Notices

Drinking again

Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking again

I was functional: had a job, and thats about it. Stopped for 6 mos. Drinking again for the last few days.

The feeling is: this is the Real Me. Deep dark secrets, and shame. Jump in and swim. Nothing to be ashamed of, so youre a big, huge, sham to be getting on with your shame. You are a fake. You are a pathetic loser.

How to respond, question mark....new laptop....so annoying...thats how obnoxious I am...I get worked up over a new laptop...feel free to hate me
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you think of what triggered the drinking again??

I have definitely done that several times. I am now 5 days and am on my first Friday night, and it's going to be a tough one for me to get through this weekend.

Don't feel ashamed unless you want to. Keep coming back.

Lithobid
Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted Spryte
This isn't the real you - that's just a lie that makes the drinking easier to continue.

I've known the real you here - noone could fake that

Alcoholism does funny things to our perception - you have 6 months recovery on the one hand, and a few days of relapse on the other....and the few days take precedence?

Nah.

You need to do more work on feeling comfortable with yourself sober, that's all, spryte.

It's scary and immense and many of us fall a time or two.
Stop drinking, pick yourself up, and start again.

D
Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No way Spryte! No way!! That negative thinking comes with drinking. I've been there and rode that bus. The depression that comes with the bottle is just one of the "cute" little drawbacks we experience.

You can do this and you proved it with your 6 months. Anyone of us could relapse and now we want to see you get back on the horse. I'm in your corner and I know everyone reading this is.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i dont know what happened. but every minute of pain that comes from not using, is worth days of happiness. when you get sober. i am with you my friend.
Dub
Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Spryte, a relapse does not negate your six months of sobriety. That was real. Today is different. I do remember a thread you asked about sharing ESH. And today your saying you have dark secrets and shame. There is some connection there to look at as you again stop drinking. And you will stop again, Spryte. Your six months says it all.

Your reaching out tonight says it all too.

Robby
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Spryte,

I remember feeling how you do.

I had to make myself believe that I deserved a good life. We all do.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey spryte,

as if the years and years of physical abuse weren't enough, alcohol has especially put our emotional and mental well-being through the ringer. that's how it works...at least it did for me.

I got some quality sober time under my belt and alcohol was never far away, ready to pounce at the tiniest vulnerability in order to get me back into its grip.

Living in recovery takes practice and it takes some adjusting to. remember how long we operated the other way and where it got us.

Don't beat yourself up. Fire that negative committee in your head, shake off that alcohol grip (hell, cut its hand off - LOL), and get back up and move on.

If you can recall what got you to the point of picking up, that'll be helpful in case something similar happens again - you'll be better prepared to handle it.

And by all means, use all your avenues of support! Glad you're here.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No, I'm not gonna do that.

See you when you get back, which I hope you do.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Spryte,

Your six months are not wasted. If you hadn't been sober that time, you may well be dead by now. But you are here and you have a chance to recover...

I understand why you drank again. There's no need to feel shame. I have done what you have done.

You know there is a solution to this through the 12 Step program of AA - you can start any time you are ready and you will always be welcomed back.
You are not alone.
Take care.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Spryte

My inevitable drunk(with hindsight) last year after 5 months

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...day-1-a-2.html

I hope it doesnt take you the few months of hell it took me to finally do sommething different and get on with the necessary work to find real sobriety!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Spryte, I am glad you posted and this is just the nasty beast talking. Alcohol did the same to me....made me think things were horrible and I felt horrible.

You did sobriety for 6 months my friend. You can get back on that horse again and do it!! I relapsed and picked back up. So so many of us have.

Not to mention.....I kinda like you and think you add something to SR! How is that!!!

Dump the booze and start fresh.

Huggs and here is to a new positive day!!!