Notices

Hello

Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I'm new here (obviously!) and just wanted to introduce myself.

I don't think I'm an alcoholic, but I do have a drinking problem. When I start, I just can't stop until I pass out literally. I have been drinking for 26 years and am 42 now. I only drink on the weekends but I am killing myself and I know it. I had 17 bottles of strong beer last night and feel really bad today as per normal.

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder, due directly from the amount I drink (used to drink I should say). I'm on anti-depressants and valium to keep the anxiety in check, but like a total fool I keep drinking. Well, not any more. I'm going to stop and have been sober for 1 day. That's really good for me as it's a Sunday evening and I'd normally be totally pi**ed by now.

So, 1 day at a time I guess.

Thanks for listening to me grumble. If anyone else has anxiety from alcohol, I would really like to hear from you and know how you dealt with it and if you ever beat it.

Spikeman
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Spikeman and welcome.

Anxiety is common with alcohol abuse. Alcohol is a drug which directly affects the brain central nervous system. A lot of people experience heightened anxiety when they withdraw (perhaps this is what you are experiencing on your off days during the week) but this should settle down in time and the body and brain heals itself.

It is certainly wise to be honest with your doctor about your drinking while taking the meds and if you are finding it difficult when giving up, it may help to speak to the doctor again.

There's plenty of face to face support in AA, as well as online here at SR. The only requirement for membership of AA is a desire to stop drinking. You don't have to consider yourself an "alcoholic" to go along and get some help.
Keep in touch and good luck.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spikeman View Post
If anyone else has anxiety from alcohol, I would really like to hear from you and know how you dealt with it and if you ever beat it.

Spikeman
I was an twenty something with panic attacks so bad I had a full cardiac workup including catheterization that found nothing. I would go to the ER with "chest pains" and after a while they would just sit me in a room after a quick EKG.

Mixing benzos (done it) and booze makes for a nasty withdrawl and is a potentially life threatening mixture. I second the previous poster, be honest with your health care provider when drinking on meds.

But your one day one and never have to drink again!

For me, the anxiety was all booze and the additction to it and withdrawl from it.... How did I beat it? Stopped drinking and stayed stop.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey spikeman,
I just recently detoxed from another substance. No matter how you feel during this process remember "this to shall pass". Peace and love.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chops nailed it. Mixing Benzos (valium is a benzo) and alcohol is frickin' dangerous. You may not wake up one morning. Please see your Dr and be completely honest about how much and how often you drink, if you ever deviate from your prescriptions and any other substances you take, even OTC meds.

And keep posting, we are here to help.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Spikeman - you're making the best decision you could possibly make. Keep posting and read the stories of others here. I think you'll find that there are alot of people who had the same kind of drinking issues and have now turned things around for themselves. I know the anxiety that you talk about and I can tell you it feels d*** good not to have to live with it anymore! We're here pulling for you!!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi Spikeman!! Welcome to SR!!

Yes, I experienced my share of anxiety..it got worse as I got older (I'm 38) I haven't had any anxiety for months now....I'm 132 days sober..and haven't felt better!!

we're here for ya!!! xo
Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Spikeman, I guess it's worth focusing on the problem as a problem to start out. The frequency, amount or duration in years are all circumstances that vary for an "alcoholic." There are people who call themselves alcoholic that distinguish certain things between themselves and others as "worse than I am" but they also recognize that it can get worse. There are also people that die before their definition of alcoholic adjusts in time. I just watched a documentary today (Rain in My Heart) that illustrates that.

The first steps, when we can say we have one full day of not drinking or our first weekend, for example, are a really big deal!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not a good idea to stop benzos and alcohol simultaneously without medical supervision. Also not good to mix as others previously stated. Benzos and alcohol are cross tolerant and benzos are used to assist (short term) with alcohol withdrawal. Definitely see a doctor and be honest.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Spikeman))) - Welcome to SR!!

Whether or not you think you're an alcoholic, I'm glad you realize you need help, and this is a great place to get support!

I do want to also recommend talking to your dr. and being honest about the amount/frequency of your drinking along with the meds. I used to be a nurse and the withdrawals of alcohol alone can cause seizures/death.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

Originally Posted by spikeman View Post

I don't think I'm an alcoholic, but I do have a drinking problem. When I start, I just can't stop until I pass out literally. I have been drinking for 26 years and am 42 now. I only drink on the weekends but I am killing myself and I know it. I had 17 bottles of strong beer last night and feel really bad today as per normal.
Hi ya Spike,
something to think about.. most people agree that it's not how much or how often you drink that makes one an alcoholic.. Lots of alcoholics don't drink everyday.
Ultimately, it's what happens when you drink.
Not being able to stop once you start is pretty classic alcoholic behavior.. Having a high tolerance isn't uncommon either.. I only mention these things because sometimes it's easier to deal with a problem when you know what it is...
you are most likely in the right place
Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Spikeman - welcome

I can only second the recurring advice here - see a Dr and be fully frank and honest.

That's a great first step for anyone - because you're also on other meds and have another condition I think it would be particularly good for you.

You'll find a lot of support here- hope to see you around some more

D
Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone for your honest and supportive comments. I feel really welcome and know I'm in the right place.

It's a public holiday here today (Foundation Day) which means I would normally be drinking myself silly this afternoon, followed by an anti depressant and a valium before bedtime (if I made it to bed). I've thrown all the alcohol out that was in the house so fingers crossed my demons won't force me to go to the bottleshop.

Best wishes to you all. Once again, thanks for welcoming me to your community.

Spikeman.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dude- thats dangerous

I am having major issues myself. I take clonazapam ( klonopin) which is a powerful benzo for anxiety- taking it for years, and i am trying to quit drinking. Please dont do the wrong thing and not tell your dr. I am telling you with 100 percent accuracy, that stopping both will kill you. You will have seizures and not sleep for days if you live. Maybe I am wrong with you, but that is a recipe for a disaster. Talk to your Dr dude. If you dont like to do that you will be sorry. your Dr has seen all this **** before so dont be reluctant- thats what drs do, help people like us. You have a cool avatar!
Dub

sorry about the avatar thing- i was looking at a person on this thread with his kid.
Best to you- be careful.
Dub