SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   June 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/202412-june-2010-sobriety-group.html)

Raindance 06-19-2010 09:13 AM

Hey group. I am starting over and recommitting today. It was dumb, it was like I was on autopilot, walking to the store, getting a 750ml of vodka, drinking it. I need to tattoo on my hand, you don't drink anymore you moron!

And here we are.

cscs 06-19-2010 10:17 AM

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Binge 06-19-2010 10:24 AM

I'm on my 8th day. It's going to be tempting tonight since I committed to going out with a girl a while back. She's expecting to go out to a bar or something similar. I'm not sure if I should call it off or go out and make up an excuse for not drinking. I would like to go rather than sit at home, but I hate to put myself in that kind of situation.

parsley 06-19-2010 10:25 AM

Starting day 6. Had a good long talk last night with my significant other about my resolve to quit drinking. He was against it at first because all of my previous attempts have been solely to lose a few pounds and my abstinence didn't last long. This time however, I need to do this for my long term health, my mom died of cancer a few years ago and I don't want to do that to my kids. I also used alcohol to cover up some pretty serious internal hurts. I'm at a place in my life that I feel like I can face those problems head on and not hide behind drinking. I am just now realizing how much I have to live for and what a healthy me can accomplish in this life.

myliberty 06-19-2010 12:22 PM

I'm all in with the June group. 7 days sober today almost to the hour. I stumbled across this site when I Googled the words "twelve pack a day" LOL. Great to see all the support and read how others deal with this monster. It does seem a bit deja-vuish though because most of the fears, feelings and thoughts written on here by others could have easily been posted by me.
I'm new to this and to forums, so bear with me as I get up to speed.

Stang 06-19-2010 01:54 PM

effed up last night and drank! I'm in the June crew now!

MelindaFlowers 06-19-2010 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mercurial me (Post 2629553)
Hello sober June people. I've got x10 days of sobriety in today. Next Tues is my birthday & I want to have my first sober birthday in x17 years. My g/f swears she can see the weight coming off me daily from the lack o' empty calories. Have a great weekend all

You Rock! 10 days is awesome! I'll be interested to hear about your birthday party. Stay strong man! I know you can do it!

Dee74 06-19-2010 03:08 PM

Welcome to all the new crew :)
This is a great group of people - you'll find a lot of support here.

D

MelindaFlowers 06-19-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stang (Post 2630028)
effed up last night and drank! I'm in the June crew now!

Hi Stang,
Welcome to our group! I got my first week sober last month and thought I was a rock star and totally messed it up. The next day I got back up and started again. You just being here and being honest is awesome.

Now come one, let's get it together......both of us!

:You_Rock_

ironlung 06-19-2010 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=MelindaFlowers;2630083]Hi Stang,
I got my first week sober last month and thought I was a rock star and totally messed it up. QUOTE]

I have 8 days now and am feeling great, I'm hoping just to have the strength not to pickup, that's how the cycle usually goes, I quite, feel great and pickup again, I want to quit this for good. Praying daily, exercising and staying positive are the cornerstone for me so far.

Wilde10 06-19-2010 03:48 PM

Mercurial, I am sure it is going to be your best birthday ever... And you will be there next morning to remember it too.

To bed now... after a great sober saturday. Very tired... my kids have this habit of getting up at 6 am, but decided to go for a bit earlier today. So I better put myself in bed right now.

Enjoy the rest of the WE!

OZboy 06-19-2010 04:46 PM

..hey Junebugs!!!!
..what a great way to enjoy the second half of 2010..:c011:

lillyrose 06-20-2010 01:21 AM

sigh... struggling tonight. It's been a long week. But I can do this, I KNOW it!!

I hope everyone is doing well

:wavey:

Dee74 06-20-2010 01:29 AM

I know you can do it too lillyrose :)

D

OZboy 06-20-2010 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by lillyrose (Post 2630395)
sigh... struggling tonight. It's been a long week. But I can do this, I KNOW it!!

I hope everyone is doing well

:wavey:

..cause you can..

..snuggle down n watch the Sunday nite movies...LOL...Ozy...:scoregood

lillyrose 06-20-2010 01:47 AM

My two aussies!!
My Sun night viewing schedule: Customs, Send in the Dogs, Border Patrol, The Force, The Good Wife and House. Once I get through all that Imma hit the hay. sober!!!

:hyper

TimeDrain 06-20-2010 12:09 PM

Ive been sober since June 5th . I really want it this time. Good luck everyone

parsley 06-20-2010 12:11 PM

Way to go TimeDrain!

lillyrose 06-20-2010 02:29 PM

Good Morning my June bugs! Onto the beginning of week 2 of my sobriety journey! I'm so glad to be in this group!!

