Notices

June 2010 Sobriety Group

Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone! It has been a loooong day. Never realized how many liquor stores there were in LA. Holy Crap! Sat in traffic 1 1/2 hrs to play date and 1 1/2hrs back! Only spent 2 hours at park. OMG I am so exhausted.. Day 11 for me and running on 4 hrs of sleep. I feel great, but I swear I really wanted a drink. Guess when you start feeling better the cravings start , or maybe it was all the liquor stores, billboards, I passed today. Crazy I never noticed before. They even deliver alcohol and the grocery stores sell liquor.. Got a cheeseburger and Dr. Pepper instead. Now i do feel sick! Thanks for the support everyone. Gotta rest my head! Happy July!

XO
Old 07-01-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

wooowwwwwww....
what has happened in the last 24 hours? This place is full of new posts. Will take me a while, but need to get back to work so I will come later.
Just wanted to thank you all for the support. It is helping a lot.
Melindaflowers. I also have this time of the date that becomes safe. If do not start drinking until kids are in bed and sit for dinner. This means 8.30 pm at least. If I am sober at 10 pm, the danger is over. I will focus on this only.. I will not drink betwee 8.30 and 10 pm.
Have a great day!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

I all My sober date is june 12th. Doing well so far yesterday nice sunny day no humidity laying in the sun would of been nice to have a cold chardonnay. I thought how the nice chilled glass full of wine would taste. I tasted it in my memories mmm good. LOL but I had iced tea with mint leaves Better. I like to read and watch for the peeps that started around my time. We all go through the same stages. When I feel like drinking I get my ass busy and ( I read this on this site b4) don't get too bored, too hungry, too mad and you will less likely to drink. Wow 19 days already Thanks for all your help everyone
Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

yes I am like you no energy day 19 for me. I heard it gets better. just don't know how long it takes. maybe we need to catch up on sleep. Maybe we need to get all thesugar out of our sysem. I will google sugar withdrawl hmmm good idea.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone! :)

So last night I passed another test! We went out to eat...HUGE, HUGE, HUGE temptation for me! Probably one of the absolute BIGGEST. I ordered Sparkling Water with lemon off of the menu. I asked my husband to order the drinks for our family and headed off to the Ladies Room feeling very happy with myself. When I returned, the drinks were already there. Mine was served in a small, old-fashioned, glass canning jar filled with ice, with two lemon slices and a straw already in it. THAT was awesome! And it tasted so refreshing...it really was divine! :)

It felt so good to leave the restaurant without that tired, sluggish buzz I'm so used to getting. It really was awesome. And even though it was hard (only SLIGHTLY, actually), not to order an alcoholic beverage, I really...honestly...and truly...not just trying to convince myself here...DID NOT MISS IT. Amazing! Just AMAZING! I want to shout from the rooftops!

I know it's still really early, but I feel so free. Free from the evil bondage and desire to drink something that sought to kill me.

Wilde10...I don't know if you will see this before you leave for work, but I hope you have a GREAT day! :)

myliberty...CONGRATS on approaching the 3 week marker! WHOO-HOO! That is SO AWESOME! It sounds like you are doing all the right things! As for feeling tired and sluggish...it's hard because everyone's bodies are so different and react to withdrawal in so many ways. I have heard all different kinds of reports. For me, when I gave up drinking on a daily basis, I suffered from mild insomnia so I was EXHAUSTED and therefore feeling pretty tired. I'm not sure how the allergens are in your area, but they are REALLY bad this year and I know they are wearing me down a bit :( Also, I think we tend to do a lot more and burn a lot more calories when we give up alcohol so your body may need more nutritious foods to support all these wonderful changes! :)

(((livefierce)))...Thank you SO MUCH for your kinds words :) No, we don't really *know* each other, but it's amazing how connected we all become in just a few short posts, isn't it? :) I'm sorry you had a bad day at work and for the unhelpful responses you got to that situation! Good grief...WAY TO GO on standing firm in your decisions! :) That is SO AWESOME about your date on Friday. Sounds like you have a keeper in that friend :) Thank you for the link to La Croix sparkling waters! I am going to keep my eye out for them. I'm excited to try something new! :) :) :)

revelation7...You are so right...it really is prevalent in our society :( It's so sad how so much revolves around something that is SO BAD for us. I love that verse, by the way :) A sound mind is definitely alcohol-free ;)

