SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   June 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/202412-june-2010-sobriety-group.html)

super71 06-23-2010 12:28 PM

Disclaimer: I am a huge "airhead" in general, so I don't think this is just a side effect of my new sobriety brain fog.. but I AM on day SIX - not five. I just realized where my confusion lies... the date on my computer says 6/24/10.. but it is actually the 23rd..so on my quit date I assumed the computer was correct and thought I had quit on the 19th but had really quit on the 18th! So glad I figured this out - it was making me think I was truly going nuts! I feel much better now. Now, off to go figure out how to fix the date on my computer?!

Dee74 06-23-2010 01:24 PM

if you're running XP, just double click on the time down in the bottom right hand corner Super 71...that will bring up a calendar and you can click on your correct date.

D

super71 06-23-2010 02:12 PM

Got it! Thanks Dee :)

Grace2 06-23-2010 04:08 PM

It's 7 minutes past midnight here and I'm now moving into day 12! Whoo hoo, it's a good feeling. Long may it last/1 xxx

mayorob1 06-23-2010 04:15 PM

Only you can hold you accountable Littlechicklet

Originally Posted by littlechicklet (Post 2633619)
I made it through day one, yesterday, which was one of the worst days I've had in a long time! I talked to my husband for the first time about my issues and he just WOULD not accept it. He has no problem with drinking so he can't imagine how once I start I just can't stop until I'm passed out. We talked for a few hours and while he still won't accept an 'alcoholic' label, he has agreed to help hold me accountable and is ok with me going to AA meetings if I want to. So, there's progress anyway.

If you pass out from drinking you are an alcoholic (unless it only happened
Once in high school). Even if your husband won't let you label yourself an alcoholic hopefully he will understand you need distance from alcohol especially
In early sobriety. But for me & I hope you we are staying sober because our DNA won't allow us to control alcohol. It controls us!!!

Stay sober for you and the rest will happily fall into place

Stay strong,

Rob:c011:

mayorob1 06-23-2010 04:19 PM

Day 12 Congradulations Grace2

Originally Posted by Grace2 (Post 2633990)
It's 7 minutes past midnight here and I'm now moving into day 12! Whoo hoo, it's a good feeling. Long may it last/1 xxx

Way to go'
:c011:

BreakFree 06-24-2010 04:26 AM

Good Morning :)

Just wanted to wish everyone a great day!

traderjane 06-24-2010 06:09 AM

Good morning!!

I am doing well -- was going to go for a run but it's already too hot and humid outside at 8:00 am! Well, there's always the evening.

So yesterday I decided to book a hotel for a weekend for me and my daughter. She graduated 5th grade and wanted a weekend alone with me to shop, see a movie, eat out, get manicures and pedicures, etc. She's my only girl and I spoil her rotten :)

So I went online and looked at a couple of nice hotels and looked at the photos. I was amazed at how much alcohol was made to be part of the hotel experience in the photos. A couple of them had wine cellars and nightly wine tastings for their guests. A few had complimentary happy hours. In nearly all of the photos, alcohol was prominently featured. One picture had two happy career type women sitting at the bar laughing with martinis in their hands. Another picture was of shopping bags thrown on a chair in a hotel room with a nice full glass of red wine on the table next to the chair, suggesting you could shop all day long and then come back and enjoy a glass of wine in your hotel room. For someone trying to give up drinking, it was quite obvious what is going on. Many industries use alcohol, specifically good wines, to suggest the "good life."

Given this, I'm not surprised I have returned to wine drinking so many times. It's so prevelant in our adult lives. But they don't show the other side of the story, do they.

Well, I just decided to book the trip and forget all the references to wine and make it my own trip with my daughter. I'm now a sober person and better off. But what a powerful lie those pictures tell.

Have a great Thursday!

super71 06-24-2010 07:37 AM

One week today!

Very proud of this, and hoping I truly work up the strength to attend the AA meeting tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well - we can do this!

bdiddy5522 06-24-2010 07:55 AM

TJ- Sounds like a fun weekend. Good for you. Yes, alcohol is glamorized all around us. But we know the truth, and what it does to US. Alcohol is just one of those things that we can't have. Oh well. Life can be even MORE fulfilling without it. The keys is remembering where that first drink leads us..... straight to a living hell! Enjoy your weekend with your daughter. :)

Raindance 06-24-2010 08:18 AM

They glamorize McDonalds too, but I know it's gross and not good for me. I have no problem saying no to that. :)

Shalisan 06-24-2010 08:30 AM

Hi everyone. I'm back atter, after... well, you know what after. Back to day 1! Glad to see so many of you are still here!

