SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   June 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/202412-june-2010-sobriety-group.html)

traderjane 06-04-2010 05:06 PM

June 2010 Sobriety Group

Hi all! I have decided to start a June 2010 thread for anyone who is quitting now, trying to quit, etc. and would like to have daily support from others going through the same. My friend over on the May 2010 thread (Artsoul) recommended that I get the ball rolling for June since my sober date is June 1st. I woke up on June 1st and decided it was time for a fresh start and a new approach.

BTW, my avatar is a bug in honor of the month of June ("June Bugs" - okay, a little silly, but we had the May Flowers theme going on in the May group!)

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who wants to join in!

Laura

Horselover 06-04-2010 05:55 PM

Good idea Laura and I like your avatar. I am SURE there will be quite a few members joining in. Come on guests!! Join SR and join this thread. :)

bdiddy5522 06-04-2010 06:09 PM

June is a great month to get sober. Heck, ANY month is a great month to get and stay sober. Good luck June bugs! :) We are all here for you.

Anna 06-04-2010 06:30 PM

Hi Laura,

I'm glad to see you back and starting again.

artsoul 06-04-2010 08:24 PM

Just had to come wish everyone getting sober this month some encouragement - you really can do it! :c031: Trader - you go girl!!!:day6

lillyrose 06-04-2010 09:27 PM

I was happy to see this thread start up. Today's my new day one. Something just feels different about June.... :ring

KC1 06-04-2010 09:52 PM

Hey Laura! I'm here.....

KC

Ghostly 06-04-2010 10:03 PM

I'm part of the April group and we all really support each other. Wish all you June-rs the same. Good luck!

sleepie 06-04-2010 10:09 PM

June 1st was my start date too. Only 4 days in!

flutter 06-05-2010 05:58 AM

Jumping in from December '08 group.. and wanting to wish you June Bugs the best in this, it's an awesome journey.

traderjane 06-05-2010 06:53 AM

Welcome LillyRose, KC and Sleepie!!! Yeah, we have the start of a group!

I hope you are all doing well on this nice Saturday. It's not sunny here, but that's cool. Sometimes I like a cloudy day. I have a lot going on today, but will check in here later!!!

vegibean 06-05-2010 09:17 AM

LOL!!! Laura, I love your June Bug. :)

lillyrose 06-05-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by traderjane (Post 2616702)
Welcome LillyRose, KC and Sleepie!!! Yeah, we have the start of a group!

I hope you are all doing well on this nice Saturday. It's not sunny here, but that's cool. Sometimes I like a cloudy day. I have a lot going on today, but will check in here later!!!

Thank u for the welcome trader! How are you doing? So happy to be part of this group. Day 2.....

:c031:

traderjane 06-05-2010 03:23 PM

Thanks, Vegi!! It thought he/she (the bug) was pretty cute!

Hey LillyRose, I'm hanging in there. I'm past the danger part of the day so I can safely say I made it 5 days now. Just finished dinner complete with coffee and dessert. Now that I'm not drinking, the dessert part of the meal has become much more important!

I had some rather intense wine cravings at around 4:30 pm. I'm not surprised. It's a Saturday. It's hot. I took my kids to the pool -- what I used to do is come home from the pool and pour myself a cold glass of wine. I hope, in time, I will stop thinking that way. I always find the weekend cravings, especially the Saturday ones, the strongest. I used to drink pretty much every Saturday (unless I was getting over a hangover, etc.)

So.... a successful day but a little internal struggle. How are you doing?

vegibean 06-05-2010 04:07 PM

LOL again because I wanted to say "he" but then I wasn't sure if it was a "she", and then you posted that right above me. :haha:

So next I'll just say "great minds think alike." :D

KC1 06-05-2010 04:17 PM

I also was having wine cravings around 4:30 - 5:00pm. That is usually the time I crack open the bottle on the weekend. But I got through it. Been cleaning my house now for 8 straight hours - have moved on to the home office. That won't be too bad cuz I have the TV on here when working so at least I can watch TV while "working" on cleaning up clutter. Hey, it's better than sitting out on my deck with the bottle. Take care everyone.

KC

Aliss 06-05-2010 04:57 PM

I'm totally down with this thread.

Been sobre for 12 hours:a122:;)

KC1 06-05-2010 05:57 PM

Good for you Aliss! Welcome to the group. You will like it here...it really helps.

traderjane 06-05-2010 07:06 PM

Welcome, Aliss! So glad you joined the June thread!