HFA...You are doing AWESOME! Day 4 here you come! :) I don't watch TV anymore either...the programming was starting to make me cringe :(

super71...I'm so happy you and your sponsor clicked so well! That's AWESOME! :)

MelindaFlowers...You sound GREAT! :) Congrats on all of your progress! So much to feel good/proud of! :) :) :)

HOGHUNTER...That's right...keep on chanting! YOU CAN DO IT! I agree with Melinda...that first time when you have to say NO to the urge is KILLER!

crystal67...WAY TO GO! You are closing in on a week! WHOO-HOO! :)

Oz...Mawnin' to you! :) Mmm...I love hearty breakfasts...especially when I don't have to cook them! :) :) :)

KC1...(((my August 2009 classmate))) :)I know it! Where on earth does the time go? I cannot believe July is here! I'm so, so excited, but at the same time, I don't want summer to fly by. What a different summer it's going to be for us, huh? I think that we've both made some AMAZING progress despite the detours we have taken :)

alexvt...That traffic sounds KILLER! :O Big, big, big applause for making it through the day! WHOO-HOO! :) Driving home from afternoons of play is a huge a trigger for me. Sitting in traffic would have been a lot of time to fight my thoughts...WAY TO GO Alex! :) You did AWESOME! :)

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL day! :)
Love,
Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

bochuck...WELCOME and CONGRATS! You are doing AWESOME! You are right about the sugar...it plays a HUGE part in the withdrawal process. As you start researching, you will likely feel like you need to give it up altogether! :O As my children would say, "Why does everything that tastes SO GOOD have to be SO BAD for you?"
Old 07-01-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Day 13 for me and a brand new month - feels like progress

Great to see you back Wilde.

Hope everyone has a great day. It's beautiful here today.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hi Hoghunter! We're here to help you have a successful day, so keep checking in!

How are you feeling today, HFA? I hope you're starting to feel more normal, or at least something approaching better.

Myliberty, when I saw this yesterday, it didn't really ring a bell for me:
My question to the other newly retired drinkers out there is if they have had this same lack of energy.
… until today. I'm so tired, and yet I'm sleeping better than ever. I hope I get some of that energy back like you did, Ozy. Bochuck, any findings on sugar's role in this?

And now I realize that my crankiness of the past few days is probably because I'm at week three, and the old habits are beginning to be overwritten, and new ones are setting up to become hardwired. I have this mental image of the the Dog Whisperer Cesar Milan walking a stubborn dog for the first time. The dog fights the leash for a time -- unpredictably off and on -- before settling into a nice walk. Old habits are kicking up today.

Melindaflowers, my "witching hour" has gone rogue on me! It's decided to play hide and seek, I guess. One of my first thoughts this morning was how could I get out of going back to work after a doctor's appointment and drink all afternoon and watch movies. Seven a.m. is not my usual time of day to obsess with drinking. Or was it, and I'm only just noticing? Ugh. That's bad.

Revelation, that is a great mantra. Thanks for reminding us what we're made of.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by livefierce View Post
How are you feeling today, HFA? I hope you're starting to feel more normal, or at least something approaching better.
Thanks for asking! its the start of day 4. off work today, youngest 10 yr bday. i think im getting better. slept 7 hr and only woke a couple times. when i finally woke for the day i braced myself for the hangover that never came. old habits, i guess.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Just wanted to drop in and say a quick hello to you all and add a short personal note.
This morning I shot the best round of golf in my life...ever, and I did it totally sober.
I am quite proud of myself, because in the past, a day at the golf course usually involved drinking a lot of beer. Who knew you could have fun golfing without drinking.LOL
For those of you who celebrate it, hope you have a happy and safe 4th and for those who don't hope you have a wonderful weekend. See you next week.

