SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   June 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/202412-june-2010-sobriety-group.html)

Dee74 06-05-2010 07:46 PM

Welcome Shalishan :)
You'll find a ton of support here - you're never a goner if you don't want to be :)

D

soap 06-05-2010 08:13 PM

hello all,

have been sober since june 2nd. i didn't really choose this date as it choose me. my sleep apnea has transformed into a nice case of heart disease w/ a recent episode which i can only describe as scary.

while my life hasn't come close to hitting rock bottom, my heart definitely has. hopefully i haven't done too much damage to my ticker that i can't recover from it.

i'm in escrow on my house right now and really wanted to wait on sobriety until everything was finished. but circumstances are what they are. going through withdrawals and signing papers, being friendly is going to be tough.....

good luck my june amigos

CherryD 06-05-2010 08:18 PM

I'm getting in on this too. I've got 6 days. I'm a crystal/adderall/ritalin addict for the most part. Or as I like to call myself a grab bag of crazy. Throw in a sex addiction (don't worry I've read the rules and I'm looking elsewhere for that) and a dangerous relationship with alcohol (drunk sorority girl here) and you've got me.

I was involved in the September '09 thread. But **** with the crystal got completely out of control so I left. But now it's a new semester and I'm going to try again. So here I am. I've had a few things happen in the past 2 weeks that have made me never want to drink or touch drugs again. First I got into a fight with my boyfriend while both of us were high and it was super nasty. With us breaking up and then the next morning the 2 of us making a pact to stop using. Then a few nights later I went out drinking and randomly wandered across a street and got hit by a car. I'm fine though, very bruised up, broken ribs and a broken arm. But I'm fine, I'm so lucky it wasn't worse.

I refused the pain med prescription I was offered and so far so good, I'm hanging in there. My boyfriend is too. We've both got 6 days.

Dee74 06-05-2010 08:19 PM

Welcome to you too Soap
I know you'll find help encouragement and understanding here too :)

D

MelindaFlowers 06-05-2010 09:34 PM

Hi Traderjane,
Thanks for starting a June group. Count me in!

Dee74 06-05-2010 10:52 PM

didn't see you there Cherry - welcome back :)
good to see you too Melinda :)

D

crystal67 06-06-2010 12:33 AM

Hi to everyone!! Complete newbie here...day 2 today.

Really glad i found this place :-)

Ive thought about giving up drink before but this is my first real attempt to go for it. Gave up smoking in May so thought i should go for it whilst im on a roll ;-)

Thanks in advance for all the help and support which i know is going to be a crucial part of my success in this!

Dee74 06-06-2010 02:13 AM

Welcome to you too Crystal :)
Good to see so many newcomers :D

D

traderjane 06-06-2010 06:34 AM

Welcome to the thread Shalisan, soap, CherryD, MelindaFlowers and crystal67!!!!

Fantastic to have you all on board.

I'm sitting here on a Sunday morning drinking coffee and SOOOO glad I didn't give into those cravings last night. I hope you all are doing well.

I'm off to a baseball game (Orioles vs. Red Sox) today with my daughter. Should be fun. In the past I used to drink beer at baseball games (doesn't everyone?) Not today. They have plenty of diet coke and lemonade as well. Just never noticed it before :) Quite honestly, it will not be hard for me because it's a day game. I was never a big drinker during the day. If it were a night game, then I might be tempted.

I also have a get together this evening for my daughter's softball team (end of the season party). I'm not really looking forward to it. There are just too many "end of the school year" events and quite frankly I'm wiped out. I haven't had the most relaxing weekend, but at least I didn't drink. Drinking would have compounded the problems by not allowing me to sleep well and making me hungover, etc. So at least that is good!

Next weekend I am going on a yoga retreat. Just for me. Without my kids. My ex will have the kids. I cannot wait. I need it.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday!

Laura

traderjane 06-06-2010 06:37 AM

Here's our June Group so far:

traderjane
lillyrose
KC1
Sleepie
Aliss
Shalisan
soap
CherryD
MelindaFlowers
crystal67

Hope I didn't miss anyone!!!

KINGOFNEWYORK 06-06-2010 06:52 AM

Hi all, and Welcome ! I started out in May (midway) but just wanted to wish everyone the best and to hang in there, you will make it and you have a lot of help here at SR !!!! . I was a liter of bourbon (most everyday) dude and Sober Recovery IS essential with me being sober since May 13...Hell yeah, it is hard...Hell yeah I have temptations everyday...Hell yeah, I sign on to SR, read as much as I can, post, play in the arcade, hit up the chat room....anything to take my mind off going to the liquor store..and it has worked !! Not easy, but nothing is that is worth it...and trust me, each one of you is SO worth it...you'll start to feel that soon enough. I am. Congratulations !!

Vixster 06-06-2010 08:26 AM

Hey, I'll be here too.... Been about 12 hours sober so far....

Shalisan 06-06-2010 10:59 AM

Day 3. I woke up feeling sooo good, proud of myself, motivated, optimistic. It was a nice change from my usual first thoughts of remorse and self-recrimination. This weekend seems so long. I am not used to having this much sober time. I'm exhausted now, though. I've only been up two hours and I want a nap. Yesterday I napped twice. Is that part of the withdrawal?

