Notices

depressed

Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy depressed

guys im soo depressed sober... everyone keeps saying it will get better but its not... I feel horrible about being such a miserable person... does it get better? and why is this sooo hard!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi hmc and welcome! How long have you been sober? How long did you drink? Do you have any support from family or other recovering people? I think it takes time to learn how to live again sober - I know I'm having to be patient with myself these days.

You're doing the right thing by reaching out and this is a great place to get the support you need - it's helped me tremendously. Keep posting! :ghug3
We ALL deserve to be happy and sober, no matter what we've done in the past.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes it DOES get better, it just may take a while and may not be noticeable at first. It's so hard 'cause we are so used to drinking and it takes big changes in our lifestyle and attitude. Hang in there. If the depression doesn't lift on it's own in a few weeks you may want to see your doctor and/or a counselor. It's helped me a lot to see my counselor once a week.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes guys going on 73 days!!! i have a ton of support but the depression wont lift, i thought this would be sooo easy. I know what hard work is now i guess. Its such a rollercoaster everyday. The mixed emotions never seem to end, happy, sad, mad, depressed, anxious, worthless, and then top of the world
Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hmmm..... I think I can relate. I'm early in this process, too (28 days) and am just not used to dealing with my feelings (especially anything that seems negative, including boredom), and want some kind of fix. That's a little different than depression, though, which I've had off and on since my late teens. I know that's not what I'm feeling today (and I'm on antidepressants anyway).

The signs of depression are a feeling of hopelessness, lack of interest in anything/anyone, sleeping too much or not sleeping at all, increase/decrease in appetite, and a bunch of others. When I've been depressed in the past, I wanted to curl up in a little ball away from the world, or just disappear. Does that sound familiar or no? Do you think this is related to your sobriety? It would be good to identify just what you think is you're feeling depressed about, if you can.

Like least said, if you can't shake it, it may be wise to see a counselor/doctor. Some doctors specialize in addiction, too.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hmc
welcome

I think mood swings are part and parcel of early recovery, especially if you're simply not drinking and nothing else. Are you doing a programme or something?

It's always possible depression can be caused by something else too - if you're worried, or you think it's gone on too long I think seeing a Dr or a counsellor is good move

D
Old 05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks guys!!! Yes i do want to curl up in a ball and give up at times!! This thing is soooo hard sometimes. Im still doing a outpatient program but my emotions are sooooo strong sometimes, The anger is at times out of control, like throwing things, cussing, punching, i never was like that on drugs!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Have you seen a Dr. and talked to them about it. I am not diagnosing you my any means but for me I know that it was my depression that I drank to "feel better" while alcohol is a depressant as I am sure you know, so it worked for a while and then after years it didn't work anymore, just made me more depressed.
Also, for me right now I am very newly not drinking but AA meetings have saved my life thus far as far as the depression. I can be depressed all day and there is no way I walk out of any meeting, and I am learning that some are just better than others, but even at the ones I havent enjoyed the most, there is no was I can walk out of there depressed and I hope it stay that way for me forever!

Take care!
<3 Dream
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im only on my first weekend and I am about to go nuts, especially since its a 4-day holiday weekend. Made it through the week just fine and now Im sitting here thinking about all my friends relaxing at the lake or at a local drinking establishment and all I can do is sit here and watch TV. Luckily I have SR or I really would be going nuts. I just wish it was the morning so I could get out on my bike and relieve some of this pent up anger and stress about not being able to drink. On a lighter note I'll sure feel alot better in the morning than I normally do Good luck in your recovery I can only pray I make it 78 days!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi hmc7

Is it possible that you are feeling resentment at having to give up, rather than celebrating the fact that you have given yourself a new lease on life?

I think it is important to replace what you have stopped (which was negative) with something more positive. Perhaps you could go back to study or start a new hobby?

Maybe some anger management classes, Yoga, meditation anything to start building the "new" you into someone you like being.

Hang in there! :ghug3