there. Welcome to SR!

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MakinMyWay

I have no personal experience to share so I can only second the advice here - get some professional medical advice.

Only they can assess for sure what the cause is in your particular case and the extent of any damage, if any.

D
Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I have spoken to my doctor who called it Neuropathy and prescribed Tramadol and Neurontin for the discomfort. Neither of which I will take because of my history, but she tells me that's the best she can do. I've tried OTC meds and prescription NSAIDS and they don't touch this kind of pain.

I'm not asking for medical advice. I'm asking for others to share their own experiences with this. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any personal experiences to share regarding experiencing sharp shooting pains after getting off of narcotic pain meds. Please come and share your experiences with me. Thank you.