SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   June 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/202412-june-2010-sobriety-group.html)

solareclipse 06-29-2010 08:22 AM

hi all im on day 3 and i joined sr yesterday and having been reading and posting since. its great to "meet" other people at similar and different stages of recovery. sparkling water is my fave but also diet coke, kombucha, ice cream and iced tea. those all seem to feel like a treat or just quench some kind of a craving. to be honest, not drinking returns some of the focus to food and other yummy drinks in a way thats kind of exciting. i read an interview with a food critic yesterday who said she never drinks while eating because it gets in the way of tasting the food.

super71 06-29-2010 09:53 AM

Happy Tuesday all :)Day 12. I AM going to an AA meeting tonight at 7:00. Really nervous, unsure if it is for me, not sure what to do once I get there, but I am going to check it out. My goal is to talk to at least one person and to get some phone numbers and find out about a temporary sponsor if the meeting feels "right" to me.

Hope everyone's hanging in there. We can do this! :)

Almath 06-29-2010 10:18 AM

Hey there Junies - you are a fabulous lot and what a great thread!!! It's so refreshing to read your posts and support for one another above :grouphug:

A big welcome to the SR community for those of you who just arrived :c009:

My healthy addiction is San Pellegrino sparkling water - I can't get enough of it :-)! Otherwise my not so healthy addictions are diet coke and a fabulous frothy milky coffee (lait russe) which I treat myself to every morning and which keeps me going and in the evenings I have a nice green tea with lemon. I also enjoy my food a lot more these days now that the focus is off the drink :lmao!!

The best of luck to you all and keep posting!

Big hugs,

Almath

alexvt 06-29-2010 01:13 PM

Hey Everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying their day. Day 10 for me, feeling a lot better today. I think as long as i remember to keep my sugar up, i feel normal. Tomorrow my baby girl and I have Play date. We had 1 play date a couple months ago with same person and we had some wine. Her son is the same age as my daughter, and her husband and my fiance sometimes work together.
This will be my first social interaction since quitting. Like everyone else wine was my alcholic bev also. 2 bottles every other night and sometimes more. Vodka was good for a quick fix too.

Anyway as you can tell by my typing my thought process is still all over the place. You should see how long it takes me to type a sentence, i must start over at least 3 times per sentence. Feel a little illiterate. (even had to look up how to spell illiterate) it's frustrating. Not mention i have baby crawling all over me while I type. LOL

Super71 good luck with meeting tonight, I think I am going to go tomorrow at 8pm.

XO

super71 06-29-2010 01:51 PM

Alex,

I have gone on one social "outing" since quitting.. I think it was on my 2nd day and I just got myself a diet soda and it was fine. Everyone else was drinking, but I really didn't even crave it. It was weird - but I was relieved. That is not to say that I haven't had cravings, because I most certainly have - mostly when I am alone, but in that particular social situation I was fine. Who knows? I am going out into the world again tomorrow :) and meeting up with a girlfriend - we are doing lunch, so I don't think alcohol will be an issue. I am trying to get out and do stuff - one of the main things I did when drinking was isolate and drink alone, need to get out of that "alone" mindset.

Thanks for the encouragement for the meeting tonight. I am very nervous about it, but tired of promising myself I will go and then bailing out at the last minute. I guess I posted it on here to be held more accountable - now I'll look like a real wuss if I don't go. :)

Don't worry about coming across scattered - your posts make sense - I always feel like I get on here and ramble on. :)

super71 06-29-2010 03:34 PM

I'm leaving now for my meeting..feel sick with nerves..aggh!

alexvt 06-29-2010 03:59 PM

Thanks again for the support Super71 and good luck at meeting. You'll be fine! Let us know how it goes!

XO

alexvt 06-29-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by discoveringme (Post 2638892)
Hi everyone.....Day 3 today for me. Feeling the panic attack symptoms, but this time I at least know thats what it is!! Wanted to introduce myself.

Tried to get sober a billion times in the last two years. Had 5 years sober at one time. Im 47, just found out hubbys having an affair..dad died 18 months ago. Thats the basics im dealing with at the moment. Im about as Numb as you can be and still be alive. Im scared to death about what lies ahead when I come out of this alcoholic coma and the fog lifts from my brain.......Bawled 3 times already today...here come the feelings....

