Notices

hopefully this will help someone...

Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hopefully this will help someone...

i have discovered something in my struggle with this addiction, at least with me. So i mean this to help anyone that might need it.
Change your everyday routine. I had an everyday routine of exercise, work, or something recreational later, drink, eat, go to bed.
I am doing everything different on purpose....(except I like to work- and it isnt screwing up my sobriety too much, except i am around people ripped all the time- but that in a weird way makes me see certain things- sometimes unfortunately death- God Bless his soul).
Do everything different. I mean every thing, your way to the grocery store, your routine when you finish your work, the road you take home. The road you take to wherever you are going, every freeking thing. Just do everything different- meaning that just quitting- which i have done, is beyond difficult so i have discovered for me, that doing this helps a lot.
I know it sounds weird- try it. Helps me.
Love you all- and have a fantastic day- i will. going out on my harley and taking a different road!!!! it will be cool. you can do it. I am still struggling big time- but thought i would share.
Dub
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Dub,

Good to see you. Yes it is a very good distraction technique and the best way to break a habit is to create a new one. You are making some great progress and must be feeling better physically now.

....but your drinking is more than a habit. I really hope you get to AA this time. Particularly with the troubles you had yesterday. Having a sponsor to talk through these things is invaluable in recovery.
Take care
Old 06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Dub,

yeah, i hear that. it worked for me too in those first days, changing my routine. The other stuff that *needs* to be done will have its time as it comes around. You already know about those other things from your past posts, i see.

Getting sober is not a science its more an art. Those first few days are so important to get down into ourselves and find some comfort. Sounds like you have found a sweet spot. Have a good ride.

Rob
Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Dub. The great part of recovery is being able to find what has helped us and passing it along to others. We are all sharing and its awesome.

Totally agree that sobriety is a total lifestyle change. Off with the old and on with the new. Thats how I see it.

Here is to another sober day!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
i have discovered something in my struggle with this addiction, at least with me. So i mean this to help anyone that might need it.
Change your everyday routine. I had an everyday routine of exercise, work, or something recreational later, drink, eat, go to bed.
I am doing everything different on purpose....(except I like to work- and it isnt screwing up my sobriety too much, except i am around people ripped all the time- but that in a weird way makes me see certain things- sometimes unfortunately death- God Bless his soul).
Do everything different. I mean every thing, your way to the grocery store, your routine when you finish your work, the road you take home. The road you take to wherever you are going, every freeking thing. Just do everything different- meaning that just quitting- which i have done, is beyond difficult so i have discovered for me, that doing this helps a lot.
I know it sounds weird- try it. Helps me.
Love you all- and have a fantastic day- i will. going out on my harley and taking a different road!!!! it will be cool. you can do it. I am still struggling big time- but thought i would share.
Dub
Seems like a good idea to me. I'm going to the grocery store right now. I'll try a different route. maybe try something i never ate before.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking 8 yrs ago

I used my vision of myself v. the reality of myself as motivation

my self perception was an outgoing active outdoor hobbyist,the reality was a fat used to be active guy who drank too too much too often

I bought a motorcycle,kayak,started running & going to the gym again,cooking and eating better nutritionally & creatively and eventually got a dog too - I find cooking very self satisfying and at times zen like ;-) fwiw

I had to align my behaviors to the vision I had of myself in order for me to the me I wanted me to be =)

if you are a routine guy whose only routine that is changing is the way you wind down at night- I can see how mixing things up keeps you fresh and inspired,good for you - I like to say you have to outsmart yourself,to think ahead of the next hurdle - good for you buddy keep at it =)
Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Dub,

Congrats on keeping it going strong, mate. I am in your corner all the way!

As an aside, I posted a little thread last week that also discussed this very topic. If you happened to not catch it, feel free to give it a gander. Basically the same thing you said, from my perspective.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Have a great weekend!

//_wlx