SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   June 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/202412-june-2010-sobriety-group.html)

alexvt 06-25-2010 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by super71 (Post 2635675)
good morning everyone. Today is day 8. Happy to see so many on here doing so well. Keep it up! :)

congrats on day 8!!! Yay!

KC1 06-26-2010 05:32 AM

I'm back...today is another Day One. But it's a start.

KC

traderjane 06-26-2010 06:16 AM

Staying Sober ROCKS!!!

First of all Welcome Refcat and Welcome Back KC!!!

Second, I just want to say that it's Day 6 for me and I have zero regrets about stopping drinking.

It occurred to me that when I drink, I really limit the things I can do that night to pretty much staying home and being on the computer. When I don't drink, I can go out, drive around, talk to people without fear of them thinking I've been drinking, etc. What a world of difference.

Last night I decided to got to the grocery store and get all stocked up for the wekeend (my parents arrive today). I went around 10:00 pm, and it was a WONDERFUL time to go grocery shopping. It was not crowded, I found everything I needed and my cart didn't keep bumping into others like it does on crowded daytime hours. It occurred to me that if I had decided to drink last night, I would wake up with the groceries still to be done and a hangover to boot and I'd be scrambling trying to fit it all in. Besides, I like the feeling of being sober and being able to talk to others with a clear head and no worries about what I'm going to say, etc.

I slept like a rock and had really really wild dreams. That is the normal me. They were wild and good dreams. I dreamed I was back in England and the dream just got crazier and crazier as it went on. But I love it! When I drink, I do not dream, or if I do the dreams are laced with anxiety. I do not miss those nights at all, not even a little.

My son's birthday party is in a little while... I planned the whole thing and it's at a laser tag place. Should be fun! Have a nice day everyone!

Laura

crystal67 06-26-2010 07:45 AM

Well, i'm back to day 1 and I was doing so well. Im really disappointed in myself.
I really NEED to stop drinking coz i just cant function the next day - i feel tired and queazy all day long, its horrible!

I am determined to crack this as I really love being sober - i really am a different person in sobriety.

I realise though just how important SR is to my success. When i was sober i was going onto the forums daily for encouragement and support and it really worked. Interestingly, my first drink coincided with not having been on the forum for a few days

super71 06-26-2010 09:03 AM

Crystal67 -
It's another step in your journey to sobriety - so, congrats on your new day 1. I am on day 9 today and have been coming to the boards very regularly these last 9 days. I have other things in the works - Dr. appt, hope to summon up the courage to actually get to an AA meeting, making lists and slowly working my way down them, etc... but SR is my main "tool" for the moment. Whatever works at this point to get me to the next day I see as a postive. Stay with us. :)

super71 06-26-2010 09:09 AM

Day 9! Plan to put away a MOUNTAIN of laundry while watching World Cup, continue working on my kitchen -got fridge and pantry all squared away last night! I also hung out with my daughter and her girlfriend, played "Apples to Apples" with the girls and one of my sons, and then played some Monopoly with just my son. These are things I normally did even when drinking, but I did it all completely sober...what a difference.

alexvt 06-26-2010 10:09 AM

Felling so much better after 1 week of sobriety, Starting to gain a little more confidence in myself, and less anxious. Feel like i am present in my own life!
Have A Great day everyone! Thanks!

Alex-(Beth)

myliberty 06-26-2010 12:14 PM

I would like to join the group if you have room for one more. I am on day 14 and can't believe how much better I feel. The guilt and worry I felt are being gradually replaced by confidence and hope. I am much more productive and can even remember things that happened the day before.
It has been of great help for me these past two weeks, to surf around SR and read the advice and experiences of others when I get the urge to drink.
I am bound and determined to kick this monsters a$$, so wish me luck.

IrishEyes88 06-26-2010 12:34 PM

Ugh... Day 1 again. Now don't I feel foolish for congratulating myself on day 2 on the page before this one.

I already know I'm not drinking tonight, and this time I'm going to stop for way longer than 1 measly day.

I'd say the thing I'm most sick of is the constant paranoia about my health. Since I KNOW alcohol is damaging, I've become quite the hypochondriac. I bounce between fatal diseases, convincing myself that I have it.

When I don't drink, I feel like a healthy, vibrant 28 yr old. I can think about things I enjoy as opposed to death.

