Notices

Today I am...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I am...

1 mth sober!

Last month on May 3 was a big eye opener. I was going nowhere fast. That day I chose to turn my life around and give in once and for all that I cannot control my drinking. I have known for a long time that I am an alcoholic but never fully gave in. For days I felt like I couldn't breathe.

Well, I have continued to take baby steps, however, the last week or so I have realized I need to work a little harder on my sobriety or I may slip. My patience is not where I want it, and I feel selfish habits creeping up. I sit on the good ole pity pot way too much. I am not working the steps and still do not have a sponsor. I am lacking on the meetings, and have been way lazy lately. I don't visit this great place daily and i need to.

With that said I know what needs to be done I just need to get off my bum and do it!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

js..maybe this quote will help...

"Some people dream of a new life,while others wake up and
work hard at it.."...:ghug3...ozy...

..a month is simply wonderful..
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hi js - great job on one month of sobriety! Don't be too hard on yourself and continue to take those baby steps. I got sober May 1 and I can tell you, I'm not doing everything I should do either. If you feel you're getting more cravings lately, though, hang out here (or go to meetings) and remind yourself why you don't want to go back to your former life. I felt a little funky around 30 days myself, but all in all, life is SOOOOO much better now - there's really no comparison!! Keep going - you won't regret it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Jsibbib -

Glad you are here and congrats on the 1 month. That is a great accomplishment.

But yeah, you have to do the work to stay sober. It is so worth it, but it does require you to actively work on your recovery.

There are lots of ways to do this, but a combination of AA, SR, reading about alcoholism, and helping other alcoholics has worked for me.

It took me 6 months of sobriety to make me completely accept that I was an alcoholic, but once I just got over that, surrendered, and accepted it, I could see so much of the good around me.

I have found that the 12 steps have taught me a way to live happily rather than just not drink.

I'm almost at 17 months now and don't ever want to get complacent.

This disease tells you lies. It tells you that "you're not that bad" and "you can just have one". The reality is that I am an alcoholic and I cannot and will not drink today.

Glad you are recognizing the signs of a possible relapse. I highly recommend working on a program of recovery. This will give you the insurance that you need to help you when times get rougher (as in life, there are ups and down). Great work so far. Keep it up!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you! Congratulations!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one month sober! Whatever your recovery tools, use them like your life depends on it - cause it does.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At least you know how to get sober and stay sober...as you say you just need to get motivated which i hope happens before the next research...wow that researching sucks doesn't it!

Sponsor and steps...the rest was pissing in the wind again, for me, and wondering why it blew back in my face for the umpteenth time;-)

It still amamzes me that it took so long for me to get this lol
Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations: our sobriety dates are very close.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by jsibbib View Post
With that said I know what needs to be done I just need to get off my bum and do it!

And I hope you do it. Having a spiritual awakening from working the Steps, really is something you don't want to miss out on.

Having the obsession to drink alcohol removed is a miracle for an alcoholic.

Well done on one month