Take care y'all
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

hello all! day 5 here. HFA it looks like we're on almost the same day...the way I feel has improved each day this week, with today being the best. I did however have a drinking dream last night so that wasn't fun but at least I felt relief when I woke up and it wasn't true.

Congratulations on a milestone BreakFree. It sounds like you arrived at dinner and created a plan that worked. You are so right about not missing that sluggish post-dinner buzz. I get that too and I just feel useless, full and a bit depressed. Not fun.

Hi Bochuck...iced tea with mint leaves sounds pretty delish.

I hope everyone else is enjoying the day!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone!

I was just going through all the post and am so happy for EVERY ONE of us!

I am on day 12 and i cannot believe my anxiety has subsided so much. I now realize it was the effects of alcohol that were causing them. I would drink a lot, and then none the next day. And repeat. I think my body was in a constant state of withdrawal. Because as soon as I stopped drinking I started Panicking. My mind would just go over all the bad things I did and punish me, causing the panic attacks. Wow even when I only get 4 hrs asleep no panic. My mind tried to do the same trick this morning and nothing. It was AWESOME!

Breakfree thanks for all the positivity ( your like our groups cheerleader ) Oh and I so feel you on the going out to dinner trigger! I have not attempted that one yet! That's going to be a killer. How am i ever going to eat Sushi without Saki? Or steak without a nice Bordeaux? Or my after dinner coffee without Grand Marnier? Ugh! Guess I'll just have a coke and a smile instead!

Super71- Rock on with your new friend and sponsor! 2 for the price of 1!

HFA- Congrats on day 4! Happy birthday to your youngest! Am glad your getting sleep.

MyLiberty- Way to go on Golf Game! I can only imagine how hard it is to hang out with the guys and not drink.

Solar Eclipse- Day 5 Woohoo! your over the big hump! It get's better! Keep it up.

livefierce- I feel you on the energy thing. I figure I am not going to worry about organizing my closets etc.. right now just being sober is enough. I am sure after 1 month our bodies will start to stabalize a bit.

Hi Bochuck, Wild10, and Grace2!

Ozzy, How are you my friend?

TraderJane- Where you at Girlfriend?

Melindaflowers- Sounds like your doing great!

For all of those who are new, WELCOME to JUNE!

Oh and by the way Breakfree, I stole your writing style, makes it easier to focus! Thanks!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hi everyone just checking in. This is day 11 for me. Doing okay. Every night I have to talk myself 'down from the ledge' so to speak. It's hard, but every morning I wake up I remember WHY I am doing this. I feel healthy for once.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
This morning I shot the best round of golf in my life...ever, and I did it totally sober. I am quite proud of myself, because in the past, a day at the golf course usually involved drinking a lot of beer. Who knew you could have fun golfing without drinking.
Well then that gives me hope. I sure could not play golf at all with beers. Maybe there is hope for all the trees on the course, :rotfxko
Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Every night I have to talk myself 'down from the ledge' so to speak.
Chicklet, I'm feeling the same way today. My first couple of weeks were AMAZING. I felt so good! So positive! So encouraged!

My internal monologue today is much crankier and devolves into, "Well, it's a non-issue today because the medication you were on means you'll get sick if you drink today, so shut up already about the wine."
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Hey! Just checking in here - welcome to the new people

I went to the Dr. - my bp was in the normal range - yippee! Had been high/borderline for the last year - amazing what 13 days of no alcohol can do. Also got a prescription for prozac for my depression...we shall see. Continued my walks with my sponsor this morning - just took family out to Japanese steak house for dinner and heading to watch a movie with my daughter.

Have a great night!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

WHAT A HAPPY HEALTHY BUNCH.......lol..Ozyboy...
Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Oz - you make me smile! -
Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Hi,
I am in the JUne group, too. Thanks for starting it!! I love June, so this is a great month for me to start sobriety!
Nancy
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok I officially can't keep up here
I'm glad you have such a busy group tho

Welcome back nancylee

D