:dance4:

OZboy 06-20-2010 03:26 PM

G'DAY...YES A NEW WEEK,N' IT'S GONNA GET BEDDER...:grouphug: :lmao

Ozyboy..

super71 06-20-2010 07:22 PM

Can we have a roll call of sorts - I would love to hear how many days all of us have so far.. I am finishing up day 3 with no alcohol...yay me! :)

OZboy 06-20-2010 09:18 PM

:herewego day12 !!!: :thanks

Wilde10 06-21-2010 01:38 AM

8 days!
Most importantly, this means I have managed to survive the WE which is always my excuse... And I also had to travel for job... took planes, waiting in airport, lonely hotel room (all my favourites) and i went through sober.

Very pround of myself! Love this group too! Have a great Monday

lillyrose 06-21-2010 01:44 AM

7 days

:bounce

MelindaFlowers 06-21-2010 02:54 AM

Day 7.

MelindaFlowers 06-21-2010 03:06 AM

Hi Junebugs,
Just my nightly check-in.

Everything is going well. I had my first argument today with my partner since sobriety. It was around 2 pm so my drinking trigger didn't go off. Had it been 8 pm it would have been more of a speedbump.

But, all the same it's interesting to have to deal with life in reality without the backup plan of alcohol. No free passes to relaxation. No false solution to the problem. Interesting.

I've definitely needed my space this week. The less talking the better. Whenever I am talking to someone I've found myself elaborating less and when other people talk all I hear is blah blah blah blah..... . I definitely keep up my common courtesy, but red lights, tailgaters, and lines at the grocery store make me want to hurl rotten eggs at everyone.

I am secretly really happy and proud and feeling good but for some reason I can't bring myself to really show it to the outside world just yet.

The argument today wasn't that big of a deal, more of a minor quarrel but I think it turned some sort of switch, unrelated to it. As I drove off to lunch by myself the floodgates opened and the tears wouldn't stop.

This was the morning of day six and I think I became completely overwhelmed with the immensity of what I am accomplishing here. I think they were tears of sorrow, relief and joy all wrapped into one. They were big heavy tears.

Has anyone else had some sort of overwhelming flood of emotions come all at once?

Wilde10 06-21-2010 03:28 AM

Melinda,

I hope you manage to sleep. Crying is such a good thing. I always feel it makes me re-connect with the child inside me. With that child we all pretend is not a child anymore when we enter 'adulthood' whatever it means. In my opinion, it means we all get into the world of pretending. Pretending we are responsible, pretending we do not need a hand for almost everything, pretend we do not throw tantrums because we are unable to manage emotions... And of course, being an adult means permission to do 'adult-things' like drinking...

Sorry this is not very coherent... but yes, I feel huge waves of emotions going on. Feels like instead of loosing control, alcohol heps me stay under control. Weird, eh?

blocks 06-21-2010 06:16 AM

day 2

BreakFree 06-21-2010 07:30 AM

Good Morning :)

I would love to join you all if you have an open spot! :)

I've been around SR for a few years and most active during the summer months, which are the toughest for me when it comes to consuming/abstaining from alcohol. I am a member of the July 2008 and August 2009 groups :)

I am married to a great guy and we have two young boys, which I home school. My problems with alcohol began after I became a stay-at-home mom, but looking back, I believe I was always in the "danger zone", but just didn't know it. At my worst, I would drink alcohol 4-5 evenings per week, consuming a bottle of wine or a 6-pack each night. I was able to break out of that cycle last fall and only drink on occassion. Things were going quite well and then as the warmer months (spring) approached and we got busier, I could feel my red flags going up and I started getting some pretty clear messages (I am Christian and they were from God) that I needed abstain COMPLETELY from drinking alcohol. The last time I felt God reaching out to me, I did not listen and this time I wasn't going to make THAT mistake again. I won't go into detail because I know not everyone here is of the same faith/belief. If you'd like for me to share my story, PM me :)

I had (and still have) every intention of listening this time, but I gave into temptation while on vacation this past week and am feeling the consequences of my actions. Things have not spun out of control or anything, but I can see that this is not going to be an easy battle. Summertime is a very social time for us and while it is easy for me to abstain/control things in the fall/winter, it is NOT in the summer. We are constantly surrounded by situations with alcoholic rituals and I am easily tempted in those situations. Yesterday we took my husband out for dinner and I ordered drinks. That was my sign that I had so easily forgotten the very clear messages I have been receiving. This is my pattern and I recognize it...

Anyway...I hope my post doesn't sound too cryptic and that it makes sense. I am on Day 1 and counting. Fortunately, I don't have to break out of any daily drinking routines this time and have no withdrawal to experience. It's just the ongoing temptations I will experience through the summer months. My goal is complete abstinence in all situations. I hope we can support one another on this path! It's definitely NOT easy...but all it takes is saying, "NO!" to that first drink...

Have a great day everyone :)

Raindance 06-21-2010 09:09 AM

Welcome!