Good luck, all. I'm joining the land of the living!

super71 06-26-2010 01:21 PM

Irisheyes-

Health concerns are a big one for me as well. I have a Drs appt scheduled for Monday and I am going to lay it all on the table..scared, but want to get it out there and hopefully feel relief. I have seen others ask this when someone is struggling, so here goes - Do you have a plan? What are you going to do to help yourself not to drink? I am not expert here with only 9 days - I have been coming to the boards frequently, reading alot, making the Dr. appt, and struggling to get up the nerve to go to AA. I am trying to focus on doing constructive positive things each day - like working on the house, doing things with my kids, etc... to keep me motivated and give me a sense of accomplishment. This seems to be helping a bit.

super71 06-26-2010 01:23 PM

Myliberty -

Welcome! And congrats on day 14! :)

IrishEyes88 06-26-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by super71 (Post 2636867)
Irisheyes-

Health concerns are a big one for me as well. I have a Drs appt scheduled for Monday and I am going to lay it all on the table..scared, but want to get it out there and hopefully feel relief. I have seen others ask this when someone is struggling, so here goes - Do you have a plan? What are you going to do to help yourself not to drink? I am not expert here with only 9 days - I have been coming to the boards frequently, reading alot, making the Dr. appt, and struggling to get up the nerve to go to AA. I am trying to focus on doing constructive positive things each day - like working on the house, doing things with my kids, etc... to keep me motivated and give me a sense of accomplishment. This seems to be helping a bit.

My plan... Self-control and a change of attitude are number 1. I make lists of things to do that keep me busy all day. Nightime is different. That's when pure will power will be needed. Monday, the hubby and me are starting a nightly walk with our son.

I'd like to get a check-up but right now I have no insurance. Just a basic appointment is $75. That doesn't include any tests or anything. To help my liver build its strength up, I'm going to take a Bvitamin and Milk Thistle daily.

Dee74 06-26-2010 02:29 PM

I know doctors are expensive there but whatever it costs is probably worth it to stop the paranoia.

Are there's any free clinics in your area IrishEyes?

and IMO - will power never worked for me. I was simply fighting myself.

Acceptance is the key I think - accepting that drinking is not an option and doing everything you can to make that your focus.

D

KC1 06-26-2010 03:56 PM

I am taking an herbal supplement called Kudzu. It is supposed to help regenerate your liver and reduce alcohol cravings. You take two twice a day in between meals. I am well past my trigger points for today, and so far so good. Of course, it's only Day One (again) for me, but maybe it will help in the long run.

KC

OZboy 06-26-2010 04:19 PM

..a sober week-end..me thinkz!!!...Junos'..:lmao

Wilde10 06-26-2010 06:46 PM

I have been very busy and with a bad cold... but here.. my fast check-in! Wish all of you a great Sunday!

I have a tough one coming here... lunch at home with friends and then to restaurant of another friend to watch football... I am in charge of making sangria... But also in charge of driving!!

And my kids will be there all the time - which actually makes the chances of me even craving alcohol almost impossible. So, I will not drink Today!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully I will sleep though. 2.46 am where I am and i cannot close my eyes

BreakFree 06-26-2010 07:16 PM

Good Evening and Happy Saturday! :)

Life is so much better and I feel so "in control" when I don't drink any alcohol...I FEEL SO GOOD! :)

Sounds like everyone is in a good place! WHOO-HOO!
Keep on moving forward!

Sweet Dreams Everyone!
Love,

alexvt 06-26-2010 09:14 PM

Hey Melindaflowers!
I get teary eyed all the time now, I stop myself for fear i wouldn't stop if i started...
Glad you feel better. 7 is a good number! Tomorrow (sunday) will be 8. Hopefully will get some sleep tonight and feel even better tomorrow.

XO-Beth

traderjane 06-26-2010 09:19 PM

Hi all -- welcome MyLiberty! Always room for one more.

I'm doing well, too. Through Day 6 and feeling amazing!!! I'm with you, Breakfree!

My parents arrived today and we had a nice night together. We got some takeout food and played Wii sports together. Very nice, since my kids are with their Dad this weekend and I got some relaxing time with my parents.

