Notices

AA/Sobriety_phobia

Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA/Sobriety_phobia

I am scared of spiders.
I don't dislike them, I don't kill them, I know they are the good guys. Yet I'm still scared of them. I wouldn't call it a true phobia, but I can run quicker than a cheetah if one crawls on me or worse when it comes down in front of my face. I'm trying to face this fear by catching them in a glass and releasing them outside. If I need a bowl it's my husband's turn.

Okay I can see you asking what the heck (being polite) is she talking about.
I'm talking about being scared of being sober, trying AA etc. even though we know it's good for us and will do no harm. It took me over three years to realize that I have an unexplainable fear of facing life without being numbed by my friend 'alcohol'. I didn't want to go to AA because it took my prescious time that I need to feel sorry for myself instead, it was all about GOD and I can't have that. I'd be struck by lightning if I was to enter a church.

I did enter a church on Wednesday and yep, I'm still here. Women's meeting an all. Reservations? Heck yes. A room full of women that have known each
other for a while and in I walk, the newbie.
Got it wrong again, they were warm and welcoming.
So, I'm going to put a big bowl over my fears and release them outside.
As long as nothing crawls all over me I should be okay.

PS: I wasn't going to let out this secret, but I'm one of those women after all , my knight in shining armour is Sir Mark75. I couln't have faced my phobia without him.

Have a wonderful, sober holiday weekend SR.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am scared too, was scared.... sobriety, life, AA...

That's why I always try to live just for today. When it gets too much, worried about tomorrow and all, never drinking again, AA... I try to remind myself that it's one day at a time. When I remember to do that, it's manageable, and lately, it's all good, as long as I live in today, just today.

For me this is where my higher power comes in. I will get what I need. Maybe not everything I want, nor expect, but just what I need, sometimes more, a lot more, it's happening today.

Hmmm.... Doesn't seem like I should invite you to West Virginia for canoe camping on the river this weekend... lots of creepy crawly things... 1st spider that crawls over me, I'll think of you....

Se y'all when I get back. Have a great Sunday morning meeting Marion!!

BTW... it was YOU that did the hard work, not me... in fact, for me it was a real pleasure and remember, you help me as much as I do you....

Mark
Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I understand your fear.

I am not an AA person, but the idea of living sober absolutely terrified me.

I had no idea how to start, how to get through a day, how to spend time alone with myself.

My fear kept me drinking for longer than it should have.

And, believe me, you will be able to handle life with alcohol.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Alcohol is "cunning, baffling, powerful"

It will do anything to keep you drinking - even giving you a phobia. Well done
Old 05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What a GREAT post.

I'm 150 days in and if I'm being really honest with myself, fear has, is, and maybe will continue to play a big part in my life.

I'm looking forward to being able to remove some (most) of this fear. I'm on step 8 and I'm full of fear at the moment (not all related to step 8).

F.E.A.R - False Evidence Appearing Real
Old 05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

A favourite quote of mine on fear....

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened ~ Mark Twain
Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I was more scared of jails and institutions then I was going to AA
Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
I was more scared of jails and institutions then I was going to AA
I can so relate
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

The Trantra say the key to enlightenment is facing our fears.

I believe it. When I found myself facing my biggest fear ever, homelessness, I found it was not the worst thing that had ever happened to me after-all.

IMO the steps are designed in such a way a to force us to face our fears. Thus leading us to a Spiritual Awakening. Call it Spiritual Experience, Epiphany, Satori... what have you. When we face or fears and see they are not real, we see the truth about ourselves, our faults and our potential to change.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was so scared....my life was horrible - I hated it and I hated me - for years - but I was still absolutely terrified at the thought of giving any part of it up....

It took me nearly dying for me to make the jump into recovery.

To me now, I think that was part of my alcoholism...I was a little bit insane (sometimes more than a little bit too)

D
Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh ya spiders and I YIKES!!! we have some pretty big one here!!! they love our damp climate!! but the biggest fear was me getting sober...to actually have to live my life without a bottle of wine next to me....to face all the crap I created because of my neglect and darn right disrespect of the law....l think now my life is better because I'm managing it...rather than running from it...(like spiders!! Great post!!!