SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   June 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/202412-june-2010-sobriety-group.html)

cscs 06-17-2010 04:04 PM

Hi everyone. I am so excited to see a June 2010 group. Makes me feel like I am not alone. Day 1 (for the third time in 2 years) coming to a close. Laura, when I read your post about how you would come home from the pool and have a glass of wine - that's me. I have two young boys at home and around 4:00ish I start to get the "itch". It was getting to the point where I would STRUGGLE to take one night off a week. And unlike my husband, I am not one who can just have one glass or one beer and be done. Anyways, thank you all for your strength, and I am so happy to be a part of this group!

sleepie 06-17-2010 04:18 PM

I am a failure this far in the June group. I hope to be a reliable member before the month is out- meaning I hope to be sober in June for the long run :(

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Severian 06-17-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2628174)
I am a failure this far in the June group.

Only if you quit trying.

MelindaFlowers 06-17-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cscs (Post 2628166)
Hi everyone. I am so excited to see a June 2010 group. Makes me feel like I am not alone. Day 1 (for the third time in 2 years) coming to a close. Laura, when I read your post about how you would come home from the pool and have a glass of wine - that's me. I have two young boys at home and around 4:00ish I start to get the "itch". It was getting to the point where I would STRUGGLE to take one night off a week. And unlike my husband, I am not one who can just have one glass or one beer and be done. Anyways, thank you all for your strength, and I am so happy to be a part of this group!

I am glad you are here CSCS. I know for myself that I can't go this alone. Welcome to the June Group (or Junebugs..LOL). :c012:

livefierce 06-17-2010 06:37 PM

I'm a newbie and a Junebug.

And this fits me to a T:

If I let myself decide that I "need" some grocery or household item right now, I'm a goner.
I have a doctor appointment tomorrow that fills me with fear and dread. I already had blood work done 10 days ago, and we're going over the results tomorrow. I am certain to hear how my drinking has affected my health. I'm also certain that I have to discuss my drinking with her. I'm so ashamed, and I dread having to admit my problem with wine.

lillyrose 06-17-2010 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 2628174)
I am a failure this far in the June group. I hope to be a reliable member before the month is out- meaning I hope to be sober in June for the long run :(

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hun the moment you start thinking of yourself as a failure is the moment you become one. You're not a failure because you're still here. 2 tries or 20, you're still on the path to sobriety and that is what counts!
:grouphug:

Dee74 06-18-2010 01:29 AM

Welcome cscs :)

I hope all goes well at the Dr, livefierce - I was terrified too but my results were much better than I expected - in fact they were pretty good :)

and sleepie, no one who keeps coming back to try again is a failure :)

D

cscs 06-18-2010 06:10 AM

Waking up this morning was truly a gift! My spirits are high and my boys seem to be responding to it. I LOVE seeing them giggle again. Day 2 and feeling good!

livefierce 06-18-2010 09:06 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, Dee. Every time I remember that I've got an appointment in X hours, a wave of anxiety hits me. I logged back in hoping for some support or encouragement, and there you were!

parsley 06-18-2010 09:40 AM

My start date was June 14. New to this all and looking for support.

cscs 06-18-2010 10:16 AM

Parsely,
We are newbies together! You are on day four already! Day two for me. You are doing awesome!

livefierce 06-18-2010 10:35 AM

Parsley, CSCS, we're in it together! Keep checking in, y'all.

Wilde10 06-18-2010 10:56 AM

Looks like there are quite a few of us here. This month is going to be a great one... So many women too!

cscs 06-18-2010 11:37 AM

Women rock! (Guys are pretty cool too ;)

GoldenGirl 06-18-2010 12:07 PM

I started yesterday so I'm glad to have found you all:c011:
The post about pouring a cold glass of wine really resonated with me. I can feel a craving ...it's friday night.....but I am NOT giving in! I'm:lala to those voices telling me to go and get a bottle.
Feel really good to be here:c031:

cscs 06-18-2010 12:20 PM

Feeling the "itch" too! ARGH! Made some tea and tuning out the screaming children in the living room. We can do this!

Wilde10 06-18-2010 12:25 PM

Of course men rock too! I guess it is another layer of comfort for me to be in this site... It is not only I am finding other human beens suffering from this hell or generous enough to be out of it and helping from their understanding of this. It is the fact that I am a mother (more than a woman) and I can speak without feeling someone is about to call social services... Another gender issue I guess. I would bet my head that if an alcoholic mother puts a foot in a hospital (at least in the UK) social services get immediately informed. I doubt this happens if it is a father. Or perhaps is my mind playing the victim woman here... It goes very well with alcoholism I think, playing the victim.

Severian 06-18-2010 02:32 PM

The drinking bone's connected to the party bone
The party bone's connected to the staying up all night long
And she won't think it's funny and I'll wake up all alone
'Cause the lonely bone's connected to the drinking bone

:c031:

Wilde10 06-18-2010 02:47 PM

Ha, ha, ha Severian...

At least you can say that creativity is not linked to drinking in your case!:c031:

Severian 06-18-2010 02:51 PM

Thank's Wilde, but that's an old country music song that was playing in my head while I was mowing the lawn this afternoon.

Dang I miss my son! (the regular mower operator).