JohnGalt 06-06-2010 01:25 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to join the June group for support (both giving and receiving).

My first sober day was June 2. I had 3 successful days of not drinking, but relapsed on Saturday.

My coping strategy on the successful days was to very carefully plan my evenings around when I would usually start drinking.

On Saturday, my routine was changed because I had a family dinner. At some point in the evening I began to think about actually drinking, and the result was pretty easy to predict.

Oh well. I had a serious eating disorder for many years, and had MANY "recoveries" and relapses. I know from that experience that slipping isn't the end of the world, as bad as it feels afterward.

In joining the June group, I'm visualizing how much better my life will be just by the end of the Summer if I stay away from drinking.

KC1 06-06-2010 01:30 PM

Shalisan - from what I have heard and recently experienced, yes, being tired is all part of the withdrawal. It will go away soon.

KC

Dee74 06-06-2010 02:01 PM

Hey Vixster and John :)

Like KC said, Shalisan, fatigue is pretty normal - it certainly was in my case anyway.
Give yourself a few days :)

Always see a Dr if you're worried.

D

lillyrose 06-06-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by traderjane (Post 2617026)
Thanks, Vegi!! It thought he/she (the bug) was pretty cute!

Hey LillyRose, I'm hanging in there. I'm past the danger part of the day so I can safely say I made it 5 days now. Just finished dinner complete with coffee and dessert. Now that I'm not drinking, the dessert part of the meal has become much more important!

I had some rather intense wine cravings at around 4:30 pm. I'm not surprised. It's a Saturday. It's hot. I took my kids to the pool -- what I used to do is come home from the pool and pour myself a cold glass of wine. I hope, in time, I will stop thinking that way. I always find the weekend cravings, especially the Saturday ones, the strongest. I used to drink pretty much every Saturday (unless I was getting over a hangover, etc.)

So.... a successful day but a little internal struggle. How are you doing?

Hey trader, I know what you feel like. I'm going through that internal struggle right now and my addictive mind saying it would be alright to give in. I've had a very strong sweet tooth every time I've stopped drinking - but I figure with all the calories from the alcohol that I'm no longer drinking, I can afford to be a little lenient!

Thank u for the message
Lilly xoxo

traderjane 06-06-2010 06:54 PM

Welcome to Vixster and JohnGalt!!! I hope everyone else is doing well!

I went to a baseball game with my daughter. We had a great time, though it was a little adventurous with tornado watches, severe thunderstorm warnings, etc. Fortunately all we got was a little rain and wind and the game went on uninterrupted. My team lost, but it was a close game and a fun time.

On the drinking front, I had one diet coke and two large waters. I was so proud of myself for taking care of my body and hydrating myself so well. My body must be thanking me right now for the lack of alcohol and replacing it with water!!!

So many people were drinking beer. I was kind of surprised since it was a 1:30 pm game. I actually felt kind of healthy and proud walking around with my cold water bottle and seeing others going around with their beers. Not really tempted to join them.

There was this one very drunk guy who made an a$$ of himself. It was actually kind of funny. My daughter got to see this (she is 11) and I explained to her that he had had too much beer. Fortunately he was an amusing drunk and not an angry drunk. But it just made me all the more pleased with my decision to stop.

I'll check in tomorrow!!

lillyrose 06-07-2010 12:03 AM

It's so great to have this group up and running. I'm just struggling so much sometimes when I feel like I am starting to get stuck in a spiral of anxiety and I know that a drink would numb that (but not stop the anxiety/depression). My need of a short-term fix makes me struggle to remember my long term goal. But I'm reading obsessively on here because i find my undoing has been my addictive mind convincing me I'm not really an alcoholic, I don't really need to drink. When I can identify with so many people on here, I know that's just not true!

I hope everyone's doing well. I'm looking forward to making dinner in a minute and then sitting at my desk with a nice cup of herbal tea and doing my study with a clear head :)

:grouphug:

Oh and also when I post I want to list one good thing that sobriety has brought me today, that is that I still have an extra $10 in my wallet tonight since I didn't have to buy the usual bottle of wine!

traderjane 06-07-2010 05:49 AM

Good morning all!

Lillyrose, great job hanging in there. These early days are not easy...I have the feeling things will start feeling better for you very soon.

I'm on Day 7 (I'm not quite sure how that happened so fast! For me 7 days without a drink is a LONG time!) Feeling very chipper this morning and off to play tennis.

I read the excerpt that KC posted on the August thread about how alcohol affects the body. Really eye opening. Honestly makes me not want to drink again. That kind of stuff gets to me. After reading that, I kind of diagnosed myself as early to early/mid stage alcoholic with only mild physical alcohol dependence. That explains how I am so easily able to stop without all the withdrawal effects. The physical dependence part just hadn't progressed to that point. But it certainly could if I continued drinking.

This is a better life for me. I'm happy. I'm more productive and concentrating on things other than drinking.

I hope others are doing well on this beautiful June day! Rock on, June bugs!!

Laura