Notices

People w/ lotsa clean time on newcomer board

Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Your right Dee, I like to think that too!

<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I should read and post in the newcomers forum more often.
I usually stick to the substance abuse forum, but there is not a whole lot of feedback there, not sure why.

I had almost 2 years, would have been on June 7th. I went back out there for 3 weeks.
Realized I wasn't missin' a damn thing!

I'm very glad I snapped out of it and came back to recovery, and I thank SR for being here for me!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recovery1983 View Post
in my opinion, whether you are a newcomer or someone with some time under your belt, all of us benefit from each other's struggles and successes. I like coming to the newcomer's section because it constantly keeps me grounded. Reading the struggles that the newcomer's go through helps me remember that i was there not too long ago and i can end up back there if i drink.
amen!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I learn something valuable from everyone here. I learn what to do from those with more sober time than me and I learn what not to do from those who have 'gone back out'. It helps to remind me of where I came from and what is possible if I stay sober.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dee is one in particular that was about a year sober about the time I got here....I hung on to every word he said!
I know, thread jacking, but he is awesome, isn't he? Dee has helped bail me out when I've been having a rough time, and I feel that the best that one can do over the internet, really looked out for me. This site is all that much better because of him. Dee....
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

quit it!

LOL

D
Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozgoddess View Post
This raises what might be considered a vague and pointless question but here goes... "when is one not considered a "newcomer"?
Probably depends on who is doing the considering.

For me, it was when I realized that the obsession was gone, replaced by a spiritual awakening.

blessings
zenbear
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If not for those with long time experience, I'd not be clean and sober today.

The 12th step of our program is quite clear that we need to give it away in order to keep it. Expanding on that, I've found that the more I offer love to others in the form of gentle direction, the stronger it gets and the more it is returned to me. My gratitude obliges me to give back what was so freely given to me. I do that by sharing my own experience, strength and hope....not by telling others how to "run their program."

I don't confer status to time sober, but I do regard recovery as a skill set; and, the longer I practice it the better I get at it. Thus, those with lots of time sober are probably worth listening to (but not always). I've also known people with long time abstinence but nothing like what I'd consider "recovery." Generally, these are folks who attend meetings but have never felt the need to do the steps. (my opinion, of course).

whenever someone asks me to sponsor them, I express my gratitude to them. anyone who is shy about seeking sponsorship (as I was) might consider how much of a blessing you will be to the sponsor. I find it impossible to be a teacher without also being a student, and every time I work with a newcomer, I'm working with myself as well. Hopefully, the day I stop growing will be the day I die.

I suppose....to be kind of glib....in terms of growth, we each and all water and fertilize each other. One drunk helping another....that's the magic.

blessings
zenbear