My Mom drinks wine. Only one (or maybe 1.5) glasses per night, no more. I take after my Dad, who decided he was an alcoholic years ago and does not drink anymore. There was a time when I was able to drink like my Mom and we even shared wine together, but I know I can't do that anymore.

So I took her to get some wine and she picked out some Chardonnay. We got the food, got home, I opened the wine for her since she was having trouble, and gave her a glass. Then she offered me a glass (she does not truly know the extent of my problems or otherwise never would have offered), I politely declined and said "No thanks" and just poured myself some cranberry juice. So that was a big step.

I'm wiped out now, so good night Junesters!

Grace2 06-27-2010 03:26 AM

Morning everybody.

Hope you are all having a good one and looking forward to the football this afternoon.

Just a quick one as I have a busy day (have to keep busy, busy, busy!). I'm now on day 15, whoop, whoop. Feeling good and sleeping like a brick!

Stay strong and be good to yourselves! Gxx

Raindance 06-27-2010 07:27 AM

Checking in quickly before we're off on family vacation. To think I haven't had to worry about where i'm going to hide my bottle this time!

Love to all, glad this is here.

alexvt 06-27-2010 08:31 AM

Grace2,

You sound Great! Congrats!

Xo-Beth

super71 06-27-2010 10:04 AM

Day 10. Glad to see so many sticking with it and "in a good place" as Breakfree said. I know I won't drink today, but certainly do not feel in a good place. :( Hopefully the clouds will start letting the sun peek through at some point..I need some glimpses of sun to keep going. I do know that nothing I am going through will be made better by drinking, so onwards I go. :)

Grace2 06-27-2010 12:57 PM

Evening to you all.

Day 15 is coming to an end. I am sat here, all sweaty, hair plastered to my head (makes a change from ME being plastered, loads of muck under my nails and soggy jeans because I turned the hosepipe on myself by accident. I've been gardening, digging, planting.weeding and watering. Oh, how feminine I look (not) at the minute.

Anyway, going to grab a bath, scrub my nails etc, do the packed lunches for tomorrow for the men in my life. a bit of ironing. Then I'm going to chill with a large glass of cranberry juice and soda! Mmmmmmmmmmm delicious!

Night night. xxxxx

crystal67 06-27-2010 01:33 PM

Well Day 2 almost over - Day 3 here we come :-)

Well done to everyone - Keep it up :c011:

BreakFree 06-27-2010 02:53 PM

(((super71)))

Yesterday was a great day for me, but today is AWFUL! It's amazing how quickly things can turn around. I've been trying SO HARD, but the rest of my family seems to be working against me today. Everyone has been tired and grumpy...ALL. DAY. LONG. And I'm the one running on the least amount of sleep. I've just about reached my breaking point and now I'm mad at my husband for leaving all the work to me and taking a nap. It's moments like these when I am usually RUNNING for a drink. And as much as I want to, I'm not going to. I guess I shouldn't really say I *want* to, I just don't want to feel this mad and frustrated. I hate feeling this way. So stressed and out of control...UGH! I need to go find some other way to relax...just wish I didn't need to make dinner, give the kids baths and put them to bed, clean up the house and fold the laundry. Not so relaxing :(

Today is one week for me. Tomorrow WILL be a better day! IT MUST! :)

Hope everyone is having a MUCH brighter day than mine!
See you all tomorrow!

alexvt 06-27-2010 02:56 PM

Well that's just AWESOME SUPER71! Congrats!

XO-Beth

alexvt 06-27-2010 03:02 PM

Breakfree, I feel the EXACT same way as you do today!!! i take of the 2 dog, 2 cats and 9 1/2 month old. And everytime i ask him something he makes me repeat myself 3 times or just answers my ques with another ques. I want to punch him in the face (would never hit anyone) Ugh..No sleep, no support and all the work! Fun fun! Plus he still drinks the wine we have and it's damn good wine! But oh well, i am not talking to him at the moment. Pretending i am single today. Who knows if this keeps up, might be tomorrow!

Whew thanks for bringing it up so I could get my anger out!

Just know I feel your pain!

XO-Beth

KC1 06-27-2010 03:04 PM

Crystal - I am right there with you on Day Two. It's almost over and I have passed my trigger points. Maybe the Kudzu is working for me. Day Three will be here before we know it.

KC

Grace2 06-27-2010 04:16 PM

Well done everyone. It's a new day tomorrow. xxx