Shalisan 06-05-2010 07:17 PM

Day 2, and in my danger time of evening when I am most likely to suddenly come up with a logical reason why I can drink even though I have been determined not to all day. I have to stay in. If I let myself decide that I "need" some grocery or household item right now, I'm a goner.

I went to AA meetings yesterday and today. They helped, even if I didn't talk. I tried a few meetings a year ago, but I wasn't ready. I hope I am now.

I decided I was going to quit at New Years, as I was able to quit smoking cold turkey ten years ago. I tried to go about it the same way. I told everyone I was going to quit (before then, most people didn't realize how much I was drinking). I wasn't able to stop, and then I was outed.

I'm tired of disappointing my family and myself. I'm tired of doing things that don't fit with my values. I have to do this.

Dee74 06-05-2010 07:46 PM

Welcome Shalishan :)
You'll find a ton of support here - you're never a goner if you don't want to be :)

D

soap 06-05-2010 08:13 PM

hello all,

have been sober since june 2nd. i didn't really choose this date as it choose me. my sleep apnea has transformed into a nice case of heart disease w/ a recent episode which i can only describe as scary.

while my life hasn't come close to hitting rock bottom, my heart definitely has. hopefully i haven't done too much damage to my ticker that i can't recover from it.

i'm in escrow on my house right now and really wanted to wait on sobriety until everything was finished. but circumstances are what they are. going through withdrawals and signing papers, being friendly is going to be tough.....

good luck my june amigos

CherryD 06-05-2010 08:18 PM

I'm getting in on this too. I've got 6 days. I'm a crystal/adderall/ritalin addict for the most part. Or as I like to call myself a grab bag of crazy. Throw in a sex addiction (don't worry I've read the rules and I'm looking elsewhere for that) and a dangerous relationship with alcohol (drunk sorority girl here) and you've got me.

I was involved in the September '09 thread. But **** with the crystal got completely out of control so I left. But now it's a new semester and I'm going to try again. So here I am. I've had a few things happen in the past 2 weeks that have made me never want to drink or touch drugs again. First I got into a fight with my boyfriend while both of us were high and it was super nasty. With us breaking up and then the next morning the 2 of us making a pact to stop using. Then a few nights later I went out drinking and randomly wandered across a street and got hit by a car. I'm fine though, very bruised up, broken ribs and a broken arm. But I'm fine, I'm so lucky it wasn't worse.

I refused the pain med prescription I was offered and so far so good, I'm hanging in there. My boyfriend is too. We've both got 6 days.

Dee74 06-05-2010 08:19 PM

Welcome to you too Soap
I know you'll find help encouragement and understanding here too :)

D

MelindaFlowers 06-05-2010 09:34 PM

Hi Traderjane,
Thanks for starting a June group. Count me in!

Dee74 06-05-2010 10:52 PM

didn't see you there Cherry - welcome back :)
good to see you too Melinda :)

D

crystal67 06-06-2010 12:33 AM

Hi to everyone!! Complete newbie here...day 2 today.

Really glad i found this place :-)

Ive thought about giving up drink before but this is my first real attempt to go for it. Gave up smoking in May so thought i should go for it whilst im on a roll ;-)

Thanks in advance for all the help and support which i know is going to be a crucial part of my success in this!

Dee74 06-06-2010 02:13 AM

Welcome to you too Crystal :)
Good to see so many newcomers :D

D

traderjane 06-06-2010 06:34 AM

Welcome to the thread Shalisan, soap, CherryD, MelindaFlowers and crystal67!!!!

Fantastic to have you all on board.

I'm sitting here on a Sunday morning drinking coffee and SOOOO glad I didn't give into those cravings last night. I hope you all are doing well.

I'm off to a baseball game (Orioles vs. Red Sox) today with my daughter. Should be fun. In the past I used to drink beer at baseball games (doesn't everyone?) Not today. They have plenty of diet coke and lemonade as well. Just never noticed it before :) Quite honestly, it will not be hard for me because it's a day game. I was never a big drinker during the day. If it were a night game, then I might be tempted.

I also have a get together this evening for my daughter's softball team (end of the season party). I'm not really looking forward to it. There are just too many "end of the school year" events and quite frankly I'm wiped out. I haven't had the most relaxing weekend, but at least I didn't drink. Drinking would have compounded the problems by not allowing me to sleep well and making me hungover, etc. So at least that is good!

Next weekend I am going on a yoga retreat. Just for me. Without my kids. My ex will have the kids. I cannot wait. I need it.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday!

Laura

traderjane 06-06-2010 06:37 AM

Here's our June Group so far:

traderjane
lillyrose
KC1
Sleepie
Aliss
Shalisan
soap
CherryD