Notices

Sponsor Status, I think I ended up w/ 2!!!(Unofficially)

Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Thumbs up Sponsor Status, I think I ended up w/ 2!!!(Unofficially)

Duh Da Dah!!! Dream has one...at least a temp. one.

I was so upset b/c the meeting apparently moved and I couldnt find it...the old location didnt know where it moved to. I called the AA hotline they told me it was at the old address in an ed. center so I drive back there and there is a sign for the ed center at the church, but the ed. center is gone.

Luckily as things have been happening for me right now there is a couple there looking for the meeting (a man taking his wife to the meeting) and she throught she has heard it was moving to a shopping plaza up the street so we set out looking for it, in the meantime I happily started dialing all of the cell #'s I have that all the woman gave me at the meetings this past week and of the woman that told me how great this meeting was. I was thrilled to finally "get" what the phone #'s are for besides just calling in a crisis time. I couldnt get in touch w/ anyone though but I felt great dialing those #'s.

We go to the shopping center and I see the place and remember hearing the name (meeting started about 3 minutes ago at this time) and overhearing people talking about the meeting moving there.

So I went in and it was a cozy croup of about 25 woman. Right as I sat down the host asked if anyone had anything they really had to get off their chest etc. (hopefully she meant right then) b/c I raised my hand and said Im Christine Im an A and Im sorry for bieng late but I dont want to leave this meeting without a sponsor, or at least a temp. one! Yeah, go me!

I must have missed something b/c she said Ok great so we have a couple people then tonight that want sponsors or at least temps before they go tonight and she said there were a ton of great qualified ladies there, stick around after the meeting and well get you 2 one, she said this is a really great bunch of woman and I said thats what I hear, and thats why I am here, and everyone seemed really happy I said that.

It could be coincidence, but the topic was 4th step and admit everything to another person and peoples struggles (especially woman) with doing that. A lot of people there had a TON of clean time and I dont know (but I think) they do this on purpose, but they knew a couple newcomers were seeking sponsorship so many people incorperated talking about their temp, first or only sponsors into their sharing. I dont know if thats a coincidence, God thing, or people do it on purpose when a newcomer expresses their great need for something like a sponsor b.c I have noticed that happens a lot in meetings. It's like the magic of AA I think, or I know I am very new, at least a part of it.

I am going into this much detail b/c I know that Senzafinne and someone else askes about obtaining a sponsor today so I wanted to share my full story of obtaining one for them so they can see how I was successful in getting one, but it was very easy.

At the end of the meeting a woman shared and was middle aged, she was very articulate and looked like a professional woman and was sitting w/ her sponsor.

At the close of the meeting the host (who I had met at mondays meeting and was wondering how much clean time she had vb/c she was about my age and seemed a lot like me and I was wondering if she would be there tonight and potentially be my sponsor but then on the other hand I was thinking (since my mother is an A and not in my life, not that I am looking for a mother) but someone in that age group may be a better fit, at least at first for sponsorship. She said since a couple people needed sponsors would everyone capable, qualified, and willing to be temp sponsors raise their hand, and just about every hand in the place went up, including the host, the younger girl so i decided I wanted her and from her moderating learned she has 6 years and her husband has 5, I thought in my situation w/ my husband hopefully getting involved eventually I thought not knowing anyhting about any of the woman I would pick her. I was in awe but had no idea who raised their hand and didnt except for her.

But....as soon as the meeting ended the woman who shared last's sponsor came up to me and introduced her sponsee, and told me ehow great of a person she is and what a great job she would do with me. So I knw her sponsor pretty much made the decision but thats OK I trust God that hes putting the right people in my life right now so he put her for me but I am not sure she wanted to do it since her sponsor prettty much handed her off to me, but she seemed happy to do it and its not a marriage so I can always give it a go.

We were chatting a bit and another ladt came over and asked for my # too, I asked my new sponsor so what would you leike for me to do I want to get started, she said she would call me tomorrow and we exchanged good nights etc. then the other lady asked for my # and said she would call me tomorrow too. So I may have 2 sponsors, I told her I was a wreck so maybe she wants to do it more than the original lady but I dont care Ill take both to start.

i dont know the deal on 2 sponsors but it works for me for now b/c I can give it a week and see how it goes and then make the best decision for me after I see how they both interact with me. The 1 lady was kinda sent over to do it by her sponsor and the other lady seemed to genuinallt realy want to do it which I really like, but its a strange situation but I dont hink it would hurt to have the 2 like I said, I may need an army to deal with this mess
No, Ill pick one but Ill let them fight over me if they want. J/k like I said Ill just make the best decision for me, now I see why everyone is telling me this is a time where I need to be a bit selfish. Things are making sense now and I see that is something that in AA probably never stops. I love it so far, truly!

So Ill be getting 2 phone calls tomorrow and can talk to the ladies then (interview time about their clean time, their working the steps etc. basically use all the tips that I got HERE about choosing the best sponsor for me, from everyone that responded to my post on here, then Ill go from there.
SR is such a great compliment to my AA experience thus far, goes together like cookies and cream, sooo perfect!!!

So thats the DETAILED story of how Dream sought out, and got her very first AA sponsor, for those that wondered how that goes down, or at least did for me!

Oh!

I did tell both of these ladies about my opiate use as well, so maybe thats why God put both of those ladies in front of me maybe tonight?

Maybe 1 would be more interested in working with alchie/ junkie as a sponsee as opposed to just an Alcoholic.

We'll see and ill keep you all posted and promise if its not something someone had just asked about, I'll give you the abriged version

<3 Dream (is coming true!!!)
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad too here the good news for yourself! Sounds like everything is comming together great for you! I need to give AA a shot too. Keep up the good work
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey 308,

Thanks! I really do hope you give AA a chance... oh and you live in Atlanta like me, (sorry we may have talked about that before, but I have met sooo many new people, in this past week, between here, and AA, I am a bit lost on Whos Who and Whos What is What

Im in the E. Cobb area and the meetings here so far have been great to me as a newcomer, I havent even had close to bad experience at not even 1 yet! There a lot of love in those rooms!

Let me know!

<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found the Atlanta AA hotline, which I will be doing tommorow. I found one at a local tretment center at 7pm. But would like to find one midday when my stress becommes the worse. I got about a week out before my whole program completley begins.

Im an alcoholic and a addict though. My everyday addiction was alcohol though. I just dont wanna make anyone upset thinking im at the wrong type of meeting.
Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is a good one I am going to (I have only been once so far this past Wed. a good group, smaller, but about 1/4 of the people were new comers and then the rest with a lot of clean time, I met a couple of 26 year and 18 year sober ladies) Its nice b/c its alwys Mon Wed and Fri at 12:30 same time same place which is nice b/c I hate the traveling and seeking out new meeting locations.
I am going there tomorrow, not sure about Mon b/c I have to go to the Dr but I dont know what time yet.
Are you near E. Cobb?
If you want to PM me your city I have the big shedule book here (and its online but the online website is a little confusing at first for GA) and some of the info isnt updated.
If you feel comfortable doing that, I can look in my schedule book for a day meeting for you. There are lots of 12, 12:30 and 11 AM. Let me know your city and preferred time and Ill message you back the meetings.

<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dream,

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Nothing wrong with 2 sponsors. Keep us posted.