Notices

Post Acute Withdrawal??

Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Acute Withdrawal??

Hello everyone, im 28 and sober for almost a year. this is my second detox. The first one happened in 5/2004--at the time I didnt know anything about withdrawal and thought I was going crazy--ended up in the ER (I had been drinking 6-20 beers EVERY day for the last year). I went through about a year of severe anxiety and depression but by early 2005 I was better and by mid 2005 back to normal.
However, in 2006, like an idiot I started in drinking again, but this time a smaller amount, about 2-4 beers a day, but everyday for over 4 years. I thought surely this small amount couldnt cause withdrawals--I was wrong (kindling, maybe?)! In 8/2009 I decided to stop and entered withdrawals as severe as in 2004... I had to be taken to the ER again, my heartrate was out of control and was twitching and shaking.
Now its almost a year later and I still have SEVERE depression and anxiety, sometimes to the point where its hard to leave my house. Iv tried SSRI's but they just make me worse and benzos kill anxiety but make me suicidally depressed. I have improved a lot, and sometimes, maybe about twice a month, I have a period of a few days where I feel back to normal with all anxiety, brain fog, depression ect gone. However, this time PAWS seems worse than last time. It is possible/common that PAWS can be worse the 2nd time around? This will be the last time, I just hope I can escape PAWS one more time...
Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I took antidepressants for about two months or so. They made me feel a whole lot better but I felt they should be just a temporary fix. The 12 steps and a connection to a power greater than me fixed up what the antidepressants masked.

Keep plugging along and try your best!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Psych meds, no alcohol and AA meetings make a powerful combination. You don't mention going to meetings. Going to meetings and beginning to work the steps has helped me immeasurably with my psychological difficulties. I still take psych meds, though nothing that can by any stretch be called intoxicating (no alprazolam, e.g). I have been taking psych meds on and off for a very specific condition for over 45 years, in fact, but they work so much better in combination with AA. I don't know if I'll ever be able to give them up: I don't worry about it. In fact, I worry a lot less in general these days! Best of luck to you. Please try a few meetings.

Last edited by Norther; 06-03-2010 at 05:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I really dont have any cravings for Alcohol, just psychological effects from the damage it did to my CNS. Can meetings help when no cravings are involved? Also, I live in China so I doubt there are any AA meetings near me.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are definitely meetings in Shanghai. Google your city and see if there are any there.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Meetings help with defects of character, which cause pain, psychological pain, typically in the form of fear, anger and anxiety. Cravings are a thing of the past for many, perhaps most, who attend AA meetings (though not entirely for me). They continue to go for the other, perhaps deeper, benefits.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, I will check into AA in my area. Did any of you experience PAWS?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Zorak - I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble. It sounds like you've tried a few things - are you under a doctor's care now? Have you seen a psychiatrist? There's so many different medications out there. SSRI's work great for me, but they didn't work for my daughter. I took about a year, but I think we finally have her on medication that's working. I encourage you to keep trying to find some answers. When you get to the point where you don't want to leave your house, it's a real problem. Hang in there....
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Zorak. I can really relate to what you are saying. I have been sober almost 7 months and am 29 years old. I still suffer from anxiety almost daily. To this day, I am not sure what came first: the anxiety or the alcohol abuse. But either way, I know that alcohol made my anxiety MUCH worse. Since being sober the anxiety has improved but is not gone. As a result I am sometimes depressed. I have not tried any anti-depressants. I just keep thinking that eventually I will start to feel better. I do take a .25 (smallest dose available) of alprazolam before bed. (Doctor prescribed). And I may take one during the day maybe once a week if I really start to feel anxious.

I have thought about seeing my doctor about getting an antidepressant to help, but the side effects scare me and I think in time I will be free from these feelings.

Also, I attend AA and that seems to give me a real sense of calmness. Working through issues that used to stress us is a big help. I hope you can find a meeting in your area.

Keep in touch, and stick around.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I did see a shrink in the States a few months ago, but she was terrible. Basically told me she cant help me. Also, iv had about every medical test possible, 24 hour EKG, MRI, countless blood tests ect. Seems im super healthy, but I feel terrible. Last time Effexor worked wonders for me, but it seems to have turned on me. SSRI's seems to make me completely emotionless now, which increases anxiety. Im going to give it a few more months, I dont want to go back to drinking or commit suicide, but if thats what I got to do to get some relief...
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trust me Zorak, alcohol is not a medication. I agree, it does make you feel better for a short time, but in my opinion its side effects are just far too severe. Most notably... DEATH! I think you will find there are many other remedies out there that will get you relief besides drinking. I hope you take the time to explore them.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jsm

I am not giving you medical advice--but this thread is mentioning meds. I have heard people say that the drug Provigil helps people with PAW. There is some good evidence that it helps with cocaine addiction. Also, people say that increasing your intracellular glutithione levels can be helpful. This is accomplished by taking the supplement NAC. It is available at stores like GNC or by prescription in the form of Cerefolin NAC (which contains also B12 and Folic Acid--which most alcoholics are difficinent in). You can google it. This combo is currently being studied at the University of South Carolina for addiction and PAW
Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know, I promised my G id never drink again. I have to find a solution to this problem, its kept me almost out of work. Im a teacher and a business owner, its hard to teach a class while my hands are shaking. Has anyone tried any natural remedies? Im considering giving Kava a go. I tried Valerian, but it made me super depressed.
For those who tried Anti-D's, how long did it take for it to work? I tried Lexapro, stuck it out for 6 weeks, and by the end of the 6th week I felt like I couldnt feel my arms and legs, ringing in my ears (still have that), totally emotionless, resting heart-rate about 110bpm and totally felt worst than ever. So, now im a little afride of SSRIs.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Provigil,,, interesting. I may give that one a go. I tried adderall, it actually lowered anxiety believe it or not, but the addiction issue and the risk of psychosis (a big fear of mine) made me stop. However, like most meds, provigil is OTC over here. I may ask my Doc about it tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also suffer from sleep apnea and use a C-Pap machine. My doctor told me I could try Provigil to feel more alert in the mornings. He said it is mostly used by people who work nights or people like nurses who have weird shift schedules. I didn't try it as I just plain hate taking meds if at all possible. I have never heard of it being used for PAWS, but keep us posted what you come up with.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can I remind everyone - talking about the meds we have taken ourselves is one thing - suggesting them or recommending them for others is another, and is against the rules here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...al-advice.html

Please consult your doctor before thinking about any course of treatment.

ok....

Zorak, Welcome

I've never experienced PAWs to the levels you describe. I hope you'll continue to consult and discuss things with your doctors - and keep posting here as well

This is one of the best overviews I've seen of PAWs...I hope there's something in there to help.

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

D