IrishEyes88 06-24-2010 08:42 AM

Wow! I'm on day 2!!! I can't beleive that it took me sooo long to just get 1 day under my belt. I was afraid of the unknown. I couldn't imagine going even 1 night without a few drinks. (more like a wheelbarrow ful of rum)

Honestly, it wan't that bad. Around 7:30 pm I got very quiet and had to try very hard to get my mind in the right place. Alcohol and good-judgement were having it out in my mind, and alcohol was winning. But in the end, I didn't drink.

Today I feel good emotionally. I'm pretty tired eventhough I slept well. I don't have the energy I expected, but then again, my bod is so used to being sluggish in the morning.

Tonight's going to be an even bigger challenge. I'm ready to face it though.

littlechicklet 06-24-2010 01:23 PM

Hello everyone! Made it to day 3 so far, feeling much better about everything. Also the sun came out so that helps a ton too.

I'm generally feeling anxious about the future but I'm doing my best thinking about today only.

OZboy 06-24-2010 03:38 PM

:23:..just takin' it easy...

..into my 3rd week,so will start to live my life alcohol free and actually
treasure every minute of the day,instead of getting things done early
so that I can get into an afternoon "booze" session..

..ya know what I mean???LOL..Ozy..:c031:

sleepie 06-24-2010 04:10 PM

I'm back! June 24th.

traderjane 06-24-2010 05:18 PM

Hi everyone! Welcome back Sleepie and Shalisan and good to have you on board Irisheyes and way to go LittleChicklet and OzBoy! Hope I did not forget anyone!

I was at work around 4:30 pm and went to get a drink/snack in the kitchen. Inside the refrigerator was an open bottle of wine and BAM! I got a craving out of the blue! Rather than dwell on it, I went online and found out where and when I could go to a meeting. I'm not an AAer (SMART recovery is my preferred face to face group) but AA has more meetings and will do in a pinch. So I popped on over to a meeting. I did not feel like talking, just wanted to listen and absorb. It wasn't my first AA meeting, so I kind of knew the drill but every meeting is a little different. There were parts of the meeting that I did not get much out of, but I always come away with a little tidbit of something that helps me. One guy there said, "It's not for those you want it, it's not for those who need it, it's for those that do it." That kind of hit a chord with me.

Also, I always get something out of the old elevator analogy, "The elevator goes all the way down. You decide when you want to get off." That really hits home for me. I do not want to go down to the next level.

While I was there I took the opportunity to read some of the Blue Book (or sorry, is it the Big Book? See, I told you I'm not an AAer!) during the parts of the meeting that I was not getting anything out of. I read about Bill's Story and the hiding the gin bottles around the house and how he was 40 pounds underweight when he was drinking at his worst point. It occurred to me that I lose weight when I drink and used to think that I was so healthy. Now I'm back to normal weight, exercising a whole lot, building muscle and so much healthier! Our bodies need food and nutrients in order to function and when I drank a lot I was skipping meals. And I would go most of the next day without eating either because I was hungover. Ughhh.

So I hope everyone else is doing well!

Dee74 06-24-2010 05:23 PM

Good for you TJ - I'm glad you reacted that way :)
Welcome back to you Sleepie! :wave:

D

bdiddy5522 06-24-2010 05:35 PM

TJ- thanks for the smile. I am so proud of you for making a positive choice to the craving! We both know what could have happened had you gone the other way. Whether you agree with all of the things in the meetings or not, even getting ONE thing out of the meeting is what it is all about. When I first started AA, I was told "look for the similarities, not the differences". Not everything is going to relate to us, but some things will. Thanks for making me grin ear to ear. One positive choice at a time. My sponsor told me "just keep doing the next right thing".

alexvt 06-24-2010 05:46 PM

I am going to get all the help and support i can so here i am june 20th 2010 was my first day.. On day 5 now.. holding on tight!

alex