Notices

Lips Unsealed

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lips Unsealed

Many of my SR friends weren't born when the Go-Go's were popular. Belinda Carlisle, who always looked so energetic on stage, has written a memoir about her alcohol & cocaine addiction. She was always high/drunk when she performed. She speaks of having a hole in her soul that needed to be filled. When she was little she did it with food. She struggled for 30 yrs. & is now 5 yrs. sober. In an interview today, she said her bottom should have been getting high in the bathroom at her son's school when he was 5. Her bottom came much later - it was when she had to choose between life and death. That's the point that I had reached too. I know many of you didn't let it get that far, and I commend you.

I'm thankful when people are willing to dig down deep and share what they've been through. When I was young it wasn't discussed at all. I was led to believe there was no one like me out there. It seemed that everyone could sip a cocktail and enjoy it, with no consequences. I always felt weak and flawed. It's no coincidence that when I found SR my recovery began. There were so many me's here, from all over the world. It changed my life.

Neo has just said it better - but I also want to thank this community for bringing me through a horrific time in my life. Each and every one of you played a part, and I'll never forget you.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

we thank you too! it's so good/helpfulto have someone to talk to who has been there

you're not going anywhere are you?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes thanks also for sharing..my recovery has started here with SR,and im also so greatfull,i know what you say when..you get close to the point of no return!! and hopefully for most can realize..and pull themselves back from the edge..for me after over a decade,of every night drinkin..the start of this yr..i knew it was a case of change now..wait no more..health startin to play up..a hangover that would take a day or two,to get over..was taking a week..my body was being overun and slowly killed off by the poison of Alcohol..feeling the inability to fight off the affects mentally and physically,
to me a sure sign, it would win, an i would be dead..many stark warnings,now i hope heeded, and on the mend..38 days in an not looking back...no sir, all the way this time,
too much to live for...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks to you too Hevyn.

You have helped and continue to help me so much in my recovery.

Peace and Love x
Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

" I can't come up with a good enough reason to drink "
Wise words from a wise friend of mine. YOU.
Thank you.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great Hevyn. I have seen the book but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I always think it is great when someone who is in the public eye, speaks out positively about addiction.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hevyn, very well said, my gracious friend.

I love your humility and honesty. Thank you.

It never ceases to amaze me how many of us seem to have just stumbled onto SR, as if by accident or osmosis. I thought I did at first.

I really believe there was more divine planning at work that brought us (and continues to bring more of us) all together in this special, little recovery corner of the world. I couldn't be more grateful.

Forward we go, side by side.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hevyn - All I have to say is: I always get something out of reading your posts, so I'm really glad you're here at SR.

Thank goodness for the internet and this wonderful site. I know I would have waited until I was in bad, bad shape if I hadn't "happened" upon this place. (Agree with you, Humble - there's a serendipity that goes way beyond coincidence.)
Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for being here and always encouraging me.:ghug3
Old 06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hevyn, you are wonderful, and I'm not just saying that because you have cute kittens.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I want to read the Belinda Carlyle book too - my Dad tells me she had some pretty good songs, Joanie...

I'm glad for SR...I struggled alone with this for 15 years...I wish I'd have known places like this existed...and I'm glad for you too 'Hev' - I wish I'd known people like you existed too

D
Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74
I want to read the Belinda Carlyle book too - my Dad tells me she had some pretty good songs, Joanie
Warning...thread divert alert...fiesty seniors on deck...!

Hev, I'll hold him, you tackle him. We may be older, but we're wiley...

Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dee, don't make us come down there.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't mean to hijack, but with such great feed lines, what's a Dee to do?....

D
Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey hevyn

i am going to check but i think you were one of the first people (along with many others still here) that became my friend when i first started posting- seems like a long time ago- wish i was on your program already but i am in the process... i remember your name. thanks for all of the well wishes and your strength is inspiring.
Love and Peace to You
Dub
Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
Warning...thread divert alert...fiesty seniors on deck...!

Hev, I'll hold him, you tackle him. We may be older, but we're wiley...

Hey, I may be a youngin, but I know who Belinda Carlyle is...and D's older than me!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Definitely will get that book Hevyn. You are an amazing support to me, but more then me to EVERYone that logs onto this site. I have never met anyone with more compassion then you and I am so grateful to know you and to call you my friend.

Thanks for giving so much of yourself and with no thought of payback ever. You never ask for anything in return. It took me awhile to believe that there could be people like that in the world until I met you. You've restored my hope. Hugs - Sarah
Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hevyn, it's people like her, people like you who give people like me (those who love an addict) hope.

Your recovery is such an inspiration to me, and as far as I'm concerned, we may have arrived at recovery from different paths, but the path ahead remains the same and I am honoured to have you walking it with me.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I never expected these lovely compliments - it touched me so much. In the beginning, I didn't think an online group could do a thing to really help me. I couldn't have been more wrong. Some of the best friends I've ever had are here - I couldn't do without you.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
6/20/08

This thread has brought tears to my eyes. I can not put into words how much this site....and all of you....bring to my recovery.

There is not another soul I can talk to about my alcoholism....that Truly get what I'm trying to say. Coming to SR is kinda like being at a huge family reunion....we all talk at once....we don't always make a lot of sense....but together we want to be better people.

So....thank YOU, Hevyn. Without you and the good people of SR, I have no doubt I would still be a drunk. Crying, and praying and feeling like crap...looking for the strength to quit drinking....every morning of my life.

Awesome thread.