Notices

Hello SR

Old 05-30-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hello SR

I'm so thrilled that I have found a forum community that I believe can help me with what I've denied for so long is a real problem.

I'm 22. I've had a nice paying job at a Fortune 500 company for over 3 years now. I've got loving friends and I appear to my coworkers to be a generally happy man.

Unfortunately I am an alcoholic. I have been now for I'll say 2 years, maybe more. Deep down I've truly known this for some time but have not admitted it. I'm bipolar and am currently on medication for depression (which it instructs not to mix with alcohol). I currently drink anywhere from 6-8 beers and probably sometimes that plus half a pint of liquor a day. I can see it finally starting to consume my life.

I won't get into the details or sob story on why I believe I became an alcoholic; i'll spare that for another time.

I've quit cold turkey and I guess you could give me an online "just for today" chip. I have a doctors appointment Tuesday with a new PC doctor (I haven't been to a doctor in probably 4 years). Theyre drawing blood as an initial check and if Im going to tell the doctor of my condition and ask for medical advice. My fear is that by quitting cold turkey I may have a seizure or something drastic while I'm at work and as most alcoholics are they are embarrassed of it and dont want it in public light.

I want to say I look forward to spending time here and getting advice from you guys and gals as I attempt to beat this alcoholism.

Thank you!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Rambler. You will find support here. Smart of you to consult your Dr. I look forward to reading more from you.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Rambler)) - Welcome to SR!! I'm glad to hear you are going to a dr. and will be honest. A good dr. can be your best ally, but they can't help you if they don't know the what they're dealing with.

I wish I had had your insight at your age..could have saved myself a couple of decades of misery. Alcohol isn't my "thing" (I'm a recovering crack addict) but I think you'll find that our stories, here, are similar, no matter what we've abused. The support here is fantastic!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Perhaps it would be wise to see your doctor before you quit so that you can get some medical help in getting safely and comfortably thru withdrawals.

Welcome to the SR family. Lots of support and good information here, so use this forum like your life depends on it. Helping others stay sober helps us stay sober so it's a win-win situation all around.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Perhaps it would be wise to see your doctor before you quit so that you can get some medical help in getting safely and comfortably thru withdrawals.
Perhaps you're right.

I've done some research on DT's and alcohol withdrawal and it turns my antidepressant medication "Clonazepam" is a benzodiazepine which is used to treat withdrawal.

That being said I'm aware that there is danger of cross addiction and this is why I don't see danger in quitting now, 2 days before the appointment but we will see.

Thank you guys for the welcome

by the way, this video of Craig Ferguson is about 90% of the reason I've decided to change my life: YouTube - Ferguson Speaks From The Heart
Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great video!!! Thanks for posting the link. Also, welcome! You came to a great place for support and I applaud you for choosing to change your life today. You can do it! Hanging out here has made all the difference in me not picking up a drink today.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Glad you are here.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Rambler.
Let us know how your appointment goes on Tuesday

D
Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi and welcome to SR.

I do hope you talk to your doctor about the amount of alcohol you are drinking because as you know, withdrawal can be dangerous.

There's also plenty of help, support and friendship in AA. There are lots of alcoholics in AA who are successful in their business life, and yet work knows nothing about their drinking or their recovery. I hope you consider going along to get some help.
Good luck and stay in touch.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey-
nothing I can add other than stay with your plan- you have a lot of company, and help here. By the way Petty rocks. Very cool guy.
Hang in my Friend
Dub
Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Glad you found it here! Hope you get the help that you need. Keep coming back. <3 hugs
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you friends; I'll let you know how the appointment tomorrow goes
Old 05-31-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Deffo keep us in the loop. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

THANK YOU for that link!! That rocked my Monday!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello again friends . Just got back from the doctor. First time I've been to one in years. She was a really nice lady and I was pretty nervous about telling her my condition. But after I did her eyes almost lit up immediately. She told me she was very proud that as a 22 year old I recognized my condition and searched for medical advice first. She did advise not to go cold turkey until the blood test results come in. When she felt me she said she couldn't feel my liver which is a GOOD thing.

I feel good guys
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey TheR,

Great that you followed through with that doctors appointment.

Realizing that staying drunk is more embarrasing than looking and asking for help, is a big click!

Will listen to the youtube link you shared, right after my son falls asleep.

Take care and keep coming back!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome rambler!!!

glad to hear the doctora appointment went well!!! also glad to hear your liver wasnt enlarged, i on the other hand was not so lucky when it came time to check my liver. Im also 22 i have some sort of growth on my liver from both drinking and an eating disorder.
But it was told to me that it is non threatening thank the good lord!
Luckily i am currently in recovery i have 27 days sober now and counting!

anyways i wont go on about myself

Hope to hear plenty more from you!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

She mentioned there's a medication that makes you feel sick by consuming any form of alcohol. Has anyone heard of this or used it before?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's probably antabuse? I've never used it.
There are recent threads in the Alcoholism forum tho, TR.

D