Notices

Dirty ******* Alcoholism!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dirty ******* Alcoholism!

I have 33 sober days today. I took my dog Jessie in today for her yearly shots and blood work. She came back heartworm positive! That may seem minor to lots of folks but she is my best friend. This is the first test of my sobriety. Thoughts of beer were flashing across my mind coming home from the vets' office.
Why is alcohol such a dirty *******? It hits you at your lowest and highest points! I know it would only make things worse but I can't help but want a drink right now! I have an AA meeting in an hour....I gotta let this out!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Stang,

I'm sorry - stress is always a bad one - it's even worse when it's over something we love like a pet.

It's natural to think of drinking at times like these - we all did it for years...it took me a while not to think that way instinctively....

but man - you're not drinking...and you're going to a meeting...and you're there to deal with stuff for your dog sober - that counts for a lot

And I don't know much about dogs but I hope Jessie will be ok
D
Old 05-28-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Stang))) I'm glad you're going to a meeting. My beloved cat, Elvis, was recently diagnosed with 2 fatal diseases. I've got 3 years in recovery, but my first thought was "I want to get numb". I didn't....I cried, I reached out to my bestest friends in recovery (who happen to be here, at SR), posted here, then found out what I could do for Elvis.

Turns out, one of those friends knew of a supplement that could help him. I can't cure him, but he's still here and I'm enjoying every minute I have with him....CLEAN! He deserves that.

Do what you've gotta do, but don't drink over it. All that will do is add guilt to what you're already feeling.

Big hugs to you and your furbaby!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, check this out bro, my dog means more to me than words can say, and I've been sober over 5 years. I hope that everything works out ok. I'll say a prayer for you that you realize a drink wont fix anything, including your dog. That's what meetings are for, to let the things out and be around people who really do care. Some won't understand cause they don't love dogs the way we do, but they'll show you love just the same. God Bless
Old 05-28-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am currently fostering a little heartworm positive dog. Treatment is quite good these days. Ask your vet what you need to do. I'm sure she'll be ok if you get the treatment started right away.

Good for you for not drinking over it. I'm a big dog lover myself (as if you couldn't tell) and that was one of the big reasons to get and stay sober: to take good care of my dogs as both have special needs; one elderly and one diabetic. Now that I'm sober I can be a better dog-mom to them, as well as fostering this sweet little boy.

I will keep your dog in my prayers for getting rid of her heartworms and for her good health.:ghug3