Im looking forward to getting to know you all better, and thanks for all the support ive recieved in the last couple of weeks!!
:ghug3

Hey DM, and welcome to June! Just to let you know Anxiety and Insomnia were the worst for me also in first week but it does get better. I promise.
Just stick it out you will start feeling better and better with each day.

Were all here for ya if you need us!

XO

OZboy 06-29-2010 04:17 PM

:You_Rock_

ALL OF YOU!!!!!
:c029:

alexvt 06-29-2010 05:06 PM

You to OZ!

XO

HFA 06-29-2010 05:46 PM

Day 2

Wow only day 2, feels like month 2. Very tired, keep thinking about the 18 beers Id normally have (well they are light beers after all, right?) and the half a pack of smokes. Bought some nicotine gum, man is that stuff expensive. I might have me one of those. My two cravings seem to go hand in hand, smoke and drink.

Are night sweats temporary? Please tell me they stop. I wake up soaked 4 or so times in the nite. Never been sober long enough before to see if they stop. Thanks again for the support and help.

Dee74 06-29-2010 06:00 PM

They stop but it was always at least a week for me...mind you, I live in the tropics HFA.

D

OZboy 06-29-2010 06:37 PM

HFA..yeah they stop..but it's good to flush all the cr@p from your
body..fruit juice will help alot..ok??....:c031: Ozy..

super71 06-29-2010 06:52 PM

I went to the meeting...and still alive. :) It was hard for me to make myself go and hard for me to make myself walk in. I was also nervous because I have a job in the community that concerns me if others find out - but I made the decision that I really think this will help me. The meeting I went to was a beginners, discussion meeting. There were about 30 people there and including me there were 7 women.

I had told myself before I went that I was going to talk and introduce myself - also got some advice from a member on the SR board and he encouraged me to do this as well. I went in and sat down - and then listened to the others speak. When someone wanted to talk they just said their name and that they were an alcoholic and then shared - the topic for the night was "gratitude". I sat and listened - I could hear parts of my own story in everyone who spoke. I really didn't think I was going to have the nerve to introduce myself, but I did. I told everyone that I was new to this and that I was grateful for having 12 days and that I was grateful for making myself walk into the meeting. Everyone clapped and gave me lots of encouraging words - it was wonderful. I also said that I was interested in getting a temporary sponsor for the moment and anxious to start working on the steps.

As soon as the meeting ended all of the women came up to me and gave me their phone numbers. One woman said that she would be "thrilled" to be my sponsor. She lives in the next neighborhood from mine and we are planning to go walking tomorrow morning. She seems like someone I can relate to and really seems genuinely excited to work with me.

I am very excited about tonight, a bit nervous still too because I have isolated so long and only really socialized when there was drink involved. But knowing that she is also an alchoholic and understands is a huge connection and I have a feeling she will understand where I am coming from. :)

Everyone kept asking me how I got to 12 days on my own after drinking every day for the last 5 to 6 years - I told them I had found a really great online support group. :)

OZboy 06-29-2010 08:44 PM

Everyone kept asking me how I got to 12 days on my own after drinking every day for the last 5 to 6 years - I told them I had found a really great online support group.
..what a lovely story..thank-you..Ozy..:grouphug:

Almath 06-30-2010 12:56 AM

Well done Super!!!! What a great post and wonderful achievement!
You should be really proud of yourself :slider3:

Big hugs,

Almath

mf150 06-30-2010 01:35 AM

Starting day 17! :grouphug:

Wilde10 06-30-2010 02:17 AM

Back to square 1

So I drank on Sunday, 'in moderation'. then on Monday and yesterday... back to the future I do not want to have. I really like the June group, so this is my last chance to belong to this one.
It is so incredibly stupid. I do not suffer (yet) from any withdrawal symptoms. I feel better straight away when I do not drink. I sleep better, my whole me feels better. And still, put kids in bed, sit with husband and other friends for the past 3 days and convince myself I do not have a big issue and I can drink one. But it is never one and I always stop wanting more, but conscious nobody else is drinking as much and as fast as I do. Well, you kow the feeling. I feel terrible today but want to be on your boat... So here I am. Firmly determined to not drink today and stop thinking about tomorrow, next week/month/year.
Happy to see many of you are doing a fantastic job!

Dee74 06-30-2010 02:20 AM

Welcome back Wilde10 :)

D

californiapoppy 06-30-2010 05:03 AM

Well I was with the May group, but I guess I'll join your group, hello everyone, today is Day one. Again, that goes without saying I guess....