Notices

Hope this is also for family members of alcoholics...?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Hope this is also for family members of alcoholics...?

Hi there...I'm 45 and the wife of an alcoholic. My husband stopped smoking 2 months ago and on his days off he used to start drinking about 1 or 2 pm... but since he stopped smoking he started drinking at about 9 am.
We just had an episode this past Mon...(we're visiting relatives out of state)
I had to take him to the Emergency room. They said he had dangerously low sodium and potassium. and he was still getting used to the high BP meds. He kept getting dizzy when he stood up and when he turned around. He fell over into the tub. ( I should mention he is 62 and going to get a hip surgery when we go home.) And yes, he now has a bone chip floating around in there.
the doctors had him doped up on Valiums for 4 days.

Now he talks and walks like he's still drunk. He talks really slow and here in home town, he doesn't remember how to get to some places.(Thank goodness for GPS!! )

when I brought him into the E-room, they asked him if anything happened did he want to get resuscitated and such. they told me his sodium was so low and he needed 2 or 3 units of blood,& that they thought if he didn't seize, it would be a miracle. He didn't.....is that good?

but like I said he still slurs his speech,he is slow to walk and doesn't remember how to get to some places. Is this normal? When will it get better if at all? if so how long will it last.

They didn't say if he had a stroke or not...

This is a man who won't do as I ask him to but Will do as a doctor Tells him to. The doc told him to stop smoking....he stopped smoking.
This doc told him to stop drinking....and so far he hasn't had a drop since
last mon.

when we get home I will get him into AA.

We leave for home tomorrow. ( thank goodness) but I still worry that this incident has done some permanent damage.

If this sounds something like some else has gone thru ....please let me know.

Thanks and I wish everyone luck.
Have a good evening.

Last edited by rhodyvisitor; 06-06-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi rhodyvisitor

Welcome to SR.

We very definitely are for the firnd and family of alcoholics and addicts too. We have two family and friends forums here

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

I don't think it's possible for any of us to tell you whats wrong with your husband. None of us are doctors here - it may be related to alcohol, or may be something else entirely.

I would see your regular doctor as soon as possible.

D